utsa (1.26.23)

UNTLifer

37 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I guess you can just fall away as you shot and get it called a foul. utsa players were looking for those fouls all game long. 

I'm more frustrated that our guys haven't taken advantage of this all season. If that's how it's being called, you know what to do to get the call when you're on offense.

• Upvote 2

A few side notes from the game

-Why do we not run more iso's with Huntsberry and Perry? We used to do this with Hamlet and it was very effective.

-Brett Vito was looking at his laptop during the national anthem...really?

-The student section was energized

-The game activities are lacking big time; the air gun shot all the T-Shirts into a section with no one. Then pointed it at the student section with the air gun not working.  

-I think we should hire a well know DJ in the area or get some Youtube celebrities to show up for the student section to draw more attendance 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

These ugly wins are getting old. Especially against bad teams.

Our center should not have as many turnovers as he did. 5 at least? Two travels, a palming, a backcourt violation, and a pass to the camera man? I love our team but Abou is especially frustrating. He reminds me of myself playing 2K. I can't remember all of the controller button combinations to make actual post moves on the game. It often looks like he's just pressing buttons out there hoping to find the right combination, and when he shoots, he lets go of the shooting button too soon or too late.

Meanwhile, Tylor's back continues to hurt since he has to carry our team to the finish line. What is it going to take for some of the other guys to get more comfortable in the last part of the game? Do they need to run a drill in practice where whoever misses the most shots gets cut from the team? Lol.

For this, we've got to get more people in the game. Same concern as previous years - the rotation is too tight. I know it's off limited minutes but Moore has our highest or second highest 3 point percentage. GET HIM IN THE GAME!

And regarding Abou, Sissoko was a legit 4 star recruit to Dayton who has a very good mid major program. He needs to be seeing more minutes in these contests. With the amount of mistakes Abou is making, there's no justification in not having other bigs get minutes or more minutes. If Abou was playing flawless basketball, I can see where there'd be a drop in production but that's not the case so others need to be on the court.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Big Z said:

A few side notes from the game

-Why do we not run more iso's with Huntsberry and Perry? We used to do this with Hamlet and it was very effective.

-Brett Vito was looking at his laptop during the national anthem...really?

-The student section was energized

-The game activities are lacking big time; the air gun shot all the T-Shirts into a section with no one. Then pointed it at the student section with the air gun not working.  

-I think we should hire a well know DJ in the area or get some Youtube celebrities to show up for the student section to draw more attendance 

lol, what are you my grandma at church? Typical response would have been:

'what were you doing looking a Brett Vito?'

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

For this, we've got to get more people in the game. Same concern as previous years - the rotation is too tight. I know it's off limited minutes but Moore has our highest or second highest 3 point percentage. GET HIM IN THE GAME!

And regarding Abou, Sissoko was a legit 4 star recruit to Dayton who has a very good mid major program. He needs to be seeing more minutes in these contests. With the amount of mistakes Abou is making, there's no justification in not having other bigs get minutes or more minutes. If Abou was playing flawless basketball, I can see where there'd be a drop in production but that's not the case so others need to be on the court.

I would love to see more Sissoko, too. Martinez is really coming into his own, though.  Wish we had him another year. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I would love to see more Sissoko, too. Martinez is really coming into his own, though.  Wish we had him another year. 

Martinez shot about 42% from 3 on just about 4.8 attempts per game each of the past 2 seasons. He was first team all conference in 2021 averaging 13.6 ppg and 8.5 rpg. Second team all conference last year. Him not being more productive is an indictment on our slow pace and how many minutes he gets. He's averaging 19.6 minutes per game this season, his lowest since his freshman year when he averaged 19.7. And just for comparison on Martinez averaging 8.5 rpg 2 years ago, Ousmane is having his best season rebounding at 6.4 per game, granted Ousmane is playing about 9 minutes per game less than Martinez did when he averaged 8.5 rebounds per game. Still, Martinez needs to see the court more. He's capable and experienced.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Yeah I don't understand Sissoko and Moore not seeing more playing time, especially when we are up big. What is it with UNT coaches and never trying new players? 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Yeah I don't understand Sissoko and Moore not seeing more playing time, especially when we are up big. What is it with UNT coaches and never trying new players? 

Must be an interview question.

AD: How do you feel about playing deep rotations or giving bench players minutes when you have a big lead.

Candidate: I would never do that. Ride or die with the same guys no matter what.

AD: When can you start?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Must be an interview question.

AD: How do you feel about playing deep rotations or giving bench players minutes when you have a big lead.

Candidate: I would never do that. Ride or die with the same guys no matter what.

AD: When can you start?

Is that called Aune'd or McNultied?

Edit: Auneing? McNultying?

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Haha 1