You just been given the job as the Head Promoter

Big Z

5 hours ago, trud1966 said:

I say let fans on the field,  bring back After Game Fireworks shows, like they used to do at Fouts, years ago...

And please, DONT start up with "it doesnt make sense when we lose to have a Fireworks show, it's like we're celebrating a loss..."   Frisco Roughriders always used to have a fireworks show after Friday home games, I think?  Maybe still do? 

Not a lot of people care if the rough riders win or lose.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Big Z said:

You have one year to put more butts in the seats for the UNT Football games, what are your thoughts and ideas to get the numbers up? 

This should have been done decades ago, but I would have built several more dorms on campus and named them after , well you know who.

• Upvote 1

I don't spend the money and put it back into recruiting.   I have seen a lot of things tried at NT to increase attention and the only thing that works long term is winning more games.  

Giving away or heavily discounting tickets only increases attendance for those games and cheapens your product.

NT had some very good musical acts like a great lineup of country singers once, they performed at halftime and half the crowd than left.  

I think trying to make Apogee ( or whatever it is now) more user friendly with better seating, conveniences, food etc. will have  only minimum results and I doubt would pay for the investment involved. 

I think Fouts had to go, but getting a bright new stadium didn't significantly move up the attendance. 

A charismatic coach like a Fry did make a big difference and hopefully NT has a lot more of that out of Morris than Littrell and Dickey.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't spend the money and put it back into recruiting.   I have seen a lot of things tried at NT to increase attention and the only thing that works long term is winning more games.  

Giving away or heavily discounting tickets only increases attendance for those games and cheapens your product.

NT had some very good musical acts like a great lineup of country singers once, they performed at halftime and half the crowd than left.  

I think trying to make Apogee ( or whatever it is now) more user friendly with better seating, conveniences, food etc. will have  only minimum results and I doubt would pay for the investment involved. 

I think Fouts had to go, but getting a bright new stadium didn't significantly move up the attendance. 

A charismatic coach like a Fry did make a big difference and hopefully NT has a lot more of that out of Morris than Littrell and Dickey.  

We’ve won over a long term? 

Up our game day experience to a level no one else has done......

1. Pregame Show- From tailgate hill, the Pregame Show is 1 hour long and starts about 2.5 hours before kickoff (Features, guests, cheerleaders, drumline, & game picks). Fans are encouraged to be there and be loud. The recorded Pregame Show is played on the video board 1 hour before kickoff leading up to the team's entrance onto the field. 

2. Halftime Show- From the press box with the bands preforming on the field behind the hosts, the Halftime Show would focus on recapping the events of the first half, pointing out issues to be addressed in the second half, player stats, and recapping other conference game or importance. The halftime show should stream live on ESPN+ and play live on the tv's that are located throughout the concourses of the stadium formerly known as Apogee. 

3. Scrappy's Fantasy Challenge- Available only to those in attendance, fans select 3 players from UNT's offense and 2 players from the UNT defense to earn points for them during the game (example: 2 points for every 10 yards a player gains, 6 points for every touchdown a player scores, 2 points for every tackle a player makes, & 6 points for every sack a player makes). A running leaderboard will be featured on a section of the small video board and periodically displayed on the main video board. A rundown of the top contestant's performance will be discussed during the Halftime Show, and the winner announced at the end of the game. Each week's winner will receive a team autographed ball and challenge trophy.

I have other ideas too, but no need to bore you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Somebody mentioned the Frisco RoughRiders not having a problem getting butts in seats, win or lose, but look at their ticket prices. For the first round of last year's playoffs, the RoughRiders were selling tickets for $5 a pop. Even if people are only going for one game, it's better than those seats being empty. If you have to drop season ticket prices "to be fair," do it. Those fans will appreciate the loyalty and you may get more season ticket holders at the reduced rate.

I was surprised a few months ago that I could get tickets to a Mavs Friday night game against Toronto for less than tickets to the FIU game the next day. Yes, the Mavs tickets were in the nose bleeds but still surprising considering one is to see an NBA superstar and the other was to see a .500 college football team. The value isn't there for casual fans or just people looking for something to do on a Saturday. On the flip side, I know many who don't care about baseball who will go to RoughRider games with their kids just for the budget-friendly outing. UNT should do the same to at least get people to the games. Win a few thrillers and some of those fans will look to return. You can do all the giveaways, concerts, and half-priced beer days you want. None of it matters if nobody comes to the games to see it/take advantage of it.

That said, to answer the question, I would do free UNT shirts or hats to the first 10,000 fans, green rally towels (sweat rags) on every seat for every game, and straight up lower the price of tickets. I'd do a drawing every game where a ticket number is pulled at random to win some kind of UNT gear, be it jersey, helmet, or other. For the hard-core fans, I'd set up an in-stadium auction of some autographed UNT gear where the player(s) earn a cut of the auction earnings for the gear they signed. Maybe make the auction idea for upperclassmen only to reward them for sticking with the program. Lastly, let's get some good free Wi-Fi for the non-football fans accompanying their spouse and an increased number of quality water fountains so people don't have to pay to keep their kids alive in 100 degree weather. I realize some of that isn't tied to promotions but still.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Somebody mentioned the Frisco RoughRiders not having a problem getting butts in seats, win or lose, but look at their ticket prices. For the first round of last year's playoffs, the RoughRiders were selling tickets for $5 a pop. Even if people are only going for one game, it's better than those seats being empty. If you have to drop season ticket prices "to be fair," do it. Those fans will appreciate the loyalty and you may get more season ticket holders at the reduced rate.

I was surprised a few months ago that I could get tickets to a Mavs Friday night game against Toronto for less than tickets to the FIU game the next day. Yes, the Mavs tickets were in the nose bleeds but still surprising considering one is to see an NBA superstar and the other was to see a .500 college football team. The value isn't there for casual fans or just people looking for something to do on a Saturday. On the flip side, I know many who don't care about baseball who will go to RoughRider games with their kids just for the budget-friendly outing. UNT should do the same to at least get people to the games. Win a few thrillers and some of those fans will look to return. You can do all the giveaways, concerts, and half-priced beer days you want. None of it matters if nobody comes to the games to see it/take advantage of it.

That said, to answer the question, I would do free UNT shirts or hats to the first 10,000 fans, green rally towels (sweat rags) on every seat for every game, and straight up lower the price of tickets. I'd do a drawing every game where a ticket number is pulled at random to win some kind of UNT gear, be it jersey, helmet, or other. For the hard-core fans, I'd set up an in-stadium auction of some autographed UNT gear where the player(s) earn a cut of the auction earnings for the gear they signed. Maybe make the auction idea for upperclassmen only to reward them for sticking with the program. Lastly, let's get some good free Wi-Fi for the non-football fans accompanying their spouse and an increased number of quality water fountains so people don't have to pay to keep their kids alive in 100 degree weather. I realize some of that isn't tied to promotions but still.

A few years back , several people were carried out the stadium from heat exhaustion/heat stroke. Really need a water supply.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

End zone seats are ten dollars, ffs. If our alumni or Denton residents can’t afford that then we have a bigger problem. The issue is they don’t see the value because we don’t win consistently. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

For this specifically, the school needs to have people going to every student org, fraternity, sorority meetings and hyping up any and all games for our teams. Tell them about the upcoming events. Show them how to get the tickets. Create incentives for folks to COME IN the games. The people in the orgs are often the ones most active on campus and least likely to have the “commuter” tag on them. Easier to get those people out to things. 

I think there is a need for members of the Athletics Department to make an effort to regularly meet with the leaders/social chairmen of campus organizations to discuss the scheduled athletics events during the upcoming semesters to help coordinate activities to ensure that they do not have conflicting activities.

Fraternities, sororities, and other clubs/organizations have no knowledge of events unless leaders share that information with them. Sometimes they need to be consistently reminded. It the standard "but I sent them that information" is not getting the desired results, then as kindly as possible terminate that person's employment and hire somebody that has a real interest in producing results.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

End zone seats are ten dollars, ffs. If our alumni or Denton residents can’t afford that then we have a bigger problem. The issue is they don’t see the value because we don’t win consistently. 

Not when I looked. I go through the UNT website every time I go to a game. They were listed at $20/ticket for end zone seats. Maybe because it was homecoming, I don't know.

Regardless, the whole post went way over your head. My family prefers basketball and we go to multiple UNT basketball games per year and have made it to the CUSA tournament as well. We live over an hour away with no traffic so it's a day trip each time. Back to football, I asked my family if they preferred to go to the FIU football game or the Mavs game the night before considering the price was the same. They chose to see the NBA phenom. You're not going to win over the casual fan or random family who doesn't care about UNT football by charging the same as an NBA team to watch a world-wide superstar. The pricing isn't competitive when looking at other options in the area. If I just want to take my non-UNT affiliated family to a random sporting event, I can spend $20/ticket for a UNT football game or $5/ticket for a Frisco RoughRiders game. The choice is easy.

You can "ffs" all you want but these are the facts. There's too much to do in DFW. You have to be competitive or the families won't come.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Not when I looked. I go through the UNT website every time I go to a game. They were listed at $20/ticket for end zone seats. Maybe because it was homecoming, I don't know.

Regardless, the whole post went way over your head. My family prefers basketball and we go to multiple UNT basketball games per year and have made it to the CUSA tournament as well. We live over an hour away with no traffic so it's a day trip each time. Back to football, I asked my family if they preferred to go to the FIU football game or the Mavs game the night before considering the price was the same. They chose to see the NBA phenom. You're not going to win over the casual fan or random family who doesn't care about UNT football by charging the same as an NBA team to watch a world-wide superstar. The pricing isn't competitive when looking at other options in the area. If I just want to take my non-UNT affiliated family to a random sporting event, I can spend $20/ticket for a UNT football game or $5/ticket for a Frisco RoughRiders game. The choice is easy.

You can "ffs" all you want but these are the facts. There's too much to do in DFW. You have to be competitive or the families won't come.

We all complain that alumni don’t care about the university, and yet our “most committed” complain about meager ticket prices. The athletic department relies on revenue from football to run the program. How much do you expect them to sacrifice for the sake of making it cheap enough for people who don’t care to attend? 
It comes down to consistent winning, not making the tickets cheaper. They can barely make them any less expensive. Our $20 tickets are prime and not nosebleed seats. End zone is less. Season tickets are dirt cheap. I won’t even mention what other schools’ alumni pay to attend.
You can’t compare us to minor league baseball since they have guaranteed revenue from the big club and their record is irrelevant, so they can afford to practically give away seats. 
For perspective, I recently paid more for one seat at the Army-Navy game than I do for both my NT season tickets, which are second row seats. (Btw I don’t ever attend because I haven’t lived in Texas since 2009 but I want to support the program.) If we win around 9-10 games a year, no one would complain about ticket prices and the stadium would be 75 percent or more full constantly. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We all complain that alumni don’t care about the university, and yet our “most committed” complain about meager ticket prices. The athletic department relies on revenue from football to run the program. How much do you expect them to sacrifice for the sake of making it cheap enough for people who don’t care to attend? 
It comes down to consistent winning, not making the tickets cheaper. They can barely make them any less expensive. Our $20 tickets are prime and not nosebleed seats. End zone is less. Season tickets are dirt cheap. I won’t even mention what other schools’ alumni pay to attend.
You can’t compare us to minor league baseball since they have guaranteed revenue from the big club and their record is irrelevant, so they can afford to practically give away seats. 
For perspective, I recently paid more for one seat at the Army-Navy game than I do for both my NT season tickets, which are second row seats. (Btw I don’t ever attend because I haven’t lived in Texas since 2009 but I want to support the program.) If we win around 9-10 games a year, no one would complain about ticket prices and the stadium would be 75 percent or more full constantly. 

I'm not complaining about ticket prices, I'm saying you have to be competitive for the occasional attendees looking for something to do on a Saturday. Sure, once the program is more successful, more people will probably show up but that does nothing to fill seats today. The basketball program's holiday promotion may have cheapened prices but I got 6 people who never attended UNT to drive 45 minutes to an hour plus to go see the FIU game. They would have never gone if not for the promotion. Not for lack or income but because when the tickets are that inexpensive, it's hard to say no to a low-cost family outing for the kids to enjoy. If every regular got 6 extras to attend, the place would have sold out.

I don't know if you have kids or not but I'm coming from the perspective of a father with young kids. I'm not going to blow money on tickets I won't use "to support the program." I'll support the program by buying tickets and actually going. My comment about the Mavs game was simply to give an idea of what people in the area are spending for a pro sporting event. You want butts in seats? Be more competitive. Otherwise, stop crying. Most of your most hard-core local fans are already showing up. It's the casuals and random you need to get. There's SMU and TCU to compete with in the immediate area. Being competitive has to be intentional. Not "when we win, they'll come."

Every season, SMU gives free tickets to city of Dallas employees. This past season, they gave 4 free tickets per employee to the home opener against Lamar and 4 free to another game (I can't recall which one). Does it work? I don't know. Maybe it gets a few more in the stadium every now and then but at least they try. Dallas has about 14,000 city employees. If every single employee redeemed their offers, the stadium would exceed capacity. Clearly most employees don't redeem the offer but at least their program is trying. They're not focusing on their alumni's income and proximity; they're trying to get the randoms in the stadium. This issue is hard to tackle. You can't just depend on winning more.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

To start:  Fire the parking coordinator, fire the parking contractor, fire the last promotions director, hire a tech consultant and electrician to fix Apogee wi-fi, video board, and sound issues since it was built.

Simple fixes are required as AAC crowds increase.

Firing the parking coordinator sounds harsh... but... he/she is endangering people's lives because of his/her inattention to the job. Having only the one lane entering the Fouts parking lot from North Texas Blvd causes the line to back up, eventually bringing the northbound right lane of I-35 to a stop. This is eventually going to get somebody hurt, or worse, and "I don't know, and I wasn't getting paid enough to care" won't be viable excuses in court. Jared will be liable.

On Walt Parker by the tennis courts, have two entering lanes scanning parking passes, and IMMEDIATELY force any driver that's not permitted to park in that lot to turn into the tennis/track lot where somebody in a position of authority can tell them precisely how to either pay or get the hell out of the way. The current procedure is to let them block the whole line while they're discussing genealogy and holiday recipes.

• Upvote 3

On 1/20/2023 at 9:28 AM, jtm0097 said:

Have a DJ play mumble rap on the student side to attract more gen Z/college kids.

I don't think that would have the effect you desire. 

Primarily I just think the advertising needs to be consistent.   

Gameday:

• Kickoff times not dictated by our TV obligations should be 6:00 pm or 7:00 pm.    Those suggested kickoff time are NOT my preference but it traditionally those are most frequent kickoff times. 
  • The Alumni Pavilion needs to be doubled in size.  On the higher attended game days the Alumni Pavilion is woefully overcrowded to be point of being uncomfortable.  The current Alumni Pavilion would have been inadequate to host a watch party when they were undefeated going on the road to play Arkansas.
  • Post Game fireworks for wins
  • Post Win band performance after the playing "Glory to the Green" with the team.  If they could pull off a formation in the shape of the tower simulating lighting the tower green playing the fight song that would be great.  
  • Rotating local popular food trucks inside and outside the stadium
  • A Climate controlled "cover charge for entry" for regular fans.  Either you can purchase that as an add on to regular ticket.  There have been several bad weather games I left early only because I could not find a comfortable place to dry off, maybe change socks and return to the elements to cheer on my team)
  • First Home game of the year; open Super Pit for pregame Pep Rally - 90 minutes before kickoff band marches from the floor of the Super Pit, down N. Texas Blvd across bridge, around the circular hilltop sidewalk, a limited march through the Blue Parking
  • Either invest in the Red Lot and make all weather, widen Bonnie Brae to Willowwood St.  Or make Black Lot 2.5 x the size it is now.  (I will have another thread on Corin Street, Bonnie Brae, Willowwood and the surrounding neighborhood) 

Advertisement/Promotions

• Pay local sports bars to have some Mean Green decorations/jersey and etc. 
  • For every academically focus billboard they need one for football
  • Coordinating with local sport stations remote site events for limited drastically discounted tickets & contest give aways 
  • Moving 1 coaches show per month to a Rudy's in the DFW region that is not in Denton at least for the entire fall semester.
Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don't think that would have the effect you desire. 

Primarily I just think the advertising needs to be consistent.   

Gameday:

• Kickoff times not dictated by our TV obligations should be 6:00 pm or 7:00 pm.    Those suggested kickoff time are NOT my preference but it traditionally those are most frequent kickoff times. 
  • The Alumni Pavilion needs to be doubled in size.  On the higher attended game days the Alumni Pavilion is woefully overcrowded to be point of being uncomfortable.  The current Alumni Pavilion would have been inadequate to host a watch party when they were undefeated going on the road to play Arkansas.
  • Post Game fireworks for wins
  • Post Win band performance after the playing "Glory to the Green" with the team.  If they could pull off a formation in the shape of the tower simulating lighting the tower green playing the fight song that would be great.  
  • Rotating local popular food trucks inside and outside the stadium
  • A Climate controlled "cover charge for entry" for regular fans.  Either you can purchase that as an add on to regular ticket.  There have been several bad weather games I left early only because I could find a comfortable place to dry off, maybe change socks and return to the elements to cheer on my team)
  • First Home game of the year; open Super Pit for pregame Pep Rally - 90 minutes before kickoff band marches from the floor of the Super Pit, down N. Texas Blvd across bridge, around the circular hilltop sidewalk, a limited march through the Blue Parking
  • Either invest in the Red Lot and make all weather, widen Bonnie Brae to Willowwood St.  Or make Black Lot 2.5 x the size it is now.  (I will have another thread on Corin Street, Bonnie Brae, Willowwood and the surrounding neighborhood) 

Advertisement/Promotions

• Pay local sports bars to have some Mean Green decorations/jersey and etc. 
  • For every academically focus billboard they need one for football
  • Coordinating with local sport stations remote site events for limited drastically discounted tickets & contest give aways 
  • Moving 1 coaches show per month to a Rudy's in the DFW region that is not in Denton at least for the entire fall semester.

Not everything we desire is going to be doable but the AD should have ten lists like this to cull through and see what is doable. I think about this stuff a lot and even I hadn’t thought about a few things people have mentioned. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/21/2023 at 2:01 AM, 97and03 said:

We all complain that alumni don’t care about , and yet our “most committed” complain about meager ticket prices. The department relies on from football to run the program. How much do you expect them to sacrifice for the sake of making it cheap enough for people who don’t care to attend? 
You can’t compare us to minor league baseball since they have guaranteed from the big club and their record is irrelevant, so they can afford to practically give away seats. 
For , I recently paid more for one seat at the Army-Navy game than I do for both my NT season tickets, which are second row seats. (Btw I don’t ever attend because I haven’t lived in Texas since 2009 but I want to support the program.) If we win around 9-10 games a year, no one would complain about ticket prices and the stadium would be 75 or more full constantly. 

Revenue from the football program can't even pay for the head coach's salary, much less anything else. 

Winning consistently will solve everything.  Increased promotions may bring people to a game once or twice but is not sustainable. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 3.49.41 PM.png

38 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Not everything we desire is going to be doable but the AD should have ten lists like this to cull through and see what is doable. I think about this stuff a lot and even I hadn’t thought about a few things people have mentioned. 

Whatever they do, please keep working on improving ever game

If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Draymond Green

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Revenue from the football program can't even pay for the head coach's salary, much less anything else. 

Winning consistently will solve everything.  Increased promotions may bring people to a game once or twice but is not sustainable. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 3.49.41 PM.png

I believe this is just the increase from year to year. It's actually hard to get real numbers and expenses as charges are spread around.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-north-texas/student-life/sports/#:~:text=In terms of financials%2C the UNT football program paid out,made %2410%2C748%2C868 in total revenue.

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe this is just from year to year. It's actually hard to get real numbers and expenses as charges are spread around.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-north-texas/student-life/sports/#:~:text=In terms of financials%2C the UNT football program paid out,made %2410%2C748%2C868 in total .

That 40M figure represents total revenue, not earned revenue.  Our earned revenue (ticket sales) has hovered around 1M for a number of years.  The overwhelming bulk of the balance comes from student fees and university support.  I'll admit that the numbers are murky at best.

• Upvote 2

1. Mail campaign to send a voucher for 4 free tickets to one 2023 game to all residences in Denton County
  2. Find another time to recognize all the sponsors no one cares about and upgrade the in-game entertainment
         2A. Hold competitive audition for the on-field emcee to make sure you're finding one who knows what they're doing/not reading off a card the whole time
  3. Simplify the student ticket process. Bring back the ticket trailer and hand out tickets on the Library Mall/Union again.
         3A. Be proactive and have the trailer at Apogee handing out tickets to the next home game.
  4. Hand out something at the end of the game that students want and would stay for, like a free drink voucher from somewhere on Fry. Not those disgusting blue Takis.
  5. Coordinate with Greek organizations to provide some sort of intra-Greek reward for those that stay the entire game
  6. Do flash sales around gameday to get people to think about/buy tickets to the next games.
  7. Utilize the field before and after the game to sell group experience packages.
  8. Have more ticket reps on the concourse setting future graduates up with their free young alumni season tickets.
  9. Build a moving walkway from Greek Row to Apogee since all of a sudden it is too much effort for this new generation to walk across the highway. Run busses that stop by the major dorms, apartment complexes, Union, Greek Row, etc. and take students to the game.
  • Upvote 1