North Texas lands 5 Commits to Wrap Up Last Recruiting Weekend

TheReal_jayD

14 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

On paper, doesn't it look like that these are scholarships offered under the presumption we aren't getting the SOC guys? They are positionally the same for the most part. Maybe i'm reading into it too much.

Hopefully not, that would be very disappointing

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Not tryna hate on Seth but like…what was he up to when he was here. Morris is already killing it in just a few months 
Girl Door GIF

I heard that he never visited some schools right down the road from us. Given our lack of good QB the last few years, their eye for talent was always in question 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

50 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Not tryna hate on Seth but like…what was he up to when he was here. Morris is already killing it in just a few months 

IMO this all comes back to the KState situation.  I think many will tell you the story of SL is a story of before-and-after all that unfolded.

Whatever happened, not getting into those details, but he was clearly figuring things out up until then.  There were one or two recruiting classes that were starting to impress the heck out of me.  Then Kstate fell through and it seemed like he just decided to coast until his last day in Denton.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You are hating on Seth but I get you have to hype up your boy. You are only on this board because of Morris so you wouldn’t know that Seth’s staff was actually very good at recruiting and did it with a much smaller staff.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=C-USA

Good at recruiting?  Come on man,  guy never even sniffed a conference trophy once.  Morris is running circles around him in just a couple of months. And staff size is on him.  He needs to go to Wren if he needs more staff.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 9

9 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Counterpoint: Nearly half that class transferred or never had meaningful playing time for us.

It can and probably will happen to Morris too. That's the two edged sword of NIL/Transfer Portal recruiting. You can bring all the talent in the world in. Doesn't mean much if they don't actually help you

I agree with that. My point was that it is way too early to disrespect the prior staff’s recruiting (other than quarterback) until we see notable and verifiable improvement.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Counterpoint: Nearly half that class transferred or never had meaningful playing time for us.

It can and probably will happen to Morris too. That's the two edged sword of NIL/Transfer Portal recruiting. You can bring all the talent in the world in. Doesn't mean much if they don't actually help you

This is still a revisionist lens. He and the staff averaged a top three class in CUSA even walked away with a #1. Whether the staff developed or held onto that talent is a separate debate. But we have 2 NFL receivers and a slew of all-conference guys. Improvements to O-line. I'm excited about the future here, but come on just because it didn't pan out with Litrell doesn't mean him and the staff didn't have their merit. 

When it comes to Morris, like in the case of say... Darden, some of these offers have dried up UTSA has an almost full class, most of their recruiting was done before the ESP. We will get a gauge of the reality of where we stand next cycle. Some of these recruits would have been picked apart by the same for only having one other off or only the service academies, etc.

It's an exciting time but the results are far from in, and it's just a bias against Litrell and what he accomplished. Even Morris stated this isn't an empty cupboard and spent a lot of time recruiting the guys he had already on campus. That's not necessary if Litrell was as bad at recruiting as you all seem to think he was. Let the roster walk and bring in your own guys then. Both things can't be true.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

This is still a revisionist lens. He and the staff averaged a top three class in CUSA even walked away with a #1. Whether the staff developed or held onto that talent is a separate debate. But we have 2 NFL receivers and a slew of all-conference guys. Improvements to O-line. I'm excited about the future here, but come on just because it didn't pan out with Litrell doesn't mean him and the staff didn't have their merit. 

When it comes to Morris, like in the case of say... Darden, some of these offers have dried up UTSA has an almost full class, most of their recruiting was done before the ESP. We will get a gauge of the reality of where we stand next cycle. Some of these recruits would have been picked apart by the same for only having one other off or only the service academies, etc.

It's an exciting time but the results are far from in, and it's just a bias against Litrell and what he accomplished. Even Morris stated this isn't an empty cupboard and spent a lot of time recruiting the guys he had already on campus. That's not necessary if Litrell was as bad at recruiting as you all seem to think he was. Let the roster walk and bring in your own guys then. Both things can't be true.

Dude I like you and usually your posts, but I am calling bullshit on this one.  If what you said is true and Littrell was setting the world on fire with his recruiting, why in the F did we have 8 QB's on the roster, none of which could play?  Why did UTSA curb stomp us in recruiting year in year out, starting with landing Frank Harris who we all know and will know again this coming season?  I guess UTSA was just that much better than us with all of their facilities?  I won't say Littrell's recruiting sucked but he certainly did not take advantage of many tools he was given like the indoor practice facility?

Also on that note, if another poster comes on here defending Littrell's recruiting versus past coaching staff I think I will throw up.  Littrell had WAY better facilities and conference etc to sell.  Way better.  He did enough to get by and that is basically it and to say otherwise if revisionist.   The man did not win one conference championship in 8 years and C-USA is not the SEC.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

47 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Dude I like you and usually your posts, but I am calling bullshit on this one.  If what you said is true and Littrell was setting the world on fire with his recruiting, why in the F did we have 8 QB's on the roster, none of which could play?  Why did UTSA curb stomp us in recruiting year in year out, starting with landing Frank Harris who we all know and will know again this coming season?  I guess UTSA was just that much better than us with all of their facilities?  I won't say Littrell's recruiting sucked but he certainly did not take advantage of many tools he was given like the indoor practice facility?

Also on that note, if another poster comes on here defending Littrell's recruiting versus past coaching staff I think I will throw up.  Littrell had WAY better facilities and conference etc to sell.  Way better.  He did enough to get by and that is basically it and to say otherwise if revisionist.   The man did not win one conference championship in 8 years and C-USA is not the SEC.

The point is that we all were excited when he recruited and signed his classes including those 8 QB's just like we are all excited with what Morris and staff are doing at this time.  The difference is that we can now look back and see how SL's classes turned out/developed.  We don't have that ability yet with Morris' class, so you are not comparing on like information.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I enjoy a good debate, so here's my counter. I'm basing my recruiting on the overall metrics and rankings on popular sites like 247, ON3, Rivals, etc. I never said Litrell got every drop out of what he has to offer. But you can't argue that he didn't compete and beat most of his competition in the realm of of recruiting. Not on field performance, in-game decisions, staffing choices, etc. I'm isolating my argument to recruiting. Which, by G5 standards was above average and by conference standards he was in the upper echelon.

North Texas was behind UTSA in 2022 but... the three years prior UNT's class was all ranked ahead. This is the exact revisionist mindset i'm talking about. They might not have maximized that potential, but by all exterior metrics the class was considered better year over year at UNT.

image.png.07fa356a00a51f1f8064527ad077b41b.pngimage.png.f39636e7664d816e5879c81e7b077c89.png

image.png.48de047e0ab6f343d7dec4f7124f2cd0.png

Hell last season we had 5 All-CUSA first teamers Horton, Gummes, Mose, KD, Texada. We have an elite receiving core still in the building and had one of the better o-lines in the country. Running back room has been more than full the entire time he was here. Litrell didn't lose his seasons in the offseason recruiting periods it was in player development, and in some of his coordinator hires.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Counterpoint: that 2021 class were redshirt freshmen last year and already included several of our top players such as Gumms, Blair, Vailea, and Rod Brown. Many are still here and still have time to develop.

• Upvote 3