UTEP (1/28/23)

CMJ

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Dude I like your posts usually, but I gotta call bullshit on this one.  Ousmane is the reason we are so dangerous in G5.  He is a P5 level post.

I’ll call your bullshit and raise it to double bullshit!  Abou has been ABOUismal…ABOUt worthless and ABOUtsolutley awful since Christmas break.  He cant buy a layup, he is 50-50 from the free throw line, he has 3 fouls before every halftime, and he has been tech’d multiple times in close games.  The team is rarely ever able to stretch leads when he is on the floor.

• Upvote 8
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

I’ll call your bullshit and raise it to double bullshit!  Abou has been ABOUismal…ABOUt worthless and ABOUtsolutley awful since Christmas break.  He cant buy a layup, he is 50-50 from the free throw line, he has 3 fouls before every halftime, and he has been tech’d multiple times in close games.  The team is rarely ever able to stretch leads when he is on the floor.

Frustrated Skip Bayless GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

This team is much better with Abou on the court.  When teams play him straight up, he usually plays really well. The struggle has been with the double teams, but that’s usually a struggle with developing big men. GMac prefers to play inside/out.  Dude is a really good player. His foul trouble has been frustrating, but I think he’ll figure it out. 

• Upvote 6

I was incredibly frustrated watching Mac essentially beg a pit full of 4,000 people to stand up and cheer when his team was up 12 at home with a few minutes left in a conference game.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone.  He rebuilt this thing into a perennial contender, a team most mid majors don't want to play and a host of the power schools refuse to play because of how well they play defense and do the little things right.  Sure at times the offense is rough, but what would you rather do, score 100 a game and be under 500 every year or have phenomenal defense, and suspect offense at times but win 70% of your games every year.  I know which one I will take.  The offense and talent can continue to increase as you continue building winners.   I was glad to see that Mac and company joined the student section as that gives me hopes he thinks he can build the hype for the program through the students and eventually they'll be young alumni and continue coming because the older generation of fans that are attending sit 99.9% of the game.  Except you crazies that sit right behind UNT bench and I think y'all give the student section a run for the money most games.  

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1

53 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I was incredibly frustrated watching Mac essentially beg a pit full of 4,000 people to stand up and cheer when his team was up 12 at home with a few minutes left in a conference game.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone.  He rebuilt this thing into a perennial contender, a team most mid majors don't want to play and a host of the power schools refuse to play because of how well they play defense and do the little things right.  Sure at times the offense is rough, but what would you rather do, score 100 a game and be under 500 every year or have phenomenal defense, and suspect offense at times but win 70% of your games every year.  I know which one I will take.  The offense and talent can continue to increase as you continue building winners.   I was glad to see that Mac and company joined the student section as that gives me hopes he thinks he can build the hype for the program through the students and eventually they'll be young alumni and continue coming because the older generation of fans that are attending sit 99.9% of the game.  Except you crazies that sit right behind UNT bench and I think y'all give the student section a run for the money most games.  

He’s essentially built this thing from the ground up. I think he understands that he’s not only building a winning program, but a fan base.  The Maniacs seem to be an important part of the fan base. Like you stated, the younger alums built will come back. I think he’s in it for the long term. At least, this is what I hope. 

• Upvote 3

For a game with zero points in the box score, Rubin sure made an impact on how things played out last night. His defensive activity clearly showed up with his 5 steals and his offensive contribution probably could've been more notable if not for some really great passes that weren't converted into buckets.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Dude I like your posts usually, but I gotta call bullshit on this one.  Ousmane is the reason we are so dangerous in G5.  He is a P5 level post.

I have been a big fan of Ousmane for a long time and still am, but lately it just seems like he has not played well in big moments. I get he can have games with low double digit points, but the times he can't get rebounds, has bricks for hands and misses easy P5 layups seem to be more often.

As a defender, maybe I was a little harsh. He is top 3 on the team defensively.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Abou is a traditional post player that is shooting less than 50% from the field. That is bad bad bad. We’ve seen enough for <this year> to say he’s more likely to have bad game than good game. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

For a game with zero points in the box score, Rubin sure made an impact on how things played out last night. His defensive activity clearly showed up with his 5 steals and his offensive contribution probably could've been more notable if not for some really great passes that weren't converted into buckets.

I like Rubin's game a lot, but I also think his style of play would be better suited to a more up tempo offense.

• Upvote 2