New punter kicker commit - Kali Nguma - Mission, Texas (Sharyland HS)

cousin oliver

https://www.kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/mikaeli-nguma

Kohl's Comments

Nguma recently competed at a 2022 December Showcase Camp. He scored 10 points on field goals, 107.8 points on kick-offs , and 105.39 points on punts. Nguma also attended the National Invitational Scholarship Camp in July of 2022. He scored 25 out of 36 points on field goals, 106.7 points on kick-offs, and 97.2 points in punting. Nguma graded out at the five-star level as a kicker at this event. Nguma also competed at the Kohl's Texas Showcase camp in May of 2022. He had a very impressive camp on all three disciplines and showed us that he is one of the top combo prospects in the country. He made 9 points on field goals, scored a 115.9 on kickoffs, and a 103.72 on kickoffs. Nguma competed at the 2022 Spring Ranking Event. He showed improvement in his leg strength in both kicking and punting since his last camp. Nguma can hit kick-offs over 70 yards and is still getting better as a punter. He has the tools to play in college!

Edited by Dannymacfan
  • Upvote 6
  • Ray 1

You're telling me one of the best punters in the NFL can use a 3 step technique without getting it blocked but a college punter can't? I realize many college punters do the rugby style but off the top of my head, the Baylor punter uses a 3 step technique and was honorable mention All Big 12. Shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You're telling me one of the best punters in the NFL can use a 3 step technique without getting it blocked but a college punter can't? I realize many college punters do the rugby style but off the top of my head, the Baylor punter uses a 3 step technique and was honorable mention All Big 12. Shouldn't be a problem.

When Atterberry first got on the field he was a 3-step punter and got his kicks blocked. I guess we will wait until this kid gets his chance and find out which of us is right. But my guess would be that the coaches fix it before he sees the field in a real game.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

When Atterberry first got on the field he was a 3-step punter and got his kicks blocked. I guess we will wait until this kid gets his chance and find out which of us is right. But my guess would be that the coaches fix it before he sees the field in a real game.

Fix what? Some coaches prefer the rugby style because they're harder to return, make up for weaker legs, and mask poor blocking. The 3 step technique is still used across the NFL and some of the top college punters still use it. Nothing to do with the technique. Blocking has to be better.

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Fix what? Some coaches prefer the rugby style because they're harder to return, make up for weaker legs, and mask poor blocking. The 3 step technique is still used across the NFL and some of the top college punters still use it. Nothing to do with the technique. Blocking has to be better.

I'm not talking about rugby style. I'm talking about traditional style but with 1 step. This the best technique. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I'm not talking about rugby style. I'm talking about traditional style but with 1 step. This the best technique. 

Good sir, I implore you to watch some NFL punters. Bryan Anger, Tress Way, Daniel Carlson are some of the better punters in the NFL. They're taking more than 1 step unless backed up in their end zone. That video is a drill, not actual game footage. 3 steps is common.

• Upvote 1