We need to hire Mean Joe Greene

Jonnyeagle

This is a little bit of a rant so bear with me on my soapbox if you will.  

Not sure what he is up to or if he would  be interested, but I think we should create a full time positon for Mean Joe similar to what UT does with Vince Young in Austin.  Mean Joe should have a restaurant names after him in Denton and he should be at all or most of the games with his NFL Hall of Fame jacket on and his superbowl rings shining brightly.  This guy is such a jewel for North Texas and we owe it to him to provide him this opportunity and it would be stupid for us not to utilize his fame and recognition in his twilight years.  Boxer Jake LaMotta and singer Frank Sinatra had similar roles for entertainment establishments.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 8
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Not sure what he is up to or if he would  be interested, but I think we should create a full time positon for Mean Joe similar to what UT does with Vince Young in Austin.  Mean Joe should have a restaurant names after him in Denton and he should be at all or most of the games with his NFL Hall of Fame jacket on and his superbowl rings shining brightly.  This guy is such a jewel for North Texas and we owe it to him to provide him this opportunity and it would be stupid for us not to utilize his fame and recognition in his twilight years.  Boxer Jake LaMotta and singer Frank Sinatra had similar roles for entertainment establishments.

Hey Jonny if I remember some years back Vince Young was fired from that position because he never showed up. Texas was paying him good money for being that Ambassador.

Edited by Danish43
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Danish43 said:

Hey Jonny if I remember some years back Vince Young was fired from that position because he never showed up. Texas was paying him good money for being that Ambassador.

I think it was a DWI that did him in.

Edit: I guess I was wrong, it says he was fired for poor performance and not showing up. Coincidentally, he was fired less than one month after his 2nd DWI in 3 years both having occurred while serving in this outreach role. So while DWIs may have been a contributing factor, Sports Illustrated reported that he was fired being absent.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2019/03/09/texas-fires-former-qb-vince-young-part-time-job

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

10 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

He's in the Hub Club almost every home game.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, ADLER said:

Joe has been incredibly generous with his time. He already makes the trip from his home in beautiful Flower Mound just about any time that he's asked.

He's not as young as he used to be, but he still gives 100% effort.

Easy to give 100% effort when you don't have to cross a freeway to get to the stadium!! *cough cough* 🙄

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 2

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Easy to give 100% effort when you don't have to cross a freeway to get to the stadium!! *cough cough* 🙄

The bridge over I-35E is fully wheelchair compiant but also in the Orange Lot there are free stadium shuttles provided by the university. These are especially useful if you or somebody in your group is mobily impared. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/26/2023 at 2:04 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

While the idea to create a Mean Green themed restaurant is solid, I'm fairly certain that Vince Young has little to do with the steakhouse in Austin. He gave them the rights to use his name but that's kinda the scope of his involvement if I understand correct. He's the poster boy for bad business decisions sadly enough

• Upvote 4

As to the topic... Joe isn't as spry as he once was. Plus, I wouldn't want to see his image cheapened by parading him around all the time like Santa Anna's wooden leg. If the athletic department wanted to involve Joe in marketing UNT football, it should be in a way that honors his legacy and stature. He should not be presented like some used car salesman trying to sell our football program. 

I think an appropriate course might be to inquire about him recording a series of audio narratives for UNT football. These could be merged with relevant video and highlights for the development of promotional commercials. If we had a professional marketing firm develop this series of 30 second dialogs promoting the Mean Green, we could market a commercial for a year or so, and be able to continue this marketing campaign with other Joe Greene promotionals for 10 to 20 years. I think something along those lines could be impactful. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3

On 1/26/2023 at 3:41 PM, UNTLifer said:

Mr. Greene has been more than gracious with his time supporting North Texas.  I think UNT has milked that for about all they can get.  

Agree 100% and this again is another example of leadership thinking small and taking half measures.  It would have been great if he had an official salaried role starting in 1995 going forward.  Maybe it was offered but how many of you would bet something significant that an official offer was made to Joe during that time?  And I also think the term milked is properly used.  Exactly the feeling I get when they repeat that Coke commercial.  Overall the athletic department has done a bad job properly honoring legends at the proper time, magnitude and context.  I often bring up Odus Mitchell because I believe his contribution are criminally undervalued and minimally acknowledged.  There is NO FOOTBALL program here without his success.  He Intergrated college FBS football in Texas.  We aren’t talking about North Texas Football legends Abner Hayes, Leon King and Joe Greene without Mitchell.  And it very unlikely Hayden Fry chooses to come UNT without the foundation Mitchell’s regime built.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

I often bring up Odus Mitchell because I believe his contribution are criminally undervalued and minimally acknowledged.  There is NO FOOTBALL program here without his success.  He Intergrated college FBS football in Texas.  We aren’t talking about North Texas Football legends Abner Hayes, Leon King and Joe Greene without Mitchell.  And it very unlikely Hayden Fry chooses to come UNT without the foundation Mitchell’s regime built.

My thoughts exactly. 

• Upvote 3