New Basketball Arena proposed on Light the Tower Masterplan update

NT80

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

It does when students are too lazy to walk an extra 5 minutes.

It was around 39 to 40 degrees when the game ended tonight.  Would you want to make the walk across the I35 bridge from The Hill, across the vast sea of blacktop that is the Fouts lot, and up the hill to the dorms?  Basketball season isn't played on a few warm Texas Saturdays in the fall.  It's a lot of cold winter nights you're asking Freshman and Sophomores living in the dorms to walk half to 3/4 of a mile in almost freezing temps.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

5 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

It was around 39 to 40 degrees when the game ended tonight.  Would you want to make the walk across the I35 bridge from The Hill, across the vast sea of blacktop that is the Fouts lot, and up the hill to the dorms?  Basketball season isn't played on a few warm Texas Saturdays in the fall.  It's a lot of cold winter nights you're asking Freshman and Sophomores living in the dorms to walk half to 3/4 of a mile in almost freezing temps.

*Student shuttles

Problem solved. 

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Yes.  Suck it up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

Shuttles!

Put some complimentary snacks onboard for the passengers and see how much student attendance goes up.

Better get a wide seat shuttle. How about a trail of snacks across the bridge and back or would that be too much effort to get a snack?  Would that work @rojomojo?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 3 weeks later...

Like many on this board, SJSU thinks that athletics offices and facilities belong where seating should be in the stadium. They have ninnies saying "what's the need to build more desirable sideline seating when the less desirable seating areas are not selling out".  And on a sad note, they have already started building.The rise of SJSU's Spartan Athletics Center: what means for ...

Unfortunately, like at North Texas, people at SJSU think fans will still attend but will happily sit in less desirable seating. Does anybody really think that plan works, or will those fans just stay home?

Always follow this Rule #1:  NEVER BUILD OTHER ATHLETICS FACILITIES WHERE FAN SEATING BELONGS

Rule #2:  IN CASE OF DOUBT, REFER BACK TO RULE #1

Rule #2:  IN CASE OF FURTHER DOUBT, WATCH WHAT HAPPENS AT SJSU

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, ADLER said:

Like many on this board, SJSU thinks that athletics offices and facilities belong where seating should be in the stadium. They have ninnies saying "what's the need to build more desirable sideline seating when the less desirable seating areas are not selling out".  And on a sad note, they have already started building.The rise of SJSU's Spartan Athletics Center: what means for ...

That is horrible.

11 hours ago, ADLER said:

Unfortunately, like at North Texas, people at SJSU think fans will still attend but will happily sit in less desirable seating. Does anybody really think that plan works, or will those fans just stay home?

Always follow this Rule #1:  NEVER BUILD OTHER ATHLETICS FACILITIES WHERE FAN SEATING BELONGS

The bigger crime here is that they are using WHITE LETTERING IN THE END ZONE. 

Everybody knows the official colors of SJSU are BLUE, GOLD and GREY! If they had just followed that color scheme, than the stands would be FULL and no need for a janky stadium design!!!!!

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

The bigger crime here is that they are using WHITE LETTERING IN THE END ZONE. 

Everybody knows the official colors of SJSU are BLUE, GOLD and GREY! If they had just followed that color scheme, than the stands would be FULL and no need for a janky stadium design!!!!!

So true, that would be just as STUPID. I guess stupid is as stupid does, and yes, using any colors other than their own school colors would be stupid.

Why would any school or it's fan base aim for stupid?

Thank you for pointing his out.

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of taking the big videoboard out and replacing with four smaller ones, but that's a hugely different situation than SJSU's stadium.

Agree.  It seems they could just reuse the current large video board on top of the new AC roof (in yellow).  It would be almost where it is, setback maybe 20 feet and just elevated another story.

image.png

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, ADLER said:

It looks like picnic tables and a grassy knoll, lol.  

Screen_Shot_2022_05_15_at_5.39.30_PM.png

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2023 at 2:47 PM, NT80 said:

Agree.  It seems they could just reuse the current large video board on top of the new AC roof (in yellow).  It would be almost where it is, setback maybe 20 feet and just elevated another story.

image.png

To support the weight of the video board, you'd need concrete or iron/steel posts with an unknown depth for footings to go through where the locker room currently sits. I know you mean well but there is more to doing what you are talking about than just setting it in top of the roof.

• Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

To support the weight of the video board, you'd need concrete or iron/steel posts with an unknown depth for footings to go through where the locker room currently sits. I know you mean well but there is more to doing what you are talking about than just setting it in top of the roof.

I was just saying it could fit there.  It's up to you structural engineer types to get it to stay there!

• Haha 1

Just now, NT80 said:

I was just saying it could fit there.  It's up to you structural engineer types to get it to stay there!

I forgot to mention this but the AD is planning to replace the scoreboards in the stadium formerly known as Apogee. The cost I heard was about about 2 million to replace just what we got.

I asked about replacing the boards in the SuperPit and got a response like they had never considered the idea. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I forgot to mention this but the AD is planning to replace the scoreboards in the stadium formerly known as Apogee. The cost I heard was about about 2 million to replace just what we got.

I asked about replacing the boards in the SuperPit and got a response like they had never considered the idea. 

$2 million is a big expense.  Was the big video board having problems?  I know the small board was.  Is there value in moving the big board to the softball field...or new baseball field 😎?  

24 minutes ago, NT80 said:

$2 million is a big expense.  Was the big video board having problems?  I know the small board was.  Is there value in moving the big board to the softball field...or new baseball field 😎?  

Both boards have had their issues. I was told the canon's vibrations cause all sorts of problems. I doubt there's value moving the boards to a different sports venue, especially if the boards need to be replaced. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:48 AM, greenjoe said:

Did you know that there are 4 different width seats in the Super Pit ?    This was done to provide an even number of seats, per row, as one goes higher and higher up the aisles.  The difference per seat is not noticeable until one stops and really pays attention. 

One thing to keep in mind with any remodeling of an existing stadium or arena: If you increase the average width of the seats and armrests, you can decrease seating capacity, but generally increase fan comfort. 

On 1/23/2023 at 5:00 PM, Green Otaku said:

?? It's an artist rendering from the athletic master plan. It gives an idea of what the dept. wants to do. 

We've never needed those extra 2k-3k seats. Have we ever even been close to selling out the Pit? We are in one of the best eras of UNT basketball and we struggle to look even half full. An arena with better sight-lines, closer seating, better lighting, luxury boxes, better training/locker rooms, more concessions, etc. It'd say that's a good trade off. The small drop in capacity is heavily outweighed by a purpose built tailored facility. 

The Texas Tech game 12 years ago is the last time I remember the upper deck being at least partially filled.  We didn't really fill the upper deck in the CBI Championship games 2 and 3 after reviewing the video, I thought we had.

• RV 1

3 hours ago, Talon90 said:

The Texas Tech game 12 years ago is the last time I remember the upper deck being at least partially filled.  We didn't really fill the upper deck in the CBI Championship games 2 and 3 after reviewing the video, I thought we had.

Less than one year ago.....

UNT vs Louisiana Tech February 26, 2022 attendance = 8,522

click on photo to enlarge the view....

20220226_170054.jpg

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Talon90 said:

For those that never experienced the orange seated Super Pit in the 80's and 90's along with what NTTV broadcasts looked like, enjoy.  Pretty cool site with other videos.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc982713/m1/

Man its crazy how different it looks