Jared and team working to help with better UNT merchandise

El Paso Eagle

On 1/22/2023 at 6:13 PM, KingDL1 said:

I would be happy if they got rid of the horrible Serif font and go with some form of a Sans Serif. The font being used is not only a horrid font it terribly dated. 

I hate the overall design. It's incredibly lazy and bland. Considering we have one of the most unique and recognizable nicknames, our branding is extremely boring. From my limited research it seems rare for athletics departments not to have their own branding that slightly or greatly differs from the University branding. Boring and bland works for universities, not for athletics. Just look at how UTSA's athletics branding differs from the University...

image.png.43b8a340b527d2a170d2744b03f8165e.png

UTSA Roadrunners | Road runner, San antonio, College logo

Unlike UNT where we lazily pasted our Eagle in front of the University letter mark, UTSA used some imagination and spruced up the font, centered the Roadrunner and made an ACTUAL LOGO. It blows our lazy excuse for a logo out of the water...

University Marks (Logos) | UNT Identity Guide

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Our colors have never been changed by student vote or Board of Regents approval. Here is THE OFFICIAL LINE that should have been followed by UNT Branding:image.thumb.jpeg.a42a85a2d0ecb2b63cdf7bf52590cdca.jpeg

Then a Director of Purchasing in charge of the North Texas branding site was able to put her own spin on our colors.

And this was by far not her most egregious offense. She left UNT Branding and went to our medical school when we partnering with TCU. 

In Fort Worth we now have: TCU takes the helm of medical school - TCU 360

and what was the former Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, which was to become the University of North Texas College of Medicine was instead branded simply as  image.png.6b1bf7c5ffc90e54ad2b4787460b7265.png

Yes, even though it was our medical school and our facilities, TCU ended up with a College of Medicine and we wound up with an hsc, whatever that is, but it sounds like a public clinic. Our medical school has been pushed well under the radar to help raise the profile of theirs.

I think you're getting upset over nothing. The link you always get mad about even states Green is our primary color and White and Black are secondary.  I disagree with classifying White as secondary, but I understand why they say that when it comes to styling university communications. Green should be the primary color for that.  The site is just saying Black is considered an official/accepted color when it comes to communications, not that its a primary color on the same level as Green. 

• Upvote 3

I didn't read through all this, so I'm just gonna say this:

The diving eagle/SOW sucks, and has always sucked. It isn't proportioned or designed well for a football helmet, and it looks incredibly generic. It's not CLIP ART EAGLE bad, but it's not much better. Our university spending money on this instead of awarding it to a junior high contest winner is just another example of UNT's piss-poor money management.

Obviously, this is all subjective. But, I do have a design degree from UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 8

24 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

The diving eagle/SOW sucks, and has always sucked. It isn't proportioned or designed well for a football helmet, and it looks incredibly generic. It's not CLIP ART EAGLE bad, but it's not much better. Our university spending money on this instead of awarding it to a junior high contest winner is just another example of UNT's piss-poor money management.

Perhaps the kid from jr. high just nailed it.  #Unmatched

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

33 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

I don’t hate the SOW as much as you seem to. I hope we keep it around.
But I will say it’s a flat logo devoid of any character. And you’re right about it being a bad helmet logo. That’s why I’ve always been a fan of bringing back the interlocking NT logo using our current font. At least it’d give us a secondary logo that would look good on a helmet. 

• Upvote 3

They should put out merchandise people will buy/wear. If it's green, white, black, purple... I don't particularly care. To me, getting the logo out there is more important to brand recognition than the color of the shirt the logo is on. That's just my two cents, but I think the logo does a whole lot more for the brand than the color.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

They should put out merchandise people will buy/wear. If it's green, white, black, purple... I don't particularly care. To me, getting the logo out there is more important to brand recognition than the color of the shirt the logo is on. That's just my two cents, but I think the logo does a whole lot more for the brand than the color.

The colors really tie it all together, dude.

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF by Working Title

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, meanrob said:

I don’t like ANY of logos listed in this thread, UNT or otherwise. That UCF university letter mark looks like a shoe gaze band logo. That black jacket is awful. 

I’m alone over here on keep it simple island.  

That's my whole point. The vast majority of university letter marks are painfully generic. That's why most universities, like UCF, allow their athletics department to have their own dynamic branding. 

• Upvote 2