We continued a North Texas tradition

emmitt01

28 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Glad the students showed up. But they were kind of quiet, I remember that whole section would be standing up and rowdy as can be. 

They were loud early, then the team gave them nothing to be loud about. Kind of hard to get into the game with as many and as long of scoring droughts as we had

• Upvote 3

On 1/19/2023 at 9:57 PM, emmitt01 said:

There was a decent overall crowd on hand tonight, and a really nice student section, so of course we shat the bed.

Games 5 (FAU) and 8 (Rice).  We are still ahead of last year's average through 8 games by an average of 362 per game. We had a decent stretch last year through the next 6 home games with the students back on campus.  Hopefully we can continue to improve on that.  We get WKU at home to close out the regular season.  I doubt we get the crowd we did for LaTech last year, but there's always hope.  It would be nice to see some 4,500 attended games or maybe even one with 5,000+. 

image.png.2b85dfcbc597b7c29dca73cf46295b24.png

• Upvote 2

On 1/20/2023 at 9:13 AM, kj86 said:

It's the style of play.  It's so freakin' boring.  The crowd cannot get into that.

We’ve only been playing this style for 6 seasons now…

would be awesome if the students tailored their noise to the style. Would add to the atmosphere. 

looks like the next home game vs UTSA is gonna be in ESPNU. Need the stadium to be loud. 

• Upvote 2

I can only speak to this fan and not the motivation of others. Yes, I want the W. I also want to be entertained. I don’t understand this brand of basketball (Offense). If a coach is undermanned against a high powered offense with superior athletes, this is the brand to play. Let the air out. 

My issue is that this is the preferred style this coach wants to play. He has averaged at least 5 scholarship to give each year. It doesn’t appear he goes after the uptempo guys. His system seems to work because it is so unorthodox that it frustrates more talented teams/players; taking them out of their game. 

Can we have our cake and eat it to? Wins and championships in a more entertaining and uptempo fashion. 

I remember attending a game at  Baylor years ago against the great Vinnie “Microwave” Johnson. This was one of the more entertaining games I’ve attended. Vinnie was unstoppable and put up about 50 against a very good  North Texas team. They took Vinnie out to a rousing ovation lead by North Texas fans in a loss. 

With only 17k students in the mid 70’s, NT basketball was the place to be in front of the largest crowds in program history. Why? A combination of winning and exciting basketball. 

Locally today, TCU, Baylor, SMU, Tech, Houston have won and attracted huge crowds by not playing this slow down ball. The top programs attract the best personnel with entertaining basketball. 

Is there any reason why our attendance is not great despite record wins and championships? Folks want to be entertained. I do at least.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

From what I remember, the years Texas Tech made the National Title game, they played at a fairly slow tempo.  I may be incorrect, but that's what I recall.  

Tony Bennet has for sure great success with this style, both at WSU and now at Virginia (so did his dad).  Hell, he's won a National Championship.  Other teams have used it effectively as well.  

2 hours ago, Cooley said:

I can only speak to this fan and not the motivation of others. Yes, I want the W. I also want to be entertained. I don’t understand this brand of basketball (Offense). If a coach is undermanned against a high powered offense with superior athletes, this is the brand to play. Let the air out. 

My issue is that this is the preferred style this coach wants to play. He has averaged at least 5 scholarship to give each year. It doesn’t appear he goes after the uptempo guys. His system seems to work because it is so unorthodox that it frustrates more talented teams/players; taking them out of their game. 

Can we have our cake and eat it to? Wins and championships in a more entertaining and uptempo fashion. 

I remember attending a game at  Baylor years ago against the great Vinnie “Microwave” Johnson. This was one of the more entertaining games I’ve attended. Vinnie was unstoppable and put up about 50 against a very good  North Texas team. They took Vinnie out to a rousing ovation lead by North Texas fans in a loss. 

With only 17k students in the mid 70’s, NT basketball was the place to be in front of the largest crowds in program history. Why? A combination of winning and exciting basketball. 

Locally today, TCU, Baylor, SMU, Tech, Houston have won and attracted huge crowds by not playing this slow down ball. The top programs attract the best personnel with entertaining basketball. 

Is there any reason why our attendance is not great despite record wins and championships? Folks want to be entertained. I do at least.

Some great perspective heee Cooley.

Are we in a scenario of immovable-object-meets-unstoppable-force?

I think if we made a BIG winning run with this offense, like S16 or E8, we could inject more life/interest into attendance, despite the boring offense. 

but will it happen without any one, single high-profile recruit? We have gone after a few under Grant, but he hasn’t been able to secure one. If we can get ONE big catch, perhaps they can carry the rest of these system guys into the next level.