Mason Fine looking to take the next step in Saskatchewan

cousin oliver

5 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

fineriders2022.jpg

There is a lot of mystery at this point on who will be the Saskatchewan Roughriders starting quarterback when they begin the season on June 11 in Edmonton.

Entering his third year with the Roughriders, Mason Fine is looking forward to competing for the position when the team begins training camp this May.

The Riders quarterback was a guest on Tuesday’s edition of the SportsCage with Michael Ball.

Fine said his goal entering the 2022 season was to build off his rookie campaign as he continued to make the transition to the professional game.

At the beginning of his sophomore year with the Riders entrenched as the backup, the North Texas product was hoping to provide Saskatchewan with a solid backup plan at quarterback. He felt that he got off on the right foot.

“I think I had a great training camp to start off the season and I really think I took some strides there with all of the reps that I got. ”

Last season, Fine saw the majority of his action in three games. He came in relief for Cody Fajardo against the BC Lions on August 19 and was the team’s starting quarterback for their final two games of the season against the Calgary Stampeders. The QB ended the season with 690 passing yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions.

The 25-year-old hopes to take his game to another new level in 2023.

“I think I made great strides from 2021 to 2022, now I need to take a bigger step forward and get better overall as a quarterback.”

read more:  https://www.620ckrm.com/2023/01/25/308260/#.Y9Ge12lJczd.twitter

I wonder if he has considered USFL. They were fun to watch last spring and they were on TV.

Does anybody know what the average salary is in the CFL. I realize there pay is nothing like the NFL.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

I wonder if he has considered USFL. They were fun to watch last spring and they were on TV.

Does anybody know what the average salary is in the CFL. I realize there pay is nothing like the NFL.

CFL pay I know is better overall but with Canadian taxes and being a backup in CFL the difference might be minimal.  I assume he would start in the USFL.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched highlights from the games and he was up and down. Hard to determine if he was pressing because basically it was a tryout and how much first team work he got before getting thrown in there. 

His strengths are also his weaknesses. He holds the ball a long time and passes up shorter gains to look downfield.  It results in him making plays but also taking hits and just not taking what the D gives. Would love to see him win the starting job and settle in to the position. 

Said it before and I still believe it, we only got about 85% out of him while he was here. 

There’s a play that will look familiar to UNT fans  

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 4

On 1/26/2023 at 2:46 PM, Danish43 said:

https://www.canadafootballchat.com/who-is-the-cfls-highest-paid-player-in-2022/

Average is between $60,000 and $100,000.  Highest paid player makes about $550,000.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2023 at 3:31 PM, UNTLifer said:

https://www.canadafootballchat.com/who-is-the-cfls-highest-paid-player-in-2022/

Average is between $60,000 and $100,000.  Highest paid player makes about $550,000.

The CFL Pro QB experience will be good to get on his resume but he is still taking a beating at QB.   I see his future in coaching perhaps, maybe as an OC.  More $$ and less hits.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, rcade said:

I'd like to see him stay in the CFL for next season. I watch that league and it's common for a backup to get a shot as a starter. He's got the passing skills to succeed there.

If the O-line for Saskatchewan does not improve they will probably have several backups play this year.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:04 PM, NT80 said:

The CFL Pro QB experience will be good to get on his resume but he is still taking a beating at QB.   I see his future in coaching perhaps, maybe as an OC.  More $$ and less hits.

Jeff, Mason wants to be Chief someday of Cherokee Nation as he has stated. But yes I agree with you on his football future. Mason is a leader and smart too.

• Upvote 1