nUTSAck feeling the heat

Tom McKrackin

Before UTSA'er complain that they did not have support, they need to also look where they used their "off-the-field" people - Between analyst and GA's they had 11 - we had six. As we saw with Seth, when you pay a CUSA coach like we did with Seth and them with Jeff - You have to realize there are going to be areas that are impacted.

image.png.e14f36900b35eb7a66a0eb45cc9d30c8.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Before UTSA'er complain that they did not have support, they need to also look where they used their "off-the-field" people - Between analyst and GA's they had 11 - we had six. As we saw with Seth, when you pay a CUSA coach like we did with Seth and them with Jeff - You have to realize there are going to be areas that are impacted.

image.png.e14f36900b35eb7a66a0eb45cc9d30c8.png

True, but what I find interesting is that we always saw Cole Johnson working with Aune during the games, yet Johnson isn't listed as part of the coaching staff.  Did we have others that were there and not listed?

• Upvote 2

I saw Traylor complaining on twitter about not having recruiting staff, Well don't have you broke school back up the money truck. I doubt they can afford a recruiting staff. Morris took less money to have a higher assistant pool and it's helping. Traylor will get sick of not having the funds and resources and he'll go somewhere else

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

some of those replies in that twitter thread....yikes

Do they not realize Morris and this staff have been here for all of about 8 weeks?

"We still out recruited them"

You're 23-5 over the past 2 years and have been recruiting this class for a year vs a staff taking over an underachieving team with a 8 week old staff. You should be crushing UNT, not losing recruiting battles to us. UTSA has hit their ceiling and their fans are starting to realize it. You're darn right they're worried....

All that and they still have never had a Jeff Traylor recruited QB lead their team. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

some of those replies in that twitter thread....yikes

Do they not realize Morris and this staff have been here for all of about 8 weeks?

"We still out recruited them"

You're 23-5 over the past 2 years and have been recruiting this class for a year vs a staff taking over an underachieving team with a 8 week old staff. You should be crushing UNT, not losing recruiting battles to us. UTSA has hit their ceiling and their fans are starting to realize it. You're darn right they're worried....

All that and they still have never had a Jeff Traylor recruited QB lead their team. 

There's only so much junior colleges can do. We know we are superior to them in virtually everyway. We just needed to find a staff that could supplement this which we appear to have. Traylor is already crying about not having enough money to pay his staff. No doubt some P5 will come knocking on his door soon and he'll be flying out the door when he realizes they have reached the limits of their potential. You know I'll be dancing on their grave the day that happens

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

30 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't see UTSA feeling the heat, I see them trying to take advantage of the situation and increase their funding. 

Exactly. Without the same resources they crushed the recruiting class. Their class was tops in both CUSA and the AAC. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Exactly. Without the same resources they crushed the recruiting class. Their class was tops in both CUSA and the AAC. 

Top 25 rankings should allow them to crush their recruiting class....

The question is can they keep it up with limited infrastructure

Again....he's never played a QB that was his....They don't even know if he can recruit a good QB.

If we can use this staff to improve the on field performance they won't be able to compete with us long term. Lack of infrastructure catches up eventually

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I saw Traylor complaining on twitter about not having recruiting staff, Well don't have you broke school back up the money truck. I doubt they can afford a recruiting staff. Morris took less money to have a higher assistant pool and it's helping. Traylor will get sick of not having the funds and resources and he'll go somewhere else

Sark is going to be on the hottest of hot seats this year. Traylor may not have to move very far.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Again....he's never played a QB that was his....They don't even know if he can recruit a good QB.

An interesting talking point, but I think this is overestimated.

Traylor has clearly demonstrated an ability to coach up his team.  He may flop at QB now, our experience with Fine/SL certainly resonates here, but I'm not getting my hopes up for some kind of epic UTSA collapse.

• Upvote 2

I’m not saying they’re going to collapse and yes, Traylor’s done a great job. Obviously…..he’s won 23 games in 2 years. Duh

But what I’m saying is if they don’t start investing in an Infrastructure to support Traylor, this lightening in a bottle is going to fade. They may not collapse but it’s going to be difficult to maintain 10 win seasons when the competitive landscape around them is changing (especially in Denton, TX)

And I would be worried if a coach started going public with some of these concerns. That’s usually the precursor to “fix this or I’m out”

Any coach will generally say they’ll stay at a program as long as the school is committed. What he’s saying is UTSA’s  administration needs to be more committed. And their other sports are such a disaster, what are they going to invest in? Surely they have to start getting better at basketball going to the AAC no? 

I would be a little nervous if I’m looking at the near future. Seems like as long as Traylor keeps winning 10-11 games every season all on his own, UTSA athletics will be fine. That’s a house of cards in my mind….

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

And I would be worried if a coach started going public with some of these concerns. That’s usually the precursor to “fix this or I’m out”

Very much on board with this, CE.

Traylor turned down a big offer to stay in San Antonio.  I think a big part of his attachment there, RIGHT NOW, is the success.

If he feels like there is lack of resources/effort around him and the ship starts sinking, I can imagine he jets the city the second there are any signs of his own career trajectory starts falling.

• Upvote 3