DRC: UNT put together a good recruiting class quickly under Eric Morris, but how does it stack up in the new American?

Brett Vito

Nice job @Brett Vito.  Here are "my opinion" observations

Not so sure SMU "landed" as "bank-rolled" the class. Their new moto seems to be "We can pay more than others"

With the composite rating, not so sure they give a true indication on UNT's class. Rivals, which is included in the composites, did in all honesty what looks to be a half-assed effort. Other than Jayven Anderson and Brian Nelson (3-stars), they gave all of the other players the same 2-star rating, or still no rating.

Taylor is seeing the impact of having a 2 million dollar contract at the G5 level. Takes up a lot of the budget. Perhaps instead of having 8 analyst (to go along with 3 GA's), he could reallocate some of those positions to recruiting staff.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Also remember the factor in that the number of recruits you got the boost you quite a bit in rankings... Disregarding the average player rating.

Here are teams in the American or that are going into the American that our average player rating was higher than.

FAU

Rice

Memphis

Tulane

ECU

Temple

Tulsa

Navy

I made the same observation. To note, to our higher average only includes the 7 players rated. If the other 6 receive low ratings due to being lower sought after recruits, that average will drop. Personally, I care little about stars. I care about how many other offers they had at some point and whether or not they actually make it to campus.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

47 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Also remember the factor in that the number of recruits you got the boost you quite a bit in rankings... Disregarding the average player rating.

Here are teams in the American or that are going into the American that our average player rating was higher than.

FAU

Rice

Memphis

Tulane

ECU

Temple

Tulsa

Navy

giphy.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

It's not really a fair comparison.  For instance, Blake Fann has no rating.  If you saw his video and knew that he was a first team all-state in Class 6-A you'd be certain that he had a three-star rating but 247 didn't evaluate him at all.  Furthermore, if they did evaluate him now I think that it's highly doubtful that they would go back and adjust the average or the total.  There may be others that haven't been evaluated but if they're non-scholarship at this signing they also won't be included.  This is another unusual year due to expanded rosters due to covid.  We had fewer scholarships due to a small graduating and a rather small number hitting the transfer portal.

On 2/2/2023 at 7:23 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Nice job @Brett Vito.  Here are "my opinion" observations

Not so sure SMU "landed" as "bank-rolled" the class. Their new moto seems to be "We can pay more than others"

That's the name of the game now, sir. And paying didn't really factor into our HS slate this year, only transfers.  Next year, HS too

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 2/2/2023 at 7:39 PM, All About UNT said:

FAU

Rice

Memphis

Tulane

ECU

Temple

Tulsa

Navy

And both Tulsa and Navy had new coaches as well. However, considering our late start I am o.k. with our ranking. We finely have a coaching staff with Texas high school and college backgrounds that are going to pay off as well if not better that UTSA and T.T.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

This only pertains to the HS recruits apparently and I'm unsure if they took in number of recruits into their analysis. I would think probably not, but just guessing and it didn't mention it in the write up.

It's Mike Craven. Dude is a clown and a UTSA grad. More often than not, he will find some way to write an article bashing us. First, we were wrong to fire Littrell. Then we were screwed in the aftermath of the Littrell stuff. Now, we get a C in recruiting without even looking at the entire context of the situation and lack of ratings for some of our players. Don't bother with that guy. You'll usually find some NT grad fighting with him in the comments because he does it to us consistently. 

• Upvote 3

Has anyone pointed this out....about the rankings?

When we first signed Jayven Anderson....it was noted that he was our top recruit ever (since 247 had been doing rankings).  He was listed at the bottom of our signees (as at the very bottom, they rank our top ten recruits ever) as being #1 overall. And as I recall....his 247 score was .88-something.

Now you go to 247....and look at the same list....he has suddenly dropped to our 4th best overall. And his 247 ranking is .8726.

Not sure what happened....unless it's the typical "discounting" of players....once they sign with UNT.

I love this class. What Coach Morris and staff did in such a compact amount of time....is phenomenal.

And a final point on recruiting rankings: Bet if we went back and looked....Tulane's classes  the last 4-5 years....would be nowhere near the top in AAC. And yet....Tulane put together a team that just finished 9th in the nation.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SUMG said:

Has anyone pointed this out....about the rankings?

When we first signed Jayven Anderson....it was noted that he was our top recruit ever (since 247 had been doing rankings).  He was listed at the bottom of our signees (as at the very bottom, they rank our top ten recruits ever) as being #1 overall. And as I recall....his 247 score was .88-something.

Now you go to 247....and look at the same list....he has suddenly dropped to our 4th best overall. And his 247 ranking is .8726.

Not sure what happened....unless it's the typical "discounting" of players....once they sign with UNT.

I love this class. What Coach Morris and staff did in such a compact amount of time....is phenomenal.

And a final point on recruiting rankings: Bet if we went back and looked....Tulane's classes  the last 4-5 years....would be nowhere near the top in AAC. And yet....Tulane put together a team that just finished 9th in the nation.

Exactly, and why I pay ZERO attention to the rankings services.  

Considering the circumstances I am excited for what Morris has done and can only imagine how little I would give a $hit if Littrell was still here.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 2/5/2023 at 8:14 PM, Green Crazy said:

This only pertains to the HS recruits apparently and I'm unsure if they took in number of recruits into their analysis. I would think probably not, but just guessing and it didn't mention it in the write up.

His rankings are based on how each school's class compared to their 5 year average. Our grade is so low because Craven wrote the article when our class was ranked 111. He should have waited a couple days because everyone knew the class rankings were going to change once all the recruits were given grades. Our grade would probably be a B- with out current rank of 97. Our 5 year average is 91. 

His entire grading system if flawed though. He doesn't even take into account the level each school has been recruiting at the past 5 years. SMU has been one of the best G5s in recruiting the past 5 years and that was no different this year. But since this year's class (70) finished 2 spots behind the 5 year average (68), he gives them a B-. Meanwhile, TXST who has been one of the worst in the country the last 5 years (125) gets a B grade because this year's class (106) was less awful. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1