NIT Bracketology

CMJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 4:44 PM, CMJ said:

As of February 16th, we're projected as a 2 seed in Penn State's region, with a home game against Arizona State to start the tournament.

A 2 seed in the NIT means NT is among the last 8 not in the NCAA tourney. That is approaching the bubble.

It's similar in the drating one by the way.

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'd like us more in the Big Dance but I'll take any postseason play. Could be a way to pad these away/neutral win numbers.

I’m seeing A LOT of love for North Texas this morning on Twitter. Not sure if it will equal to an at large, but the positive press has been great to see!

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’m seeing A LOT of love for North Texas this morning on Twitter. Not sure if it will equal to an at large, but the positive press has been great to see!

I don't think our chances of an at-large are any better than last year. We really have no bad losses but people don't view CUSA strong enough to warrant any losses... Rice took Texas to OT, UNC Wilmington has 21 wins, St Mary's is ranked one of the top teams in the country, and FAU has been very good.

Really is about perception when you see the love Texas A&M is getting with a weak SEC schedule (so far, Tennessee and Alabama coming up in 2 of the last 3). Ta&m has 2 Quad 4 losses against #213 Murray St and #227 Wofford. They lost by 28 to #64 Colorado. All 3 of those teams are barely scrapping .500. They also lost both their Quad 1 non conference games, one of which was to Boise State which the 4th best team of CUSA beat (Charlotte). TA&M has handled conference play fine which should make a reasonable person question the strength of the SEC since they couldn't handle OOC play but that won't be the case. It's a damn shame.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Joe Lunardi would have UNT as 79, 3 behind the first 4/next 4 out bubble teams. Below Clemson who just gave Louisville their 4th win of the season. Clown stuff.

Rodney Dangerfield of BB is UNT?

Remember, the '21 team that beat Purdue ( who was the home team of the Tourney being 45 minutes from the stadium!!!) had a worse record at this junction than our team this year. But, you are seeing some talk about us making it to the NCAAs. Let's hope that we just win out. Grant is the MAN!

BY the way, Houston alumni said that they were going to our game to support us when we ran into them in INDy. Nothing else to do in that town everything was closed!!!

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't think our chances of an at-large are any better than last year. We really have no bad losses but people don't view CUSA strong enough to warrant any losses... Rice took Texas to OT, UNC Wilmington has 21 wins, St Mary's is ranked one of the top teams in the country, and FAU has been very good.

Really is about perception when you see the love Texas A&M is getting with a weak SEC schedule (so far, Tennessee and Alabama coming up in 2 of the last 3). Ta&m has 2 Quad 4 losses against #213 Murray St and #227 Wofford. They lost by 28 to #64 Colorado. All 3 of those teams are barely scrapping .500. They also lost both their Quad 1 non conference games, one of which was to Boise State which the 4th best team of CUSA beat (Charlotte). TA&M has handled conference play fine which should make a reasonable person question the strength of the SEC since they couldn't handle OOC play but that won't be the case. It's a damn shame.

My gut says we are viewed the same as where we were at the end of last regular season.  But, now we have 3 more games to play.  3 more opportunities to pad our record, plus whatever transpires in the CUSA tourney.

Though not a guarantee for an AL (teams have been left out before), once you approach 30 wins you are definitely in the majority of AL conversations.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

My gut says we are viewed the same as where we were at the end of last regular season.  But, now we have 3 more games to play.  3 more opportunities to pad our record, plus whatever transpires in the CUSA tourney.

Though not a guarantee for an AL (teams have been left out before), once you approach 30 wins you are definitely in the majority of AL conversations.

I feel the same. At the end of the day, keep winning and hope for the best. I think we have a team capable of making a run. If not, I'd love to see the committee deny a 28 win UNT an at-large bid for some 18 win Big 10 team just to see the hypocrisy.

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Lunardi’s CUSA needle has always seemed really tough to move. He seems like a guy who will believe when he sees it, very tough to convince when it comes to giving the benefit of doubt to a second CUSA team

Which is wild when you think about recent tournaments. Since 2015, CUSA has had 5 teams pull off first round upsets despite only being a 1-bid conference. Since 2019, the MWC has been 0-8 in the tourney. 2020 had no tournament so the MWC numbers are even worst when you consider they had 4 bids last year (0-4). CUSA has performed well despite poor seeding. It's time that's recognized.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

This is a fools way of looking ahead but if we go 28-6 with our only loss in the CUSA finals….then watching all these 18-13 teams get in. 🤐

Might as well scrap all the metrics at that point. Really baffles me they can pick and choose what parts of the NET to follow. A team shouldn't jump over another. No reason a team with 13 losses should get an at-large bid anyways.