Jared and team working to help with better UNT merchandise

El Paso Eagle

20 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

In honor of the thread being restored here's another school that gets it!

UCF university letter mark:

image.png.510f3dd65e9546456a26318fc46d0ed3.png

UCF athletics mark:

image.png.48c7dbddd34c008b0a555799b8a41c71.png

You say dynamic, I say this is okay at best. The Cowboys don’t use some tough guy cowboy for branding. The Steelers and Packers don’t use fake caricatures either. 

NT, UNT and Mean Green are good enough first options for me. Every other idea is second tier and should be used less. We don’t need a new eagle design every ten years. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

You say dynamic, I say this is okay at best. The Cowboys don’t use some tough guy cowboy for branding. The Steelers and Packers don’t use fake caricatures either. 

NT, UNT and Mean Green are good enough first options for me. Every other idea is second tier and should be used less. We don’t need a new eagle design every ten years. 

Even if you think UCF's Black Knight logos are just "okay" its still better than what we have.

And you can't compare UNT to 3 of the most recognizable NFL teams that have had the same logos almost their entire existence. That's apples and oranges. But even if you do, I'd argue the Cowboys have a more in-depth active roster of logos than UNT. They have the star, the capital D, throwback Cowboy (riding horse), throwback star logo...while we just have the SOW, Flying Worm, and generic word/letter marks. 

You're right, we don't need a new eagle every 10 years. At this point, I think the SOW has been around long enough that it needs to be the focal point of our brand. It should be to us what the Longhorn and Mustang logos are to UT and SMU. That's why I dislike the push that's been going on recently of including the university letter mark with the SOW. To improve our branding I don't think we need brand new logos. All we have to do is look to our past for inspiration while using what we currently have...

1. Keep the SOW as the focal point. It should have a presence on every field, uniform, broadcast, etc.

2. Greatly reduce the use of the UNT letter mark for athletics and bring back the interlocking "NT". And to stay in line with university branding keep the current font of the UNT letter mark. Small adjustments would be needed on the width and length of the letters. This would give us a secondary logo that pays homage to multiple eras of UNT athletics. And as we saw with the Mean Joe Greene throwbacks, the "NT" looks great on helmets. 

3. Take a page out of Tulane's and Buffalo's playbook and bring back a beloved logo/character that gives a face to your brand. My choice would be this sweet bastard. Since the SOW is the main logo, I'd mostly limit this guy to merch like hoodies and tshirts and as an alternate helmet decal like Buffalo did.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, meanrob said:

Yes, the brand is the selling point.   People don't want to see Boise football because of their stupid cartoon horse head logo on their helmets.  It is because they play an exciting and winning "brand" of college football.

Boise State Broncos Logo, symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Even if you think UCF's Black Knight logos are just "okay" its still better than what we have.

And you can't compare UNT to 3 of the most recognizable NFL teams that have had the same logos almost their entire existence. That's apples and oranges. But even if you do, I'd argue the Cowboys have a more in-depth active roster of logos than UNT. They have the star, the capital D, throwback Cowboy (riding horse), throwback star logo...while we just have the SOW, Flying Worm, and generic word/letter marks. 

You're right, we don't need a new eagle every 10 years. At this point, I think the SOW has been around long enough that it needs to be the focal point of our brand. It should be to us what the Longhorn and Mustang logos are to UT and SMU. That's why I dislike the push that's been going on recently of including the university letter mark with the SOW. To improve our branding I don't think we need brand new logos. All we have to do is look to our past for inspiration while using what we currently have...

1. Keep the SOW as the focal point. It should have a presence on every field, uniform, broadcast, etc.

2. Greatly reduce the use of the UNT letter mark for athletics and bring back the interlocking "NT". And to stay in line with university branding keep the current font of the UNT letter mark. Small adjustments would be needed on the width and length of the letters. This would give us a secondary logo that pays homage to multiple eras of UNT athletics. And as we saw with the Mean Joe Greene throwbacks, the "NT" looks great on helmets. 

3. Take a page out of Tulane's and Buffalo's playbook and bring back a beloved logo/character that gives a face to your brand. My choice would be this sweet bastard. Since the SOW is the main logo, I'd mostly limit this guy to merch like hoodies and tshirts and as an alternate helmet decal like Buffalo did.

I agree with most of this except the cartoon eagle on the helmet. 

Im fine with SOW but like others, the current iteration doesn’t work on a helmet. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/652351-college-football-power-ranking-the-top-25-helmet-logos.amp.html

80% of the logos in this article are either letters or simple brands. Or nothing actually. 

I think the main area we differ is you’re more focused on logos and different styles of branding while I prefer North Texas or Mean Green. Not saying either is right but the latter will never change, the logos change all the damn time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes, the brand is the selling point.   People don't want to see Boise football because of their stupid horse logo on their helmets.  It is because they play an exciting and winning "brand" of college football.

Boise has had some awful combinations but that’s old man Rob speaking. 

On another note, I think their run is over. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

I agree with most of this except the cartoon eagle on the helmet. 

Im fine with SOW but like others, the current iteration doesn’t work on a helmet. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/652351-college-football-power-ranking-the-top-25-helmet-logos.amp.html

80% of the logos in this article are either letters or simple brands. Or nothing actually. 

I think the main area we differ is you’re more focused on logos and different styles of branding while I prefer North Texas or Mean Green. Not saying either is right but the latter will never change, the logos change all the damn time. 

I agree with you on preferring "North Texas" and "Mean Green". That's why I'm such an advocate for the interlocking "NT" and strongly dislike the subtle, yet noticeable shift we've been taking towards "UNT". 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 11:12 AM, UNTLifer said:

Best look and color combination by far. Talk about merchandise. They can’t keep this in stock. 

^This. So much this.

Aesthetics, as they apply to football uniforms, just don't get any better than these throwbacks. They are both unique and appealing. This is the look UNT needs to present as we play conference games on the ESPN channels against other AAC teams. That along with winning will grow UNT a stronger national brand. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

^This. So much this.

Aesthetics, as they apply to football uniforms, just don't get any better than these throwbacks. They are both unique and appealing. This is the look UNT needs to present as we play conference games on the ESPN channels against other AAC teams. That along with winning will grow UNT a stronger national brand. 

It feels like we’re moving towards the Eagles embedded in the Texas outline. I love our throwbacks, but I don’t think that’s where the marketing team is headed.  All recent videos/pics that I’ve seen have the new logo.  I’d also like to see our other sports team embrace the flying worm. We’ll see. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

This. So much this.

UNT 52, FIU 14

Edited by NT80
  • Thanks 2

On 1/27/2023 at 2:21 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Dude, I like the way you think. I've always been a fan of SOW if it could just fit the helmet better. I'm also a fan of the alumni NT and like the new helmets, only in a different/better color combo that can be seen easier. We should claim the state silhouette since we are the University of North TEXAS.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

It feels like we’re moving towards the Eagles embedded in the Texas outline. I love our throwbacks, but I don’t think that’s where the marketing team is headed.  All recent videos/pics that I’ve seen have the new logo.  I’d also like to see our other sports team embrace the flying worm. We’ll see. 

I’m OK with the Eagle/Texas, just OK with it. But I wished it was like the floor of the Pit where the eagle is larger and goes outside the state border.   That emphasizes the Eagle.  As it is now, my brain sees Texas first, and that’s not good branding.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Dude, I like the way you think. I've always been a fan of SOW if it could just fit the helmet better. I'm also a fan of the alumni NT and like the new helmets, only in a different/better color combo that can be seen easier. We should claim the state silhouette since we are the University of North TEXAS.

But it’s hard to claim the Texas silhouette when countless high schools and colleges have already done it. Not unique or creative. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MGAnCap said:

This user just now posted about a new idea that just popped into the ol' noggin for the marketing department to take a look at:

This was the design the Texas Rangers had on their unis at one time. I like it.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, MGAnCap said:
  56 minutes ago, NT80 said:

You just made the point we need to stay with our best logo we ever had...

Simple, historic, iconic, and only ours!

image.png.76907269b46b1cae6ba658a615680693.png

Dallas Cowboys Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

Perhaps this user ought to expound upon said point-of-view:

The Dallas Cowboys have a universally-recognizable logo that is found in night skies across virtually every world in the universe, and a play style known for, much like the Mean Green, defense and  running the ball, from the likes of DuaneThomas, to TonyDorsett, to HerschelWalker, to EmmittSmith, to DemarcoMurray, to Zeke-and-Pollard of today!

'Humans' bleed red and the Tide have a no nonsense design that is indicative of their head coach's coaching style and demeanor. He runs out of rooms when a stripper is brought in, etc., etc..

Even the 'nUTSAk' team that took UT-Austin to the limit for half-a-game has a Roadrunner that looks like it'll paint a tunnel on a cliff and ignite TNT as soon as making eye contact, for cryin'-out-loud!

Now, what do the Mean Green have a history of and are known for? Defense and running the ball, and a badazz attitude that has, in recent years outside of the Fine-era, this user doesn't 'feel' has been evoked!

There are those on here who wish for 'Mean Joe Greene' himself to come back and have a large role in the program to help with that, as he was a part of a dynasty elsewhere and earned that nickname for a reason! Why? Because outside the 'Fearsome Foursome' of previous years, nary a team desired to have any part in the 'Steel Curtain' (same with the 'Orange Crush' and 'Doomsday Defense').

Successful conference contenders and champions (divisional and outright) such as Southern Piss and Super Bowl teams from recent memory, such as the Seattle Seahawks (and the 'Legion of Boom') and Filthadelphia Shegles have mascots that evoke fear in opponents, and the badazz attitude translate to high sales numbers from customers (also very important).

When an opponent looks at the OG 'Worm'....do they feel such fear and are fans inclined to see a badazz attitude evoked....or have they and will they mock the team for looking like they plastered the genitalia of the 'Jolly Green Giant' on their helmets? 

Does it make the program look international in-scope, like a 'star' or 'elephant' (some, like professional wrestling legend 'Booker T' say is the real 'king-of-the-jungle'), or regional and to be relegated to PBS on Saturday mornings, from a sock-puppet out of a JimHenson movie or Mr.Rogers episode?

The goal here is for the opposing team to take one look at the helmet and say in their heads, 'Aw, shoot! That's the Mean Green and they're gonna dominate!' Not 'Is that where the worm from 'BusyTown'? Where's his flying apple?'

Now, this user is an avid student of history and fan of things from bygone eras, was raised on 'handidowns' from siblings and born late to 'baby boomers', was shunned from their own generation and enjoys antiquing, without being homosexual nor married (contrary to what comedian BillEngvall says those who like antiquing are one or the other). In fact....in another open tab this user has on this very computer, this user is continuing to binge watch 'The Rockford Files', back when ideas were still fresh and television quality wasn't was putrid as it is today, despite more options, because less ideas were 'stolen' from. (That StephanJ.Cannell knew his stuff)

This user has tubs and tubs of VHS video tapes of roughly twenty years of recorded professional wrestling shows from various organizations and is of a sentimental mindset and is NOT a 'journeyman mercenary' who would play for 'bama if offered, and would, indeed, turn down millions if it meant doing away with, or going against, what this user deems 'sacred'. Am very principled.

So, believe this user when it's put forth that this user is not one of those people with a constant, 'out-with-the-old, in-with-the-new' mindset, unless it's an important business survival decision and even then, equivocation can come into play to try and 'satisfy' conflicting points-of-view. HOWEVER....with that said, this user believes it's time for the 'SOW' to join his father in retirement back at the nest, and make way for a 'Grandson-Of-Worm', as it were, to take flight and achieve greater heights!

Food-for-thought.

Thanks for reading.

Peace, Luv, and Anarchy! This user needs to walk off dinner.

Edited just now by MGAnCap

So you copied and pasted the exact post from that other thread to insert over here? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1

31 minutes ago, MGAnCap said:

Gotta respect the gumption and hustle. There's two competing threads over the topic of new uniforms and this user re-posted their opinion for increased visibility and it was actually rewritten because the first time didn't go through and this user had to redo it from the beginning from memory. How's that for passion?

Eagles can be dangerous birds-of-prey, synonymous with the land in which the team is located, and the design should reflect that.

Point-blank: Worms are found six-feet-deep and are bottom-feeders that are targeted BY birds. Who is to be emulated here? The worm or the bird? 

Do worms stand a chance against elephants and tigers and bulls, compared to eagles?

Recall the episode of 'The Simpsons' where 'Duncan' the racehorse adopts a 'new persona', and begins to win races.

Duncan | Simpsons Wiki | Fandom

What substance exactly are you using?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1