Eric Morris/Jared Mosley/Neal Smatresk Connection

Venson

I have a theory with the recruiting success that we have seen today. Maybe it's a question. Do you think Wren had already informed Smatresk and Mosley that he was taking the WVU job a while back? I am thinking he did and that the plan was to make it look like a surprise. I bet Smatresk already knew Mosley was going to be the guy, but to make it look like it was open to all by state rules, he ran through the process quickly because he knew all along it would be Mosley. I think Mosley knew as well and had already contacted Morris to let him know that if he wants the job it is his. I am sure he ran through the process as well to make it look like it was open to satisfy some rule. I bet Morris has been contacting a lot of these guys on his staff for a while to sell them on coming to UNT when he gets the job. To me that would explain how he was able to assemble this staff with such great recruiting pedigree in a short time. Maybe I am crazy, but that's what I think. It happens all the time in government hiring. You have a position available and you know who you want to hire, but based on government rules, you have to open it the position up to all. You tell the person you want to hire to make sure they apply. That way you can give the job to them because you can say they were the best qualified or interviewed the best when you knew all along they were the person you were going to hire. What do you all think?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4

3 minutes ago, Venson said:

I have a theory with the recruiting success that we have seen today. Maybe it's a question. Do you think Wren had already informed Smatresk and Mosley that he was taking the WVU job a while back? I am thinking he did and that the plan was to make it look like a surprise. I bet Smatresk already knew Mosley was going to be the guy, but to make it look like it was open to all by state rules, he ran through the process quickly because he knew all along it would be Mosley. I think Mosley knew as well and had already contacted Morris to let him know that if he wants the job it is his. I am sure he ran through the process as well to make it look like it was open to satisfy some rule. I bet Morris has been contacting a lot of these guys on his staff for a while to sell them on coming to UNT when he gets the job. To me that would explain how he was able to assemble this staff with such great recruiting pedigree in a short time. Maybe I am crazy, but that's what I think. It happens all the time in government hiring. You have a position available and you know who you want to hire, but based on government rules, you have to open it the position up to all. You tell the person you want to hire to make sure they apply. That way you can give the job to them because you can say they were the best qualified or interviewed the best when you knew all along they were the person you were going to hire. What do you all think?

I think this happens all of the time and has happened to most of us, but who knows if it happened here.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I think Wren kept Mosley very involved in the strategic plan for UNT, and his plans for transitioning to the AAC. I think Mosley knew the short list for replacing Seth (I'm sure they've had the list at least since last season). The Morris hire looks very much like the McCasland hire and De Long hire. Mosley was the smart hire for continuing our growth as we transition to the AAC. He was the hire I expected Smatresk to make. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I think there’s plenty of truth to that most likely but I also think there’s enough checks and balances that proper protocol was followed regardless.  I think it’s wise to have contingency plans and every University President, AD and potential AD all have them for a variety of scenarios.  Any smart business does.

• Upvote 1