Breaking: North Texas lands commitment from Shadow Creek Cornerback Brian Nelson

TheReal_jayD

28 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think a lot of people are underestimating how much talent is ending up at FCS schools.

This sounds like you're convincing yourself.  We don't need to be going after fcs recruits. That will get you an fcs roster. Not saying anything about Nelson on this but just your comment. 

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

This is a win. He had 27 offers and we beat several G5 schools for his services. 7 INTs on the season. Great addition to the defense!

Offers:

Akron, Coastal Carolina, Miami (OH), New Mexico, New Mexico St, North Texas, Old Dominion, Texas St, ACU, Air Force, Navy and 16 FCS offers (Yes 16, I am not going to list them all).

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Brian-Nelson-155044/RecruitInterests/

Some might say this is an example of how moving to the AAC is helping in recruiting. Navy was the only other AAC program to offer Nelson. All of these other offers were from less successful G5 conferences, and the FCS. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

If an unranked recruit with only low level G5 and FCS offers is a $100 bill then we have problems. 

Inflation strikes again. $100 just doesn't get you as far as it used to.

In all seriousness, though, I'm not a recruiter. I'm not a scout. I'm not a former college coach. I don't know you but I don't think you're any of those things either. Looking at stars and offers is great. It helps us feel like things are going well. Or not. Some recruits will always slip through the cracks. Do I want a roster full of "hidden gems"? No. I think more often than not, those don't turn into star D1 players. Some do, though. And some end up being high draft picks and elite NFL players. Like Shaquil Barrett who had 2 D1 offers, one of which came from Nebraska at Omaha who shutdown their program shortly after he committed, Khalil Mack who only had 1 offer (Buffalo), Bobby Wagner whose only offer was from Utah State, Clay Matthews had no offers and walked on at USC, Jason Kelce had no offers and walked on at Cincinnati, Hunter Renfrow had 1 FBS offer from App State and walked on at Clemson, JJ Watt was recruited as a TE and was told to play on the OLine at Central Michigan so he left and walked on at Wisconsin. There's Cooper Kupp, TY Hilton, Carson Wentz, and the current back-to-back national champion Stetson Bennett, and the list goes on.

Again, I don't want rosters full of hidden gems. A few will always slip through the cracks. Either they're too small of an 18 year old or they didn't attend enough camps to be noticed. Until this new staff proves they can't evaluate talent, I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1