North Texas Official Visitors for 1/20/23

TheReal_jayD

• Harry featured this topic
53 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

I'll say I'm disappointed in the visitors offer list.    

Evan Jackson is even more confusing.  He has like 2 defense highlights and they're ok tackles. Mostly him returning punts and playing QB.

He had 62 tackles, 7 pass break ups and returned 3 punts for TDs. The athleticism is there. The highlight tape needs some work.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I remember we recruited a player one time for wr and all his highlights were of him playing qb. His name was Jaelan Darden. He worked out alright. 

Love it. As you know, that’s the story of many hs qb’s. They are put at qb because they are the best athlete on the team. 

if I remember correctly, UT missed out on Robert Griffen and Johnny football because Mac would only recruit them as db’s because he didn’t think they could play qb. I only use them as examples because UT was recruiting these guys strictly based on their athletic talents. Not because either had tape of them playing db. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I remember we recruited a player one time for wr and all his highlights were of him playing qb. His name was Jaelan Darden. He worked out alright. 

Darden had muliple fbs offers and a few p5 if I remember correctly.  I thought with limited spots available we wouldn't gamble as much to get Dimond in the roughs. Utsa isn't doing this as my only comparison. Not saying he can't or won't be good. Not sure I get the strategy with 10 spots left

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Alright I just watched Brian Nelson's highlight video. He had 7 interceptions on the year. I was impressed with his coverage skills and how he would jump routes for INTs. Now at the FBS level, if you jump a route like that you sometimes can get burned. However, 7 interceptions is very impressive. There were a few plays where he fought off WR blocks and made tackles. That is a skill he definitely will need at this level. So many offenses will line up 2 WRs and have just one guy blocking while the other runs free. It's good to see that he is not afraid of contact. He didn't have a ton of tackles on the year, but that could be due to QBs not throwing his way (7 INTs). We do have a lot of competition for him, as he has 27 offers right now. Hopefully he wants to stay in Texas, and has a great visit. As JD said, this could be a talented duo in the American.

Stats:

14 Tackles 7 INT 4 Passed Defended (I assume this is similar to pass break ups)

Offers:

Akron, Coastal Carolina, Miami (OH), New Mexico, New Mexico St, North Texas, Old Dominion, Texas St, ACU, Air Force, Navy and 16 FCS offers (Yes 16, I am not going to list them all).

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Brian-Nelson-155044/RecruitInterests/

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Darden had muliple fbs offers and a few p5 if I remember correctly.  I thought with limited spots available we wouldn't gamble as much to get Dimond in the roughs. Utsa isn't doing this as my only comparison. Not saying he can't or won't be good. Not sure I get the strategy with 10 spots left

Darden did. But all offers had dried up when we came in late. Believe he was committed to grambling when we offered two days before NSD. 

I don’t put as much stock into offer list these days as years past. Between transfer portal and covid years hs kids are getting overlooked on record pace. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Thought we had a young kicker on the roster.

Want those two DB's.

We do have a young kicker on the roster.  His name is Chris Clayton from Fort Myers FL.  He was signed by last year's Special Teams Coordinator Chris Petrilli.  I believe that he graduated from some kicking school last year and was recommended by the owner of the kicking school.

• Upvote 3

On 1/21/2023 at 6:19 AM, p_phelps said:

You remember incorrectly. We offered Darden at the last minute after one of our other commits flipped to Houston. He was a diamond in the rough in his own rite.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 1/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, jtm0097 said:

He had 62 tackles, 7 pass break ups and returned 3 punts for TDs. The athleticism is there. The highlight tape needs some work.

They must be banking on his athleticism because those stats aren't very impressive, except for the punt returns.  I'm assuming those numbers are for the 16 games they played. 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

They must be banking on his athleticism because those stats aren't very impressive, except for the punt returns.  I'm assuming those numbers are for the 16 games they played. 

He was 1st team all-district safety and started on one of the best high school teams in the country. Even if it was over 16 games, that's 4 tackles a game. If your safety is the leading tackler, your defense is not very good. That means your guys deep are constantly making tackles and not the front seven. Our secondary needs help. Let's refrain from bashing the kid.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

He was 1st team all-district safety and started on one of the best high school teams in the country. Even if it was over 16 games, that's 4 tackles a game. If your safety is the leading tackler, your defense is not very good. That means your guys deep are constantly making tackles and not the front seven. Our secondary needs help. Let's refrain from bashing the kid.

How is that bashing him? Tackles can be misleading one way or another, I was talking about the pbu's. 7 over 16 is low.  That district is really tough, so he's playing good talent, and like you said he's on a really good team.  We'll see.  Nelson had better tape.

• Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

How is that bashing him? Tackles can be misleading one way or another, I was talking about the pbu's. 7 over 16 is low.  That district is really tough, so he's playing good talent, and like you said he's on a really good team.  We'll see.  Nelson had better tape.

You said his stats are not impressive. I'm not sure how to perceive that as a positive comment. Yeah, his tape seemed to be geared more to his return game and random plays on offense. We are behind in recruiting due to the timing of the Morris hire. The staff is trying to addresses the secondary which struggled last year. Even if Jackson is returning kicks and a rotational DB, his experience should help our defense. Nelson has great tape. I hope he can't continue getting INTs on our defense.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

You said his stats are not impressive. I'm not sure how to perceive that as a positive comment. Yeah, his tape seemed to be geared more to his return game and random plays on offense. We are behind in recruiting due to the timing of the Morris hire. The staff is trying to addresses the secondary which struggled last year. Even if Jackson is returning kicks and a rotational DB, his experience should help our defense. Nelson has great tape. He didn't have a ton of tackles but he had 7 INTs.

It's not positive, but it's not bashing him either. 

I like Nelson, he looks really solid.  As far as tackles for a corner, I'd prefer they tackled well, but if they can lock someone down then they could hit like Deion or Diggs.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

It's not positive, but it's not bashing him either. 

I like Nelson, he looks really solid.  As far as tackles for a corner, I'd prefer they tackled well, but if they can lock someone down then they could hit like Deion or Diggs.

Fair enough. I'm just glad they are addressing the defense.