New Basketball Arena proposed on Light the Tower Masterplan update

NT80

I dont want to complain but I will anyway.  I think the team needs a new arena which is run by the athletic department.  I think 7 k would be right because the pit is never close to full.  

That is not my complaint.  

Why in the heck does the pit have the main entrance on the north east closed during basketball season.  We are all forced to the far side and the ticket process can be a slow one.  Could the people who are in charge of the pit could not have waited until the season was over to start.  It seems like they did this same thing last year or the. year before.  It shows who ever runs the pit has not interest in UNT athletics.  

Now get off my lawn

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Talon90 said:

The Texas Tech game 12 years ago is the last time I remember the upper deck being at least partially filled.  We didn't really fill the upper deck in the CBI Championship games 2 and 3 after reviewing the video, I thought we had.

I was at that game, really good crowd and energy. Those baggy uniforms from that era look ridiculous now. 😂

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Talon90 said:

For those that never experienced the orange seated Super Pit in the 80's and 90's along with what NTTV broadcasts looked like, enjoy.  Pretty cool site with other videos.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc982713/m1/

How cool would it be to do a throwback night for basketball? They could recreate this classic floor (with the modern green of course) and wear vintage uniforms. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

The Super Pit is not a good venue for multiple, multiple reasons. It could be worse (see: Schollmaier Arena @ TCU), but it's not going to make anyone's top 100 list of college basketball venues. Possibly not even top 200.

And that's just what the fans see. The areas for staff and players are even worse.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

The Super Pit is not a good venue for multiple, multiple reasons. It could be worse (see: Schollmaier Arena @ TCU), but it's not going to make anyone's top 100 list of college basketball venues. Possibly not even top 200.

And that's just what the fans see. The areas for staff and players are even worse.

I love it but the lighting can be tons better.

I, too, have seen some of the back rooms and that part is def lacking.  That's being kind.

Still hope to see a sellout in my lifetime.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I dont want to complain but I will anyway.  I think the team needs a new arena which is run by the athletic department.  I think 7 k would be right because the pit is never close to full.  

That is not my complaint.  

Why in the heck does the pit have the main entrance on the north east closed during basketball season.  We are all forced to the far side and the ticket process can be a slow one.  Could the people who are in charge of the pit could not have waited until the season was over to start.  It seems like they did this same thing last year or the. year before.  It shows who ever runs the pit has not interest in UNT athletics.  

Now get off my lawn

Give it time for the arena to be filled up. We have over 40,000 students and are continuing to grow along with winning seasons..

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

How cool would it be to do a throwback night for basketball? They could recreate this classic floor (with the modern green of course) and wear vintage uniforms. 

The student section needs to throwback to this game when everybody was standing and into the game, not just the first three rows.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Danish43 said:

Give it time for the arena to be filled up. We have over 40,000 students and are continuing to grow along with winning seasons..

Not growing as much as it should be. @keith has been tracking attendance and we are most likely finishing lower than last year on average. We've only average 325 more people per game this year vs last, and we have 5 seasons of winning basketball. This team should be averaging 6k a game. 

• Upvote 2

We need a new arena, period. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy or cheap but the pit can’t be constantly upgraded. Or ever fully turned into what we need for a Div 1 bball program. The people in charge can determine how big it should be but we need it in the next ten years. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

On 2/17/2023 at 6:43 AM, Talon90 said:

The Texas Tech game 12 years ago is the last time I remember the upper deck being at least partially filled.  We didn't really fill the upper deck in the CBI Championship games 2 and 3 after reviewing the video, I thought we had.

I was in the North Tunnel before that game. (Mean Green Club Members had meals before every game back then) and I saw Kent Hance. I said "Hello Chancellor I'm glad you came here for the game". During our brief conversation he said "I think y'all will be in our conference someday." I wish that statement had come true.  Maybe it will someday, but he is now Chancellor Emeritus.

• Upvote 4

I remember a sold out Super Pit back in the 70’s against SMU. Standing room only. And that was before seats were removed for scoreboards and the press. People were actually sitting in the isles. The noise was deafening and it carried right through halftime. 
I remember stepping outside after the game and it was so quiet. It was soothing. It was like two different worlds. Oh, we won the game. 
The only thing wrong with the Pit are the empty seats. 

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1

41 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

I remember a sold out Super Pit back in the 70’s against SMU. Standing room only. And that was before seats were removed for scoreboards and the press. People were actually sitting in the isles. The noise was deafening and it carried right through halftime. 
I remember stepping outside after the game and it was so quiet. It was soothing. It was like two different worlds. Oh, we won the game. 
The only thing wrong with the Pit are the empty seats. 

The biggest issue is those empty seats are happening when we are in the best era of basketball in our history. 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Honest questions:

1) How many marketing pieces have you seen from the AD this year to encourage students, alumni, or local residents to attend a UNT basketball game?

2) Where did you seen them?

I hope the elevation in conference (and more name-worthy opponents) will provide an uptick in attendance too.  Many NT students today seem very aloof to school spirit and supporting athletics against other schools.   I'm glad to see the current AD and new football staff more active on social media, as that's where the kids are:  cell phone in hand. 

I do feel the Alumni, non-campus fans, and non-tweeters have been neglected by any marketing campaigns.  The MGSF donors receive marketing, but are new non-MGSF fans being cultivated?  I have friends that only see marketing put on this board when someone posts them.  Otherwise, they wouldn't see any....  which is probably what most older fans or disconnected former students see, nothing!    

On 2/15/2023 at 1:08 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of taking the big videoboard out and replacing with four smaller ones, but that's a hugely different situation than SJSU's stadium.

Here is Texas State's new endzone complex proposal.   This is what I envision our new AC renovation and corner video boards looking like also...although I'm still a fan of a large center video board instead.