Why is recruiting with Morris > Littrell?

Tom McKrackin

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Can you rank classes today? I’m a believer in the TP really don’t care how high our HS recruits are ranked. I’m a Morris fan and look forward to seeing how players develop.

Agreed,  Seth brought in the same talent as Morris at the HS level..these transfers seem to have legit proven experience.  I fully expect next HS class to be the best we've ever had with the way the staff as been hitting it.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm pleased with Morris so far but this is such a trash take. SL had the number 4, number 2, and number 1 recruiting classes in CUSA from 2019 to 2021 (247 rankings). Recruiting wasn't the problem.

Except he couldn't recruit a quarterback. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

I have to say, and it has been said here before, recruiting is getting to be a smaller part of it these days. Don't get me wrong, it is important,  but how those kids fit in the system and the system itself speaks more to the performance of the team. 

With that said, sometimes pure size can beat out any system. The good thing with that is we aren't necessarily competing with B12 and SEC sized players even in the American.

• Upvote 1

I think towards the end Littrell wasn't as good as in the prior years, but I think people forgot how good his first class was. Littrell and company put it together with a week more time, but coming off a 1-11 season.  You have 3 maybe 4 HOF'ers in that class.  The ratings were lower but the sites were way more stingy back then.  I pray this class is as productive on the field as that one.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Except he couldn't recruit a quarterback. 

Yeah for sure the biggest flaw minus one of the best QBs at UNT, Mason Fine. Every other position was well evaluated throughout his tenure. We had defensive players go on to start at P5s and get some looks in the NFL (Hall, Hamilton). Same on offense with the transfers and NFL looks or in the case of Guyton, legit playing time.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I hear Rayveon might finally be eligible and play this year.

I did too but the sticking point is that he is now drawing Social Security and they are trying to determine what amount of benefits he can accept without decreasing his SS pay. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I hear Rayveon might finally be eligible and play this year.

SL had quite a few highly rated defensive recruits/transfers never be eligible or see the field. What could have been. On the bright side, Rayveon Hoston still appears to be working hard towards his dream. He's also got a pretty good following on Twitter and Instagram so hopefully he's monetizing that while he pursues his dreams.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I did too but the sticking point is that he is now drawing Social Security and they are trying to determine what amount of benefits he can accept without decreasing his SS pay. 

Lol, I just looked at his Twitter. He’s preparing to play in the XFL. At least he’s trying to follow his dreams.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This is fair take. But overall seth improved North Texas recruiting. 

The team improved overall from where it was athletically after Seth was hired (thus why he was hired), but his major failure was not being able to replace Mason Fine with an equal value QB.  A team goes as your QB goes.  Aune was serviceable but not great.   Seth as a HC was serviceable but not great.  

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

SL had quite a few highly rated defensive recruits/transfers never be eligible or see the field. What could have been. On the bright side, Rayveon Hoston still appears to be working hard towards his dream. He's also got a pretty good following on Twitter and Instagram so hopefully he's monetizing that while he pursues his dreams.

Somehow he out aged me!?

• Upvote 2

Way early to compare Morris with anyone.

At this point, all I can conclude is that the publication of recruiting is much improved. 

I am very hopeful that recruiting is improved, but I don't see any four stars and few major recruiting wins over top tier G5 programs.  NT also is way down the list in current CUSA recruiting, muchless when compared to AAC teams. 

Morris considering his late start in recruiting appears to be doing great, but the real test will be next year.

Add: Fortunately this post is not aging well with Morris getting a commit from the highest rated player in NT history.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4