nUTSAck feeling the heat

Tom McKrackin

I think very little of utsa the school.  Having said that, and after attending the championship game, as long as they can continue to draw to the Alamodome they will be a problem to deal with.  That dome provides them with a great atmosphere.  Another thing to consider is that the San Antonio news actually covers them and puts them on TV and in print.  We have Brett Vito.  That’s it.

The draw for kids to play there will be there as long as they aren’t terrible.  Great atmosphere and TV coverage are real advantages.  

We literally went from looking down at them to celebrating every recruit we got a commit from that was offered by utsa like they were superstars.  That‘s pretty telling and upsetting.  

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I think very little of utsa the school.  Having said that, and after attending the championship game, as long as they can continue to draw to the Alamodome they will be a problem to deal with.  That dome provides them with a great atmosphere.  Another thing to consider is that the San Antonio news actually covers them and puts them on TV and in print.  We have Brett Vito.  That’s it.

The draw for kids to play there will be there as long as they aren’t terrible.  Great atmosphere and TV coverage are real advantages.  

We literally went from looking down at them to celebrating every recruit we got a commit from that was offered by utsa like they were superstars.  That‘s pretty telling and upsetting.  

Quite the correct post.  As others have said, I do believe it is a bubble that will burst, but we have no place for arrogance right now. They have a lot going for them that we don’t and vice versa. In the long run I think we have all we need to move past all of that, but they’ve done a great job with football.  We have the “resources” but also the apathy.  They have the inverse.  I pay them respects while also believing we can and should be on a different tier if we get serious about doing so.  

• Upvote 6

You know it must really suck to be UTSA.  First, they have a used car salesman as a head coach that is the biggest conman in college football.  Secondly, they play in a rented stadium that is 20 miles away from their shitty campus.  Their basketball team plays in a high school gym and is an embarrassment to the AAC.  Traylor has been so lucky with Frank Harris, a guy he didn't even recruit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, Jonnyeagle said:

You know it must really suck to be UTSA.  First, they have a used car salesman as a head coach that is the biggest conman in college football.  Secondly, they play in a rented stadium that is 20 miles away from their shitty campus.  Their basketball team plays in a high school gym and is an embarrassment to the AAC.  Traylor has been so lucky with Frank Harris, a guy he didn't even recruit. 

Get ready to be disappointed when Harris finally runs out of eligibility….. and utsa doesn’t fall off a cliff.  Granted, it would not surprise me to see traylor leave the same offseason.  Not necessarily because of Harris…but if he wins again this year, as we all expect, he’s going to be a scorching hot commodity.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not to be a smartass, but what resources?

The thread started based on a comparison of NT’s support staff versus the Birds lack of one. Try to keep up.  You were the second person in this thread so I thought you were up to speed. 

On 2/2/2023 at 4:42 PM, Tom McKrackin said:

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The resources spoken of in the first post.  All the additional staff that we have but they don't.

They had 5 or so more off the field position than we did. He choose where to place his people. Taylor is doing a good job not only on the field but trying to build up the programs support, but they have a more support than he lets on, it's just UNT has been more visible and it's getting people attention. Now we just have to perform on the field. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

The thread started based on a comparison of NT’s support staff versus the Birds lack of one. Try to keep up.  You were the second person in this thread so I thought you were up to speed. 

Understand. Like I mentioned he choose to put more people in Analyst and GA positions. I am sure he had people supporting those roles, just not with the titles. We are also seeing the benefit of thee extra money from not paying our HC close to 2 million a year. UTSA and Traylor playing their best Alabama version of somehow were the victims.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

We were 7-7 and a qb away from being conference champs. 

You’re not wrong.  It won’t take much to surpass them.  But to bury them and forget them forever, which should be our aspiration, we need a QB (which we may have gotten), the facility improvement, consistent quality attendance, and to f’n consistently win.  Til we do that, I won’t run my mouth at em even though I hate em.  I think we should aim higher than being their rival, but for now they’ve more than made their case.  It’s on us to get the leverage now.  We’ll see. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I look at it differently.  Every kid that commits to us over San Antonio CC is a smart one that we know won’t have trouble reading a play book or remembering how to tie their shoes.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:03 PM, greenminer said:

Very much on board with this, CE.

Traylor turned down a big offer to stay in San Antonio.  I think a big part of his attachment there, RIGHT NOW, is the success.

If he feels like there is lack of resources/effort around him and the ship starts sinking, I can imagine he jets the city the second there are any signs of his own career trajectory starts falling.  As long as they are winning they have a fan base of around 35,000.

UTSA is the biggest (football) game in town.  San Antonio is a city of 2 million with no professional football.  UIW and Trinity are a notch or two below, respectively, in college football.