Jared and team working to help with better UNT merchandise

El Paso Eagle

Our branding history is horrible.  @ADLER has made his point abundantly clear about black unis. No consistent shade of green.   How many different logos have we had? Eagle mascots that have evolved?

And now, in a society that wants control over everything, we have so many people that want to pick and choose exactly what they think is good, and discard the rest.  Agreements among those people, however, are few and far between.  Then, when they do not get what they want, the AD gets the ire.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I like our logos, especially the throwbacks. I understand the need/want for consistency, though. 

I think the UNT admin agrees. Unfortunately, I think they’re addressing it in the wrong way. Instead of allowing Athletics to develop their own lasting brand, the university is forcing them to use the existing University branding. The flaw in this thinking is what works for a University in terms of branding/logos doesn’t work for athletics teams. Sports logos need to be exciting and colorful so they catch your eye and make you want to buy merch. While University branding is only interested in being simple and to the point. 
Take a look at other universities and their athletic departments. The universities have their simple abbreviation scripts and crests, while the athletic departments elevate them into actual logos with character. Here’s UNC as an example:

University:

image.png.20b467b159be40b6b70b345831595565.png

Athletics:

image.jpeg.1cc9c3744c6d2308c42c4de33e246307.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think the UNT admin agrees. Unfortunately, I think they’re addressing it in the wrong way. Instead of allowing Athletics to develop their own lasting brand, the university is forcing them to use the existing University branding. The flaw in this thinking is what works for a University in terms of branding/logos doesn’t work for athletics teams. Sports logos need to be exciting and colorful so they catch your eye and make you want to buy merch. While University branding is only interested in being simple and to the point. 
Take a look at other universities and their athletic departments. The universities have their simple abbreviation scripts and crests, while the athletic departments elevate them into actual logos with character. Here’s UNC as an example

FA0C9EE7-4AC6-405A-9011-9DAB3ACAE111.png

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Take a look at other universities and their athletic departments. The universities have their simple abbreviation scripts and crests, while the athletic departments elevate them into actual logos with character. Here’s UNC as an example:

University:

image.png.20b467b159be40b6b70b345831595565.png

Athletics:

image.jpeg.1cc9c3744c6d2308c42c4de33e246307.jpeg

If you are saying what I think, no way.  Brands, logos, etc. should never be changed based on the whims of one generation of athletes.  

Every new athletic regime seems to want to change and often does the NT branding. The results are a lot of options, but no consistency.  

I dislike calling the University of North Texas, UNT; but it has now been established, so stick with it.   The battle flag is first rate and although much copied; NT seems to own the design.    

You can't change history or really want to, but it is NT's misfortune to have the most common name in all US sports and probably the most common mark in the world. 

There are Eagles everywhere and that makes it more difficult to differentiate from other entities including the USA. 

• Downvote 3

When the SOW design came out, I thought, "at last"! A classic. Iconic design that rivals UT's Longhorn and smuts peruna as a simple, yet recognizable logo that, to my knowledge, has not been reproduced. Now we've gone to the Oregon Ducks look which is not unique, but confuses us as Oregon. I say, stay with the SOW on the helmet or go away from it altogether and have a plane (Mean Green) helmet. Numbers on it maybe, Ala Bama, or just plain like Penn St. or Norte Dame. Truly get away from Eagles and just be know as Mean Green. Or the battle flag on the helmets would be fine with me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

7 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

When the SOW design came out, I thought, "at last"! A classic. Iconic design that rivals UT's Longhorn and smuts peruna as a simple, yet recognizable logo that, to my knowledge, has not been reproduced. Now we've gone to the Oregon Ducks look which is not unique, but confuses us as Oregon. I say, stay with the SOW on the helmet or go away from it altogether and have a plane (Mean Green) helmet. Numbers on it maybe, Ala Bama, or just plain like Penn St. or Norte Dame. Truly get away from Eagles and just be know as Mean Green. Or the battle flag on the helmets would be fine with me.

Flying worm is our own, SOW is not ours.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4