PWO offers for 2023

El Paso Eagle

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

What about the transfer from Southern Illinois?  I would guess that he is a PWO but I've not seen him listed with the PWOs.  I have doubts that he is receiving a scholarship.

I think you are talking about J'Kalon Carter. Not sure if he is a PWO, or just a Walk-on

15 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Trophy Club Byron Nelson quarterback Jake Wilson commits to North Texas

Wilson totaled 8,994 passing yards and 100 touchdowns as Byron Nelson’s starter, and led the Dallas area in passing yards in 2022.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2023/02/01/trophy-club-byron-nelson-quarterback-jake-wilson-commits-to-north-texas/

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Great updates! Hopefully some of these guys can earn scholarships for next semester!

From the information I am finding, walk-ons cannot get a scholarship until after their first year. 

@TheReal_jayD @GMG24 @BillySee58 @Harry Do you have more info on this?

image.png.0020d718fde09e93ecb737a77a889f44.png

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Hoping this Chris(tian) Hurd has as much impact on the program as the last WO Chris Hurd did.

GMG

Speaking of, anyone ever hear from or know where he is now?  That '03 team deserves to be recognized this year, 20th Anniversary, and they should be involved with the program.

• Upvote 1

Grey shirting is a recruiting term that is not as commonly used as the term redshirting. A grey shirt is an incoming college freshman who postpones his enrollment in classes until the second term of his freshman year. This means they don’t take classes until the winter term.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:09 AM, ADLER said:

Trophy Club Byron Nelson quarterback Jake Wilson commits to North Texas

Wilson totaled 8,994 passing yards and 100 touchdowns as Byron Nelson’s starter, and led the Dallas area in passing yards in 2022.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2023/02/01/trophy-club-byron-nelson-quarterback-jake-wilson-commits-to-north-texas/

I saw Jake knock Weatherford out of the playoffs in ‘21.  Best QB I’ve seen play in Roo Stadium since Lamar’s Shane Buechele.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

On 2/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, Green with Envy said:

Historically, how many PWOs have we carried?   What is the norm for a G5 program?

Unless it's changed lately you could carry 20 on your roster.  The maximum number on the squad after the season starts is 105 and the maximum number of scholarship members is 85 meaning that 20 is the maximum number of walkons.  I would guess that a PWO is guaranteed to be in that 20.  You can actually start fall practice with 120 on the squad but it must be pared down to 105 by the start of the season.

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2023 at 4:25 AM, GrayEagle said:

Unless it's changed lately you could carry 20 on your roster.  The maximum number on the squad after the season starts is 105 and the maximum number of scholarship members is 85 meaning that 20 is the maximum number of walkons.  I would guess that a PWO is guaranteed to be in that 20.  You can actually start fall practice with 120 on the squad but it must be pared down to 105 by the start of the season.

It looks like it's up to 110. However there seems to be ways around it. One reference I found mentioned BYU averages a max of 123

17.11.3.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants. [FBS/FCS] There is limit of 110 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution's first day of classes or prior to the seventh day before the day of the institution's first contest, whichever occurs earlier. (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 12/15/06, 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17, 4/25/18, 5/19/21)

14 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It looks like it's up to 110. However there seems to be ways around it. One reference I found mentioned BYU averages a max of 123

17.11.3.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants. [FBS/FCS] There is limit of 110 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution's first day of classes or prior to the seventh day before the day of the institution's first contest, whichever occurs earlier. (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 12/15/06, 4/26/17 effective 8/1/17, 4/25/18, 5/19/21)

I don't think there is any limit on the number of players or walk-ons a D1 team can have.  There are limits on the number that can take part in organized practices and suit up for games. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2