You’re going to hear me talk (or see me type I suppose) about North Texas when it comes to Coach Harrell. I know that was two stops ago, but I think it’s the best example of his offense. At USC, he coached under Clay Helton, a guy with a heavy background on the offensive side of the ball. The offense you saw from Graham with the Trojans was clearly a collaboration between Harrell and Helton. At West Virginia, Neal Brown was another head coach with a background in offensive play calling, and it’s rumored he would unplug Coach Harrell’s controller on occasion and call plays, or at the very least, give strong recommendations. It’s no coincidence Neal Brown is expected to call plays for the Mountaineers in 2023 in an effort to save his job (based on a limited sample size that has worked exactly 0 times).

At North Texas, while Seth Littrell also had a back ground on offense, the precipitous decline of the Mean Green after Harrell dipped for SoCa, leads me to believe what happened at North Texas was the pure, unadulterated Harrell offense. I’m sure he’s picked things up since then, but I have a hunch that Purdue offense is going to look more like the Harrell’s North Texas offense, and less like “his” USC or West Virginia offenses.

To give you a taste of what I expect, his 2017 North Texas offense averaged 37.1 passing attempts and 36.8 rushing attempts. His 2018 Mean Green offense averaged 38.8 passing attempts and 35.5 rushing attempts. To put that in perspective, Purdue’s offense averaged 41.6 passing attempts and 33.3 rushing attempts (that’s with 2 Austin Burton games skewing the numbers). Brohm’s 2021 offense averaged 44.3 passing attempts and 29.7 rushing attempts. Harrell throws the ball a little less and runs the ball a little more than Brohm, and I’m good with that.

This is a unique opportunity for Coach Harrell. He’s the man in charge of the offense. I’m sure Coach Walter’s will have basic game plan input, but this is Harrell’s show. In his first 3 stops as a coordinator, he had a former play caller looking over his shoulder, now he’s on his own. Purdue’s offensive success (or failure) will be on him. I can 100% promise their won’t be rumors of Coach Walters taking over the play calling mid-game.

I’m excited to see how things work out.

read more:  https://www.hammerandrails.com/2023/1/27/23571723/purdue-football-coaching-staff-graham-harrell

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

To be clear, the words in the original post were not written by the original poster.  It's the take of some writer at Purdue.  It's obviously a biased take, but it's interesting to see how he hopes Harrell recaptures the magic he had at North Texas, versus what he did at his following two stops.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

To be clear, the words in the original post were not written by the original poster.  It's the take of some writer at Purdue.  It's obviously a biased take, but it's interesting to see how he hopes Harrell recaptures the magic he had at North Texas, versus what he did at his following two stops.

I get that, and I think it's okay in this forum.  I just think it's more of a timing thing.  We just flushed the SL era into our past and some people aren't going to revisit it for now, even one of the more endearing pieces to it.

I see the Steve Austin thread, too, and wonder if this is a case of the original poster finding a handful of pieces on the internet that mention Mean Green, and he is trigger happy when it comes to starting new threads.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I get that, and I think it's okay in this forum.  I just think it's more of a timing thing.  We just flushed the SL era into our past and some people aren't going to revisit it for now, even one of the more endearing pieces to it.

I see the Steve Austin thread, too, and wonder if this is a case of the original poster finding a handful of pieces on the internet that mention Mean Green, and he is trigger happy when it comes to starting new threads.

That's exactly what it is. Too many Boomers on this board that decide to create threads for no reason whatsoever except for the desire to post content to try and be relevant. I'm going to start calling them out by names if they don't stop.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

That's exactly what it is. Too many Boomers on this board that decide to create threads for no reason whatsoever except for the desire to post content to try and be relevant. I'm going to start calling them out by names if they don't stop.

Pathetic.  I don't really care one way or the other about this thread, but I care far less for the pompous attitude on display in this specific post.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 2

9 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Too many Boomers on this board that decide to create threads for no reason whatsoever except for the desire to post content to try and be relevant. I'm going to start calling them out by names if they don't stop.

Why do you feel the need to do this?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:17 PM, All About UNT said:

I don’t think @cousin oliveris a Boomer, but I could be wrong.

• Haha 2