2023 AAC transfer portal rankings

LitMedallion

Looks like SMU is running away with it at 17 players and 14 of them being 3 stars and 2 of them being 4 stars.  This ranks them 6th overall. Tulsa 1 4*, Temple 1 3*, and Tulane 1 3*.

La Tech did better than the 6 new AAC schools. Interesting data. None of us joining the AAC have a 3 star or higher. 

Power of the NIL at play? 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Whoa!  Something is amiss!  It could be the fact that many of our acquisitions did not go through the portal but we have a total of TEN who were at one time three-star players.

Landon Sides .8306

Paula Venipulu .8627

Larry Moore .8477

Dietrich Moore .8400  No composite.  247 only.

Devin Strange 5.5 Rivals only.  No 247 or composite

Trey Cleveland .8364

Dylan Brown-Turner .8511

Phil Hill .8305

Damon Youngblood .8363

Chandler Rogers  In an article that I posted at the time he finished his senior season, he was referred to as a 3-star player by 247.  Also, in the post before this one he was listed as having a rating of .8500.

In addition, Marcus Moore had no rating because he came through a junior college and the rating services no longer give them a score.  Had he taken another route to us he would have surely been another 3-star.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Tampering?

Don't even need to tamper there.  Their offensive coordinator last year was a mess, and there's an exodus far beyond what we got. 15 or 20 outbound transfers.  And then one or two of them were slated as backups next year and wanted playing time.

There are so many transfers out there if you have a few bucks to spend you can bring in players. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

57 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Don't even need to tamper there.  Their offensive coordinator last year was a mess, and there's an exodus far beyond what we got. 15 or 20 outbound transfers.  And then one or two of them were slated as backups next year and wanted playing time.

There are so many transfers out there if you have a few bucks to spend you can bring in players. 

The Miami offense most certainly was a mess. I personally don't mind much since they're joining their former OC. It's pretty much the only exception I make when tampering is a question. Are you joining one of your former coaches who recruited/developed you but was fired or hired elsewhere? Yes? Ok, fine. I realize it's still tampering but ehh, I view it from the people's perspective. It makes sense.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The Miami offense most certainly was a mess. I personally don't mind much since they're joining their former OC. It's pretty much the only exception I make when tampering is a question. Are you joining one of your former coaches who recruited/developed you but was fired or hired elsewhere? Yes? Ok, fine. I realize it's still tampering but ehh, I view it from the people's perspective. It makes sense.

I'm curious why you think there is so much tampering. At the highest end players probably so, but mid level and below, why would you think it is necessary?  Enter portal, receive bids and take visits, pick one.  If you are at a P5 and want to move, it's not like you risk having nobody want you. Also, tons of low end players end up with nobody taking them. Clearly nobody convinced them to declare. 

Edited by DentonStang
  • Oh Boy! 1

11 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

I'm curious why you think there is so much tampering. At the highest end players probably so, but mid level and below, why would you think it is necessary?  Enter portal, receive bids and take visits, pick one.  If you are at a P5 and want to move, it's not like you risk having nobody want you. Also, tons of low end players end up with nobody taking them. Clearly nobody convinced them to declare. 

I think the issue is when a player enters and then a day or two later they are at the new school

• Upvote 2

According to Chris Vannini in The Athletic, his top choice is SMU

Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.

With 17 additions (and potentially more to come), the Mustangs have the No. 6 transfer class in 247Sports’ rankings. That class includes two four-star prospects in Texas A&M running back LJ Johnson (a top-50 player in the Class of 2021) and Texas A&M offensive tackle PJ Williams (a top-100 player in the Class of 2022). Other highlights include five players from Miami (Fla.), where Lashlee previously coached, and 13 total players from Power 5 teams. Lashlee was with Sonny Dykes when SMU was at the forefront of transfer portal recruiting. That has continued under Lashlee’s leadership.

49 of the top 50 classes in the Portal Rankings are Power 5 schools.

The lone exception is SMU, ranked #6. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, DentonStang said:

The same question was brought up in another thread about a UNT starter going to Ole Miss where his former coach Marty Biagi currently is. Would those Miami players have received offers once in the portal? Probably. Is it tampering if they went into the portal knowing Lashlee had a spot open for them if they wanted it? Probably.

Sure, plenty of players enter the portal and don't find homes. It's a huge gamble on their future. If a player enters the portal knowing somebody already has a 'ship open for them, is it still tampering despite them having previously worked together? Would they have entered the portal if they weren't sure they'd get the offer or did they enter because the knew the offer was there?

The number of players SMU brings in each year compared to us is interesting.  We seem to be constantly worried about how many scholarships we have available, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for SMU.  Are they bringing in players without putting them on scholarship and using NIL money instead?  Do transfers not count toward the scholarship limit?  I assume this all gets tracked by the school and is probably reported to the NCAA, but these numbers don't make sense to me.  Here's a look at SMU's haul compared to us since 2019.

Format is Recruits+Transfers=Total

2019:  SMU - 19+16=35     UNT - 24+3=27  -- SMU +8

2020:  SMU - 18+6=24      UNT - 23+3=26  -- UNT +2

2021:  SMU - 18+13=31     UNT - 20+10=30 -- SMU +1

2022:  SMU - 13+17=30    UNT - 12+9=21  -- SMU +9

2023:  SMU - 16+17=33    UNT - 6+6=12  -- SMU +21

2023 is not over yet, but I keep reading on here that we only have a handful of scholarships left to use this year.  So what's our class size going to be this year, 17, 18?  How does SMU manage total class sizes of 30+ 4 out of the last 5 recruiting cycles?

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1

The answer is two fold:

1.  As your numbers show we focus less on HS recruiting and bring in smaller classes (NIL is easier to leverage within the rules with transfers) 

2. If you aren't needed, you are encouraged to hit the portal and move on to some place you can play, or leave the team and get on academic scholarship.  Your numbers don't show transfers out.

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, DentonStang said:

The answer is two fold:

1.  As your numbers show we focus less on HS recruiting and bring in smaller classes (NIL is easier to leverage within the rules with transfers) 

2. If you aren't needed, you are encouraged to hit the portal and move on to some place you can play, or leave the team and get on academic scholarship.  Your numbers don't show transfers out.

1. What is it 35K a player at SMU? Hey, SMU can legaly pay players now. I loved Pony Exce$$ 30 for 30. I still crack up at James being the lone boy scout from that era.

2. True, but I think more of it will be shopping services until enough collectives get burned.  

2 hours ago, LitMedallion said:

1. What is it 35K a player at SMU? Hey, SMU can legaly pay players now. I loved Pony Exce$$ 30 for 30. I still crack up at James being the lone boy scout from that era.

2. True, but I think more of it will be shopping services until enough collectives get burned.  

36k base for all scholarship players from one collective. Then the second collective pays on top of that for existing player retention where necessary, and luring in transfers. 

15 hours ago, Dpony14 said:

36k base for all scholarship players from one collective. Then the second collective pays on top of that for existing player retention where necessary, and luring in transfers. 

How is this paying them for Name, Image and Likeness?  Looks like a semi-pro team to me.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1