Breaking: North Texas Lands Commitment from Aledo Offensive Tackle Isaac Sohn

TheReal_jayD

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking: North Texas Lands Commitment from Aledo Offensive Tackle Isaac Sohn
  • Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: UNT lands former UTSA commit Isaac Sohn

I just watched his highlight video, and he has more pancakes than IHOP. Ok, that was a corny joke, but he was mauling guys in almost everyone of these cherry picked clips. Aledo played a lot of schools with FBS talent and he even labeled some of the guys "3 star DT of 5 star LB" that he was going against in the video. I was impressed seeing him go out and block on screen plays. This is a good addition to the OL.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2K7SDd

Offers:

UTSA, Air Force, Lamar, Dartmouth, La Tech, New Mexico St, Sam Houston St,  San Diego St, SMU, and Texas St

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I just watched his highlight video, and he has more pancakes than IHOP. Ok, that was a corny joke, but he was mauling guys in almost everyone of these cherry picked clips. Aledo played a lot of schools with FBS talent and he even labeled some of the guys "3 star DT of 5 star LB" that he was going against in the video. I was impressed seeing him go out an block on screen plays. This is a good addition to the OL.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2K7SDd

Offers:

UTSA, Air Force, Lamar, Dartmouth, La Tech, New Mexico St, Sam Houston St,  San Diego St, SMU, and Texas St

Utsa was a Grey shirt offer ( just for transparency)

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

They switched it to grey shirt after he had committed to go transfer route. 

According to Vito's article it was due to Sohn's injuries and UTSA having a lineman come back. 

UTSA’s coaching staff asked Sohn to delay enrolling until the semester break, so that his scholarship could be pushed back to the 2024 class, a process known as grayshirting.

“They had another offensive lineman come back for another year and wanted to grayshirt me because I was a little unhealthy this season,” Sohn said. “I was on crutches and in a boot. I just got out of the boot and have been working my way back.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

According to Vito's article it was due to Sohn's injuries and UTSA having a lineman come back. 

Yes and according to UTSA recruiting guy the injuries played a factor. But a key factor in making push to greyshirt was because they had a guy wanting to commit that could help quicker. UTSA probably did push the injuries as excuse to grey shirt. It sounds better than hey we have another guy needing your spot at moment. Utsa really struggled at oline depth last year. Why they went juco and transfer route to get some guys who can help at two deep right away. North Texas has a little more luxury to let Sohn and Majiga develop a year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

15 hours ago, Green with Envy said:

Winners know how to win.    Fill the cupboards with these! 

Well, if they already know how to win, then that means we could also save some money on coaches' salaries........😎

Winners expect to win. They are unphased by adversity/mistakes. They don't go sit on the bench and pout and brood when something doesn't go their (or the team's) way. They are usually very focused and don't waste their time mugging for the camera.

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There's some he-said, she-said, they-said dynamics at play here.  Some people, people from both sides, choosing words to either make them look good or save some face.

I think Sohn's quote is actually brutally honest. He basically said UTSA pulled the scholarship offer for next fall because they wanted someone who could contribute and not redshirt. Like JD mentioned, UTSA is trying to win BIG next year and oline isn't a big strength so they need as many bodies as possible. Whereas, our oline is already set and we're not in "win now" mode so we're fine with him probably redshirting. 

• Upvote 5