Will Deion cause the NCAA to change a rule that just changed?

El Paso Eagle

* Not saying what DS is doing is not within the rules, but just an example of how NCAA rules are followed, or not by programs, especially Ps if they are not very specific to what is allowed

The NCAA allowed the number of players you can bring in basically not be capped to allow for portal replacements to allow teams to keep the 85 players. Keep in mind that P5 school are supposed to commit to 4 year scholarship agreements. As Deion has come into Colorado he has, probably more than any other coach, openly ran players off players. Between transfers and HS signees his class is currently at 41 new players, and still growing. Will actions like this make the rules committee consider taking another look at the numbers allowed?

https://footballscoop.com/news/deion-sanders-wants-colorado-roster-to-be-80-percent-transfers

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 4

58 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Keep in mind that P5 school are supposed to commit to 4 year scholarship agreements.

"Supposed" according to who?  Schools were not even allowed to formally offer multiple year scholarships before 2010.  And now it is optional and I don't believe that even  the term "recommended" is included in the amended NCAA regulation allowing formal multiple year scholarships.  

I don't even like bringing up Coach Deion anymore because we missed a golden opportunity to pitch him.  He was the only coach out there that could have brought the drastic changes needed on and off the field to get us competitive with P5 programs within 3 seasons not 6-12 seasons.  I thought that is what majority of Mean Green fans wanted. 

But now I am tempted to root against him a Colorado as any success they have is potentially what he could have done here.  Not that we could been able to afford him but isn't good that we didn't try given his contribution to the last time the Dallas Cowboys won a Superbowl.  🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 2

53 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

"Supposed" according to who?  Schools were not even allowed to formally offer multiple year scholarships before 2010.  And now it is optional and I don't believe that even  the term "recommended" is included in the amended NCAA regulation allowing formal multiple year scholarships.  

I don't even like bringing up Coach Deion anymore because we missed a golden opportunity to pitch him.  He was the only coach out there that could have brought the drastic changes needed on and off the field to get us competitive with P5 programs within 3 seasons not 6-12 seasons.  I thought that is what majority of Mean Green fans wanted. 

But now I am tempted to root against him a Colorado as any success they have is potentially what he could have done here.  Not that we could been able to afford him but isn't good that we didn't try given his contribution to the last time the Dallas Cowboys won a Superbowl.  🤷🏽‍♂️

In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason.  Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Here are several facts about this rule:
– This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.

Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlete:

• Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
  • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
  • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or
  • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason.  Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Here are several facts about this rule:
– This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.

Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlete:

• Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
  • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
  • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
  • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).

Plenty of wiggle room to cancel/not renew a scholarship.  And not all of it is dependent on the athlete.  If you are a super straight arrow but not talented enough to contribute to the team you can make it hard for them to get rid of you by always doing the right thing.  But if they are motivated and don’t actually like you they can fabricate a reason to get rid of you.  Just like they cover up mistakes made by the most valuable players.   

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

He's definitely taking advantage of these two items... the last one is so wide open and team rules are probably vague enough to be applied in quite a few ways

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, golfingomez said:

He's definitely taking advantage of these two items... the last one is so wide open and team rules are probably vague enough to be applied in quite a few ways

And who is going to “enforce” this agreement? No one. 

• Upvote 2

yes a coach can remove a player from scholarship but in the past is was frown upon.  From what I understand from a friend who son played college baseball it is year to year for the players.  But it would be bad PR for coach to do that.  I dont think it matters much anymore with all the moving of players in portal.  The player can do so can the teams.  It is now an open market.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, C Rod said:

Hot off the USA Today press:

Deion Sanders drastically overhauls Colorado’s football roster in just eight weeks.

The Old Guard is punching the air right now. 

Someone remind me what the scholarship limit is for? It's obvious it does not apply in this situation.

25/class.  Which I thought meant you could only sign 25 players to a scholarship, players that are incoming from anywhere, per year.  HS/xfers.  I'm either not informed enough, or an exception has been made for some reason.

Great that they are able to do this, but my issues, is that the P5 conferences have a commitment to the athletes that once you receive a scholarship it is good for the four years. There is no way they are able to do this without running out players they do not want. It's not an issue of if you support it or not, it is a case where a school and the coach are deciding which rules they will and will not follow. If coaches are not held accountable to follow the rules why should anyone expect the players to? IMO, the NCAA is a complete waste and needs to be replaced with something that works - the only problem is the ones who have the ability (College Presidents) don't seem to really care as long as the money is coming in.

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Someone remind me what the scholarship limit is for? It's obvious it does not apply in this situation.

25/class.  Which I thought meant you could only sign 25 players to a scholarship, players that are incoming from anywhere, per year.  HS/xfers.  I'm either not informed enough, or an exception has been made for some reason.

The rule has been changed for now to where you can sign up to the number needed to be at 85.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Great that they are able to do this, but my issues, is that the P5 conferences have a commitment to the athletes that once you receive a scholarship it is good for the four years. There is no way they are able to do this without running out players they do not want. It's not an issue of if you support it or not, it is a case where a school and the coach are deciding which rules they will and will not follow. If coaches are not held accountable to follow the rules why should anyone expect the players to? IMO, the NCAA is a complete waste and needs to be replaced with something that works - the only problem is the ones who have the ability (College Presidents) don't seem to really care as long as the money is coming in.

I agree with you on your assessment of the NCAA and the need for a better solution for oversight and governance. 

However when you say “run out players they do not want”, what actually happens is the new head coach meets face-to-face with the player and has a brutally honest conversation. The player is informed they will be demoted to third string so the new transfers/recruits get playing and practice time. The player is then left with an adult decision to make. Stay, keep the scholarship and graduate, but never see the field. Or transfer out to a school that does want them, on scholarship, and maximize their remaining player eligibility. It’s not pretty but a coach is not breaking any rules by telling a player they won’t see the field on their team. In fact it’s their job to set the depth chart.

This is what happened to my friend’s son who currently plays in the SEC. Both were initially shocked by the brutal honesty but also appreciated it after the sting wore off. They know where they stand and can adjust accordingly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, C Rod said:

I agree with you on your assessment of the NCAA and the need for a better solution for oversight and governance. 

However when you say “run out players they do not want”, what actually happens is the new head coach meets face-to-face with the player and has a brutally honest conversation. The player is informed they will be demoted to third string so the new transfers/recruits get playing and practice time. The player is then left with an adult decision to make. Stay, keep the scholarship and graduate, but never see the field. Or transfer out to a school that does want them, on scholarship, and maximize their remaining player eligibility. It’s not pretty but a coach is not breaking any rules by telling a player they won’t see the field on their team. In fact it’s their job to set the depth chart.

This is what happened to my friend’s son who currently plays in the SEC. Both were initially shocked by the brutal honesty but also appreciated it after the sting wore off. They know where they stand and can adjust accordingly. 

And I can understand when a coach meets privately with a player and they discuss.