Am I the only one worried about the Defense?

El Paso Eagle

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Good news is they are off to a good start putting together the foundation of the defense for the next four years. Bad news is these guys are going to be 18 this season going against a bunch of 21-24 year olds. What the coaches can do with the guys already on campus will be key for this season, but we got some guys who look like they’ll be able to play.

Exactly, plus the whole inexperienced coordinator and new system thing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

48 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Good news is they are off to a good start putting together the foundation of the defense for the next four years. Bad news is these guys are going to be 18 this season going against a bunch of 21-24 year olds. What the coaches can do with the guys already on campus will be key for this season, but we got some guys who look like they’ll be able to play.

I still would not be surprised to see us add 2 or 3 more from the portal after May

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Well, I am actually still worried about it. Really excited about these recruits but there are still a ton of questions.

There were enough questions about last year's defense that make me think that a change in offensive philosophy, an improved strength and conditioning program, and more secondary talent can help us win or at least make us more competitive in big games.

My understanding about Morris is that by the time he got to Washington State he realized that the "air raid" offense had problems related to holding on to a lead late in the game and came up with something he called the "Cougar raid" that emphasized the tight end more. I'll let others speak about conditioning and secondary play, but it was obvious from the SMU game forward that we weren't keeping up with teams that had a good passing game without help from the weather. Oh, and penalties that kept us from getting off the field.

There was talent on defense last year, just not enough, too little help from the offense, and not enough conditioning to handle being on the field as long as they were. Bennett was better the first year that he was here, but we needed someone in the prime of their career and more involved in recruiting.

I think we'll be better on defense, but only if we're more consistent of offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

The defense has talent, there's vets coming to the secondary too. CB will be a weakness unless one of these Freshmen can step up (starling/nelson) I'd expect us to get another CB after spring in the portal to sure it up.  Also the S&C change should help the most on Defense. We looked tiny vs most teams the past few yrs. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Post signing day thoughts on the defense:

Obviously the secondary is the biggest concern, with Gaddie and Whitlock gone and the uncertainty about Davis getting another year or not. There is really no obvious replacement for Gaddie on the roster and I am not sure if any of the transfers play CB. At safety, we were unstable last year, with Faulkner barely able to cover receivers and giving up huge plays over the top until Wilson got the nod and somewhat stabilized things. It seems like most of the guys we brought in are slated to get looks at safety since they will likely have three safeties on the field so I am less worried about that position, at least going forward. 
I think the D-line is in pretty good shape and the JUCO Moore will reinforce a fairly solid group. It will be interesting to see how they use the guys we have in the new scheme but I think we have sufficient talent there. 
Our starting LBs (depending on how they use the third LB) look to be in good shape with three experienced guys returning in Wood, Nichols, and Nixon but not too much experience behind them. I am a little surprised they didn’t bring in an LB transfer but that might be because they plan to use guys like Mazin Richards at LB, whereas I view them as more of an edge rusher. This would make sense and add depth to the position. 
I would enjoy hearing thoughts from @GMG24. @aztecskin. @BillySee58 on how they view what the defense might look like. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming Gaddie does not return, this is who I show on the roster currently not including the new signees or walk-ons etc:

Dillion Williams    DB    5-11    185    So.    Nacogdoches, TX / Nacogdoches HS

Loronzo Thompson    DB    6-0    170    So.    Friendswood, TX / Clear Brook HS

Quinn Whitlock    DB    6-0    194    Sr.    Pinola, MS / Mendenhall HS    Copiah-Lincoln CC

John Davis    DB    6-1    190    Sr.    Euless, TX / Trinity HS    Texas Tech

Patrick Smith    DB    5-10    178    Fr.    Sugar Land, TX / Clements HS

Logan Wilson    DB    5-10    167    So.    Dallas, TX / Bishop Dunne HS    K-State / ULM

Moh Bility    DB    6-0    182    Fr.    Dallas, TX / North Dallas HS

Nick Nakwaasah    DB    5-11    195    So.    Dallas, TX / Bishop Dunne HS    Central Arkansas

Alphie Guillory    DB    5-9    184    So.    DeSoto, TX / DeSoto HS   

Keelan Crosby    DB    6-1    194    Jr.    Anna, TX / Anna HS

Bryce Linder    DB    6-0    192    So.    College Station, TX / A&M Consolidated HS    Blinn College

Zahodri Jackson    DB    5-10    185    Sr.    Sarasota, FL / Riverview HS    Utah State

Ridge Texada    DB    5-8    181    So.    Frisco, TX / Centennial HS    McNeese St.

Harold West    DB    6-2    187    So.    Arlington, TX / Lamar HS

Christian Traylor    DB    5-9    180    R-Fr.    Arlington, TX / Martin HS

Grayson Ward    DB    5-10    180    Fr.    Aubrey, TX / Aubrey HS

Robert Johnson    DB    5-10    181    R-Fr.    Memphis, TN / Memphis Academy of Health Sciences HS   

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, eulessismore said:

There were enough questions about last year's defense that make me think that a change in offensive philosophy, an improved strength and conditioning program, and more secondary talent can help us win or at least make us more competitive in big games.

My understanding about Morris is that by the time he got to Washington State he realized that the "air raid" offense had problems related to holding on to a lead late in the game and came up with something he called the "Cougar raid" that emphasized the tight end more. I'll let others speak about conditioning and secondary play, but it was obvious from the SMU game forward that we weren't keeping up with teams that had a good passing game without help from the weather. Oh, and penalties that kept us from getting off the field.

There was talent on defense last year, just not enough, too little help from the offense, and not enough conditioning to handle being on the field as long as they were. Bennett was better the first year that he was here, but we needed someone in the prime of their career and more involved in recruiting.

I think we'll be better on defense, but only if we're more consistent of offense.

One of the things I disagreed with Seth's style, was that when it was clear the defense was winded, he did not seems to try and use up the clock. Not saying we have to do it the entire game, but there are times we need to use up most of the play clock before we snap.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

One of the things I disagreed with Seth's style, was that when it was clear the defense was winded, he did not seems to try and use up the clock. Not saying we have to do it the entire game, but there are times we need to use up most of the play clock before we snap.

I agree; just one of several clock management issues that frustrated many of us. Hoping that's in the past.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I think they got some guys for the future and maybe one or two is going to get some field time but I don't realistically expect freshman to come in and play and make a different right away. The ones that can and do, are 5-star dudes. 

Whatever the defense does next year, it really just needs to do the basic things of a defense -- be sound (don't give up big plays because you were not executing your reads, or had bad technique) and be aggressive --> turnovers. Sacks and picks. 

If you have young guys you just want them playing simple stuff fast and aggressively and hope that makes up for the lack of experience. 

Seth's defense last year was okay in spots. They uncoincidently looked very good when Logan Wilson was getting picks and Ridge Texada was jumping routes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I just see it differently.  Total defense ranking was atrocious.image.png.e5f4351f1d187486c20a1ae594344a63.png

True. But like a previous poster mentioned, the offense really crapped on our defense at times.

Defense finally gets off the field after a long drive giving up no points. Offense goes three and out with three straight passes.  Punt. 
Defense. You’re up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I just see it differently.  Total defense ranking was atrocious.image.png.e5f4351f1d187486c20a1ae594344a63.png

yeah this is why I don't like looking at total defense or even the S&P+ stuff. Those metrics are useful for some things but not others. 

NT got sliced up by SMU and UNLV (and later Boise) and that did a lot for their total yardage ranking. They did very well vs WKU, and had a good 2nd quarter vs UAB and a mediocre second half but was absolutely not helped by the offense at all in the final period like @Glory to the Greenwas getting at. 

The defense got lucky vs UTSA in the October matchup (Harris missed some wide open dudes on some important drives early) but also got an interception, forced some QB hurries and surprised the protections. I asked Frank Harris about that after the championship game. "You looked more prepared, was that something on film or what?" 

"Well, UNT did a lot of cover 0 pressures and to be honest we weren't ready for that. I was ready for it this time" 

I thought the pass rush that was there in October lost a little steam (FIU went to a quick pass game, Rice was able to max-protect, and UTSA did a combination of both plus had a better QB with mobility) and that contributed to the results (2 Ws 3 Ls, with that Rice win being ugly). 

I think the defense could have been helped by a better offensive performance. Three straight games of sub-400 yards for NT after the championship game. Asked about it, Seth said "well we can't expect one phase of the team to do it all. Its a team game." That's true but I mean, come on.

The defense was getting worked over in the title game, but they got a stop and NT had a lead. The NT offense just couldn't go score-for-score like they would have needed to. Sure, a better defense would have changed things but I felt like this defense was close to good enough to win a league title.. All things considered, that is not terrible.

Next year? Well we at least need to get stops vs the bottom half of the league and the high-powered scorers of the top half will easily put 50 on us if we don't match talent and scheme. I'd like to see one more pass-rusher. 

• Thanks 2