15 minutes ago, untphd said:

She was raped in 98 by some football players.

And not at Baylor but has grown a strong disdain for all the coaches that were at Baylor during the Briles era. She has a particularly strong dislike for our one-time, although temporary, OC Tate Wallis.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Considering he's stepping down in conferences. Wtf does that even mean. They've had former Baylor guys on staff before this anyways. Ignorance is bliss I guess

Briles Jr was particularly gross with his recruiting techniques. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Who gives a shit. He didn't do a crime. 

You are talking to the fanbase of a historically poorly ran G5 football program.  Being "unsullied" from things like this is one the few positives they have to hold on to.  🤷🏽‍♂️.   But we really shouldn't give a crap especially since we don't really compete with Baylor nor TCU for recruits.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

Just now, Mike Jackson said:

You are talking to the fanbase of a historically poorly ran G5 football program.  Being "unsullied" from things like this is one the few positives they have to hold on to.  🤷🏽‍♂️.   But we really shouldn't give a crap especially since we don't really compete with Baylor nor TCU for recruits.

I respectfully disagree with you on this @Mike Jackson.  I have a girlfriend and I would never want her to go through what some of these Baylor ladies had to endure.  We have an obligation as a society to protect our mothers daughters and wives/girlfriends from the horrors of rape.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I respectfully disagree with you on this @Mike Jackson.  I have a girlfriend and I would never want her to go through what some of these Baylor ladies had to endure.  We have an obligation as a society to protect our mothers daughters and wives/girlfriends from the horrors of rape.

100 % agree, but isn't this supposed to be the same society that follows innocent until proven guilty? Did KB ever get tried and convicted? Seems to be several who believe they should be able to follow the rules/laws they like, but ignore those laws/rules for the ones, or people they don't like.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

40 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I agree with that in a board sense.  But that isn’t what I mean when I say; we shouldn’t care.   I say we shouldn’t care because we don't have influence on who leadership at TCU or Baylor decides to hire.  Also I am skeptical how preventing staff from Briles' tenure at Baylor from getting jobs not connected with UNT protects women (even if we had that power).  It is hard for me to be proactively campaigning against any Briles associate from getting another college coaching job not knowing their level on guilt/knowledge in the situation.  I think we need to be careful assigning scarlet letters to lower level leadership in these situations.   At the end of the day the ultimate responsibility is with individuals closet to situations that lead to sexual assault or have received solid evidence of an assault taking place.   After the assault is too late and certainly after litigation is way too late to have the best positive influence.  I think we should have an expectation that our male colleagues or direct reports not sexually assault women.   The final point is that I don't believe female students at TCU are even 1% more likely to be assaulted by TCU football players going forward because Briles is the OC now. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Campaigning against associates below AD, HC, or even assistant HC not formally charged or even reprimanded by the NCAA or former employer is virtue signaling that doesn’t actually protect women.  

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, greenminer said:

In one swoop, this establishes that 1) you want to open this box again (ugh), and 2) you have some level of disdain for anyone that thinks he deserves blame.

It was nearly a decade ago. There has been horrible people in football forever.  I don't think hes a good person.  That doesn't mean he shouldn't ever be able to work again, and he has been working for several teams. If he came here I would have been excited for the potential of our football team.  How different is it having briles than us having Bennett last year?? 

Also don't presume what I think with broad generalizations

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

It was nearly a decade ago. There has been horrible people in football forever.  I don't think hes a good person.  That doesn't mean he shouldn't ever be able to work again, and he has been working for several teams. If he came here I would have been excited for the potential of our football team.  How different is it having briles than us having Bennett last year?? 

Great points.  And I would suggest the next phase of this debate start with how does blackballing mid-level management allegedly  involved or passive ignoring rumors of sexual assault a decade ago makes women today safer.    We are all against sexual assault but I believe there are better and more impactful ways to attack the problem than permanently blackballing bystanders.  And I use “bystanders” loosely because bystander suggest the person was onsite immediately before, during, or after an alleged assault.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Of the dozens of very qualified OCs available, why would the TCU choose to take on the reputation hit this will cause. And to those who say there isn't a reputation hit, every article about him includes references to the rapes at Baylor. A substantial number of TCU alumnus and other donors will be bothered and it will take extra work to keep them giving to the school. Schools that recruit against TCU will be digging out and using Kendals disgusting and frequently quoted comments to recruits. It no longer matters if they are true - they are so much in the public view most people believe they are true! 

Kendal is a good OC, but is he that much better to be worth the problems he brings?

With so many OCs available, why buy the headache for the school? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I was just having fun with the lack of tact.

Typing "who gives a shit" in a topic like Briles, and then throwing out your stance on Briles' innocence, is like walking into a Cowboys bar and drunk screaming "the ref ruled Dez a no-catch.  Move on, idiots."

your words, your choice, though.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Of the dozens of very qualified OCs available, why would the TCU choose to take on the reputation hit this will cause. And to those who say there isn't a reputation hit, every article about him includes references to the rapes at Baylor. A substantial number of TCU alumnus and other donors will be bothered and it will take extra work to keep them giving to the school. Schools that recruit against TCU will be digging out and using Kendals disgusting and frequently quoted comments to recruits. It no longer matters if they are true - they are so much in the public view most people believe they are true! 

Kendal is a good OC, but is he that much better to be worth the problems he brings?

With so many OCs available, why buy the headache for the school? 

I think despite having been in the national championship game, TCU probably doesn't have all that much pull with the maybe dozen or two OCs that are really at that level. They also don't have money like a UT or any SEC B1G school. There probably actually are not as many similarly qualified options for them as you appear to think. Still that does not mean it was the right thing to do. But he has remained attractive to a number of schools because for a school like TCU the on-field quality gap to the next guy is probably fairly wide.

Also, while I agree that this might be a quite sizable problem in terms of keeping the donor base together, I am afraid that this may not be nearly as high on some of the young mens minds, seeing as they were probably not yet watching the news when all of this happened, and not everybody is socially engaged.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Genuinely curious...  were his offenses at Arkansas that good? I don't think of Sam Pittman's Hogs as some dynamic offensive juggernaut... before that, he was OC for a year and a half at a Florida State team so bad and anemic Taggart got run mid season. Not saying that was KB's fault, I don't know much about these situations at all, I'm just genuinely asking here

• Upvote 1