Jared and team working to help with better UNT merchandise

El Paso Eagle

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I knew this old picture would again surface.  I think NT should just add the bomb and make those happy that believe NT copied this logo.   

It also should be noted this is a 2018 picture, so it is more likely the Australian Air Force copied NT than the other way around. 

Well, the other photo of the FA-18 is a 2013-14 photo, which means it was painted before that...and pre-dated our using the logo.

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

How about this: we are trying to compete with others in a video game of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, and the Flying Worm is akin to introducing Yoshi or Kirby as a character option.

it just doesn’t work

IMO, the WSU logo is fine. This has nothing to do with the vector-style design

PS: I completely get how, sometimes, something works very well because it’s not supposed to work/fit. Maybe if it was reintroduced it would end up a hit!

USF Bulls Logo - Sports Talk Florida - N

York College of Pennsylvania - Official Athletics Website

K-State (@KState) / Twitter

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Reasoning behind this comment?  

What kind of emotions does the logo evoke to you, Lifer? To answer your question, I think you have to look no further than our latest recruiting promotions.  There's a difference between this....

image.jpeg.3e644b5321f2f2bed7b2e140cf13270a.jpeg

and something like this...

MN_Father_Day_Coupon_Printable_Yoshi_Art

...because the latter is the kind of vibe I get from the Flying Worm.  Unique.  cute.  but a whole lot of, "seriously what is that thing and what is it doing here?"

Again, LOVE the Flying Worm.  Bring it back and see what happens, because who really knows?  But that is a perfect example of how weird and hippie our community was in the 1970s.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

44 minutes ago, NT80 said:

USF Bulls Logo - Sports Talk Florida - N

York College of Pennsylvania - Official Athletics Website

K-State (@KState) / Twitter

Wow, I thought this was much more straight forward, but apparently some of y'all don't feel the same way as I do and think the Flying Worm is no different than the above.  I honestly think there is a hugely different emotion evoked from our Flying Worm compared to any of these others you are throwing out there.

I think the SOW works well today, just like the ones you pictured above, but not the original Flying Worm.  It is so 1970s goofy, IMO.  Thank you @ADLER! At least I'm not completely alone lol.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, greenminer said:

What kind of emotions does the logo evoke to you, Lifer? To answer your question, I think you have to look no further than our latest recruiting promotions.  There's a difference between this....

...because the latter is the kind of vibe I get from the Flying Worm.  Unique.  cute.  but a whole lot of, "seriously what is that thing and what is it doing here?"

Again, LOVE the Flying Worm.  Bring it back and see what happens, because who really knows?  But that is a perfect example of how weird and hippie our community was in the 1970s.

I prefer the more modern logos but i don’t think of weird and hippie when I think of Hayden Fry (or Rick Spears) and he used that logo. I think you’re projecting a bit. 

I don’t like the constant combinations (I prefer green and white) and actively hate the gray but I’m more concerned if we can get third down stops. 

I will say I bought two long sleeve shirts through the official store a few years ago and wasn’t happy with the product. Be curious if other people have better experiences. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

It looks great in pictures but horrible on the field (in person and on TV). It completely gets washed out.

I am reserving judgment on how that helmet and logo will look on a professional TV broadcast. CUSA was using Flintstones cameras.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

I love the Flying Worm but I am content with it being the logo we always use on throwback games and merchandise.

The main logo should be the Diving Eagle and the main color UNT green. UNT should commit to these for years because changing the logo and color all the time makes it look like we've got no identity.

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

54 minutes ago, rcade said:

I am reserving judgment on how that helmet and logo will look on a professional TV broadcast. CUSA was using Flintstones cameras.

In agreement that it does not look as good as it could have. IMO it would look a lot better on a white helmet. However it was much better that whatever idiot as Boise decided to put their names on a black jersey in a different shade of black.

FB: Mean Green Comeback Falls Short in Frisco Bowl - Conference USA

image.png.bb0feddc7aba55f294551af4b06b4e3d.png

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

First picture: Bald Eagle with rabies

Second:  Little kids game character that has nothing to do with us, any or our logos and is an extreme stretch comparison to Mr. Spears Eagle. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

First picture: Bald Eagle with rabies

Second:  Little kids game character that has nothing to do with us, any or our logos and is an extreme stretch comparison to Mr. Spears Eagle. 

Extremes can be used to make a point very obvious.

If you don't see the point I was trying to make, maybe someone else can be more helpful.

I have failed you, Anakin.

Fail Ewan Mcgregor GIF

Edited by greenminer
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I see your point/opinion, I respect it as your’s but, in the end, I disagree with it. 

Sure. Obviously, a ton of subejctivity here.

Different things at play here.  Some of the factors I'm chewing on:

Do you think can be brought back? I am in support of that.
Do you think it blends right in with other logos? I don't think so.  at all.  And it's not just because of its age.  Other logs as or older than it are perfectly fine in todays branding environment.

...in the end, I say if it sells and gets our base fired up, do it! I do think if people who did not live through the Fry era will struggle to think it's "cool", and would be buying it because they want to celebrate being weird.

If you want to appeal to that, great! But expect a ton of overlap with the same people who approved this gem:

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Does the UNT athletic department even has a director of brand management? Someone to ensure our logos and colors are consistent, of quality, and produced in an acceptable way in merchandise and media. I remember for years our diving eagle was depicted backwards on the flag they ran across the field after TD's. It was very embarrassing.

• Upvote 2

I’m in the camp of, I love the worm, but only once a year…which seems to be how it’s been used.  
I don’t mind it being on apparel.  I’ve actually bought a couple of flying worm shirts lately.  

That being said, the diving eagle needs to be our main logo and it should never change.  Never.  As long as there is an UNT, our main logo should be the Kelly green diving eagle.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Sure. Obviously, a ton of subejctivity here.

Different things at play here.  Some of the factors I'm chewing on:

Do you think can be brought back? I am in support of that.
Do you think it blends right in with other logos? I don't think so.  at all.  And it's not just because of its age.  Other logs as or older than it are perfectly fine in todays branding environment.

...in the end, I say if it sells and gets our base fired up, do it! I do think if people who did not live through the Fry era will struggle to think it's "cool", and would be buying it because they want to celebrate being weird.

If you want to appeal to that, great! But expect a ton of overlap with the same people who approved this gem:

That daycare commercial is so horrendous, I'm seriously considering stopping my donations to the university's fund and instead sending that money to the athletic department with my regular donation. Part of me wants to downvote you just for posting that garbage. But I won't, because I know you hate it too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

maybe so! I would say ours are more fitting because they match the wings of our logo. Also the recruits/players love them. 

These are the best helmets in UNT history! - Mean Green Football -  GoMeanGreen.com

THese are my favorite helmets. I hope we have some more variations of this helmet next year. I would love to see green helmet, white texas and white face mask. The eagle by itself on the helmet does not fit right. you either need wings or texas behind eagle moving forward. 

The problem is that on t.v. you can't tell what this is. R.V. wanted "NORTH TEXAS" on helmets when were were on t.v. in order to better advertise the university.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

I’m in the camp of, I love the worm, but only once a year…which seems to be how it’s been used.  
I don’t mind it being on apparel.  I’ve actually bought a couple of flying worm shirts lately.  

That being said, the diving eagle needs to be our main logo and it should never change.  Never.  As long as there is an UNT, our main logo should be the Kelly green diving eagle.

Diving eagle = SOW?

• Upvote 1