UNT19dad

UNT19dad

I can't wait to see where Quinn's coaching career takes him.   He's has a brilliant football mind.
He has been equipped with traditional Air-Raid principles from Littrell & Harrell, as well as the Veer-&-Shoot from Bloesch.  The sky's the limit for whichever team decides to take a flyer on him as OC. 

Thanks for confirming what many of us here already knew:  Quinn was the de-facto QB's coach over the past few years.   With that experience, I know he's going to do great at UC-D, and wherever he winds up in the future.   If that's back here in Denton, I'll be happy!

Best of luck Quinn!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thanks for confirming what many of us here already knew:  Quinn was the de-facto QB's coach over the past few years.   

In 2020 and 2022 yes. In 2021 he was working with Mayes and the tight ends while Blake Joseph was in the quarterback room.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Quinn would seem to have a bright future in whatever he pursues.  I wish he were staying at UNT, but it will be good for him to “leave the nest” and get some experience elsewhere.  I’d love to see him climb the coaching ladder and come back to his dream job several years from now.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dr. Shanbour for checking in and letting us know where Q is taking on his newest challenge. I'm sure he did blow them away during his interview at UC Davis. From what I've heard, he does that to everyone. 

I didn't realize how highly he was regarded by coaches and teammates until I was sitting in the stands one spring chatting with Cade Pearson's dad, who was himself a coach. We talked about the QB's on the team and how we rated them, and when I mention Q, I couldn't believe his strong reaction. It turns out that Cade and Q were roommates and Q, even though a competitor for the same position, had been teaching and coaching Cade as a peer. Coach Pearson made it clear that he thought Q, was one of the finest young men he had ever met and probably the smartest.

I've told this story many times, but the first time I saw your son was at a practice, when McCarney was still coach. He was one of several QB's going through a fairly monotonous, drill. The QB took a snap, faked a hand-off to a Running back, and then threw to a WR who was running a route. So it was "snap-fake-throw, snap-fake-throw, THEN when Q stepped up it was "snap-fake-phfittt:" I couldn't believe my eyes, so I watched the conga line of QB's go around again and take their turns. Same thing "snap-fake-throw etc, etc" until, your son once again took his turn. And one again it was "snap-fake-phfitt". You could barely see his release. The last time I had seen a release like that was the spring scrimmage in 67 when I watched Steve Ramsey make his first appearance. He effortlessly launched a 50 bomb to someone wearing #31..... the late-great Ron Shanklin.  His arm motion was so quick, you could barely see it.

On another spring practice day a group of High School coaches were milling around the practice field. I was watching some drills when one of the coaches (the Head Coach of Fossil Ridge HS) came up and chatted with me for a few minutes. He then wandered off to watch some scrimmaging that was going on. He returned about 30 minutes later and sauntered up to me and said "tell me about #19". I'm asking you because you're the only one around here that seems to know anything. I told him what I knew about his background and how he ended up at NT. I then said "so what do you think?" He said "that guy can play QB". I said, "well, you might want to pass your observations on to the Head Coach". 

You son went from totally anonymous walk-on under McCarney to back-up QB for Mason Fine under Littrell/Harrell.  And it took his rise to second string QB before "someone" even acknowledged, in print, his existence on the team........shameful.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing/reading about your son's Dennis Francione-Eric Morris-like rise through the coaching ranks. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 2

• Harry featured this topic
16 hours ago, UNT19dad said:

he has 4 degrees from UNT  and could easily have been a doctor but chose to be a coach .

This is as impressive as anything. In a time when many GA's are in programs and don't finish, Quinn continued to work on his education. Wish him the best as he moves through the ranks.

• Upvote 2

I always see posters say it'd be nice to have a former UNT player as a coordinator or even HC. I think Quinn can be that guy for us one day. Thanks to him for dedicating so many years to UNT and congrats to him on the new gig. Can't wait to see what else he accomplishes!

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2