Rice (1/19/2023)

greenminer

Mean Green vs. Owls  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• North Texas Mean Green
    • Rice Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2023 at 04:00 AM

There were cracks in the armor before this. Too many close games. CUSA was always going to be a one bid team probably. 

But get over your disappointment, this team can beat any team in the conference and we just have to be ready playing our best come tourney time. I don’t like losing but in my thirty years of fandom we haven’t had too many 15-5 teams. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Not a tournament team.

I agree we are not a tournament team this year. What puzzles me the most is that it seems Mac was unable to take advantage of the successes of last three years when it comes to recruiting. 
Oh, don’t get me wrong…..this certainly beats what Benford was doing. 

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Embarassing loss. Too many guys not contributing enough this season. Ousmane back to Shaqt'n a fool at the FT line and not knowing where he's at on the court. How does our center get a layup rejected by the bottom of the backboard?

Perry is obviously going to be our leading scorer and we need to get him more open shots before the last media timeout.

I know Rubin has been injured but especially disappointed in his play last night. Everyone's scared to shoot when they get an open 3 and like already mentioned, we normally get a worse shot or turn it over.

Not only Abou, but all of our guards are liabilities at the free throw line, especially if it's only a 1-and-1. I think Rice only missed two or three all night, and they made all of the ones that mattered.

If we don't start blowing out the teams we were blowing out last year, and only let them hang around all game, teams like Rice will eventually pull ahead and pull away.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Grant needs to understand to adjust to the talent he has, this team is not as athletic as last year's team. The whole milking the clock on offense and then putting up a prayer is not doing us any good. Then we didn't adjust on defense, should of went to a zone and force outside shots. Instead of giving up backdoor cuts all night. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Not a tournament team.

Sadly agree. We’re a good team but the issues that we have internally are enough to keep us from being that calibre.

Weird to think that this is probably the 2nd worst version of the Mean Green under Grant. It’s still good but seems like we’ve got a couple pieces that don’t fit as well as the past couple seasons.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Anything can happen. We won the championship back in 2021, winning 4 games in 4 days 

I don't remember that team having as many issues as this team has had on offense. They were better about finding ways to get out of shooting funks than this team. Watching this team milk things on offense to try and find the perfect shot just for the opposing team to shut down the perimeter causing us to heave up a prayer and get multiple shooting violations is frustrating. Our offense looks like they only have a Plan A and when that doesn't work, we're forced into bad shots that usually don't hit

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I don't remember that team having as many issues as this team has had on offense. They were better about finding ways to get out of shooting funks than this team. Watching this team milk things on offense to try and find the perfect shot just for the opposing team to shut down the perimeter causing us to heave up a prayer and get multiple shooting violations is frustrating. Our offense looks like they only have a Plan A and when that doesn't work, we're forced into bad shots that usually don't hit

Oh I agree, but you never know during a tournament. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Wish we’d give Christian Moore some run. He might be the most pure PG on this roster and has shot the ball well in his limited opportunities. I get Mccasland needs to trust his guys defensively before he gives them minutes, but with the turnovers piling up it seems Moore’s abilities could help with some of our issues, as well as fatigue.

Mac has to determine if trusting someone's defensive ability is more important than their lack of ability to hold on to the ball.  We had too many turnovers against FAU and FIU and now this.  Couple that with empty possessions due to shot clock violations and this is what we get.

Abou is still a liability and not much of a threat offensively and Perry is our only reliable outside shooter at this time.  That makes it easy on opposing coaches.  I want to see Moore just for the shear fact that he has shown to have a consistent outside shot and is fearless.  I can live with a little less on the defensive end to add some consistent offense.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Grant needs to understand to adjust to the talent he has, this team is not as athletic as last year's team. The whole milking the clock on offense and then putting up a prayer is not doing us any good. Then we didn't adjust on defense, should of went to a zone and force outside shots. Instead of giving up backdoor cuts all night. 

I have the opposite view, the slow down offense worked; NT now is being lured into a running game that they are not good at.  

The biggest problem in my view is that Ousmane is just worned down, and NT has no substitute for him.  NT brings in Martinez, who is a shoot first player who plays on the outside and provides little around the basket and the team suffered without an inside presence. 

For whatever reason the teams other bigs, Morgan and Sissoko are never used.  Scott is effective but certainly not against big opposing centers like Rice and many other CUSA teams have. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Lack of defensive intensity was shocking last night but I think we look tired right now. My bigger concern is how we can stop having these 4-5 minute spans in every game where we can't score. Even when we drive to the basket and get fouled, we miss the FT's. We need to get something figured out before March. I still believe in Grant and this team. I think the schedule has really worn us down the last two weeks. Things slow down a little after Saturday. We need time to have 3-4 days of practice without a game. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Sadly agree. We’re a good team but the issues that we have internally are enough to keep us from being that calibre.

Weird to think that this is probably the 2nd worst version of the Mean Green under Grant. It’s still good but seems like we’ve got a couple pieces that don’t fit as well as the past couple seasons.

Seems like recruiting has finally caught up to Grant.  I think teams are starting to figure out his style of play and how to best defend it.  That slow down style has been a blessing but now it appears to be a curse.

• Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Seems like recruiting has finally caught up to Grant.  I think teams are starting to figure out his style of play and how to best defend it.  That slow down style has been a blessing but now it appears to be a curse.

I'm not ready to say teams have figured out Grant.  We are in a down year, and we've still only lost (speaking about CUSA here) to a really, really solid FAU team (who is eerily similar to last year's UNT), and one questionable loss to Pera's best Rice team.  We're still winning all the other games, in pretty much the same fashion we have always been doing.

And that still stands tomorrow; If we lose tomorrow to UAB, it's not that they've "figured us out".  They have interior guys that have always caused us problems.

Scoring 60 points is often enough to win with our style of play.  The biggest issue yesterday was, as I said last night, allowing 44 points in the 2nd to Rice.  It's not our offense that we need to be worried about being figured out...it's the defense.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, CMJ said:

Scoring 60 points is often enough to win with our style of play.  The biggest issue yesterday was, as I said last night, allowing 44 points in the 2nd to Rice.  It's not our offense that we need to be worried about being figured out...it's the defense.

Exactly what I tried to explain to @Big Z after the game.