Light The Tower Master Plan Update

MeanGreen22

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

That’s even lazier than the current name. “What’s the name of the North Texas Mean Green Collective?” “Mean Green Collective”

No it was an ode to George Dunham. The “Believe in the Mean Green” collective. Or for more direct statement of intention the “Believe in the Green” collective.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

Seeing as how they have renders they must be pretty close to getting the AC going. A couple of things I notice, I wish there would be a little more glass. I feel like most modern ACs use lots of large glass windows to show off the modern interiors. Second is I'm surprised the weight room isn't facing the stadium, I feel like that's the usual set up for todays ACs. 

• Upvote 1

Basketball attendance will drop significantly from moving the arena across the highway. I know this is Texas so it may come as a surprise, but young people won't go to your games if they're located among seas of asphalt parking and located away from any hotspot of student life or activity...

Good luck trying to get students to walk 20 minutes across a highway on a Tuesday afternoon to watch UNT play Tulsa

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 10

24 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Basketball attendance will drop significantly from moving the arena across the highway. I know this is Texas so it may come as a surprise, but young people won't go to your games if they're located among seas of asphalt parking and located away from any hotspot of student life or activity...

Good luck trying to get students to walk 20 minutes across a highway on a Tuesday afternoon to watch UNT play Tulsa

They don't seem to have an issue getting to Apogee...

Spoiler

when the team is winning.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

No it was an ode to George Dunham. The “Believe in the Mean Green” collective. Or for more direct statement of intention the “Believe in the Green” collective.

Did not know that. Has more meaning to it but still a bit generic, no? Honestly, there’s no right answer to this. I have no problem with Light The Tower Collective bc I can separate what the school does vs what NIL does.

Side note: Does the old fouts location get no consideration for a new Pit? Stays on campus (sort of) and eliminates the beautiful view of a parking lot right off the highway. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 2
  • RV 1

9 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Are they going to add on to the bleachers at Lovelace? Those ladies and that program deserves a bigger stadium.

The Lace will be getting new expanded grandstands and new dugouts. Once that is complete, it will basically be a completely new ballpark. There are also plans for a softball clubhouse, so they can have their offices, locker room, and player lounge at the softball complex. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

rojomojo be like....

yVSa4V1.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1aa8c50429ff4

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, rojomojo said:

No wonder those seats at Fenway are pretty useless due to the widening of America’s asses as a result of pure laziness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

We had this interesting discussion brought up in the BB arena thread. So are the renders on the Light The Tower page final or just an idea? If they are then I have to agree with @GrayEagle and @UNTcrazy727 that our design is really lacking. 

On 2/25/2023 at 11:17 AM, Green Otaku said:

Envision? Aren't the Light the Tower renders the final design?

Screenshot2023-02-25at11_13_15AM.png.e54a15699332d26ee346160986138f35.png

9 hours ago, ADLER said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Dear Football Gods, NO! ... Do something that adds to our stadium, not just enhancing the office amenities. This location is WAY TOO VALUABLE real estate to waste by desecrating it with this limited vision project. This design is so SJSU. Find some other place to build this unsightly shed and it's 50 seats. It looks like pre-fab housing. The principle reminds me of when you'd see shacks with washers and dryer sets placed on the front porch. "It may be unsightly as hell, but we too have got one".

Why not something like Tech's revised endzone football facility which is also designed to fit between their stadium and their athletics facility? Theirs is designed to be an integral part of their stadium unlike our proposed abomination.

(We can do better, much, much better)

Texas Tech plans $200 million football facilities project

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I agree with you. If that's the final design then its extremely disappointing. I have no expectations or desire for us to match Texas Tech, but we HAVE to at least match what Louisiana Tech built. 

image.png.08ebe2dba94d8ed35a4bf894a01f7d9b.png

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

The Texas Tech end zone will cost $200 million. The La Tech endzone will cost just $15 million

That La Tech facility pictured is actually their south end zone Athletics facility, with upper-level game seating, built in 2015 for $22 million back then. 

Joe Aillet

This is their new proposed $15 million north end zone facility = no game seating, just balconies, with academic space inside and a large open area for events.

North Endzone Rendering

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

I have to think our new end zone facility is mainly functional in design for the needed AC staff space required now, and perhaps (hopefully) not the final finished product as far as stadium cosmetics and end zone suites and seating. 

It looks to be temporary as far as seating because it sits back so far from the field.  At least 50-60 feet away from the field, those are Fouts seats, lol.  This structure could be eventually overlaid with much closer seating and suites as demand and future funds become available.  Many new end zone complexes and seating are just behind the dashed field boundary line, or at least as close as the small brick wall for the grass-sloped berms.

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

I have to think our new end zone facility is mainly functional in design for the needed AC staff space required now, and perhaps (hopefully) not the final finished product as far as stadium cosmetics and end zone suites and seating. 

It looks to be temporary as far as seating because it sits back so far from the field.  At least 50-60 feet away from the field, those are Fouts seats, lol.  This structure could be eventually overlaid with much closer seating and suites as demand and future funds become available.  Many new end zone complexes and seating are just behind the dashed field boundary line, or at least as close as the small brick wall for the grass-sloped berms.

One big issue about changing this again later is re-doing the video boards (again.) From the pic we've been given you'd have to move them to build anything closer to the field. 

There's a lot of questions here and the biggest one is how much are they spending? I think that alone will tell us what it "should" look like. Because if we are spending $15m- and up we could be doing better imo. I also find it strange that they didn't opt to put the weight room, with a bunch of glass right at the field, like what LA tech did. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, NT80 said:

University of Kansas Memorial Stadium Master Plan - HNTB

Stadium Renovation Reflects Evolving Fan Experience Desires | Athletic  Business

north carolina kenan stadium — BallParchitecture

Missouri football releases virtual tour of Memorial Stadium south end zone  facility | Mizzou Football | columbiamissourian.com

Vanderbilt releases details, images of athletic facility upgrades | Sports  Business | nashvillepost.com

Thank you for the illustrations on how to correctly build end zone facilities.

I know an academic facility is important, but like a washer and dryer, you don't need to put it on the front porch to show you have one. Put the Academic Center where it belongs, and then put stadium seating where it belongs.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I have no doubt the new weight room, locker room, offices, etc. will look great once the expansion is done. But since the expansion is pushing the building much closer to the field, why not go the extra mile and build a legit endzone club level like La Tech or App State? Whatever you call the "seating" in the latest rendering is painfully underwhelming. 

image.png.6f08ddea738b577ac5323c73b265bcaa.png

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3