Breaking: DeShawn Gaddie enters Portal.

TheReal_jayD

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

everyone is so effing pious. if a rival company offered you a $50k raise and a company car you're telling me you'd pass on principle? stupid. 

Gaddie fulfilled his obligation to UNT. the covid year freed afforded him a chance at an extra season. he's probably not an NFL player, and maybe doesn't even want to be, so he decided to have the life experience of playing SEC football and tuck some cash away to start his life post-football. 

14 posts in this thread and he still won't reply to either of yours. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

everyone is so effing pious. if a rival company offered you a $50k raise and a company car you're telling me you'd pass on principle? stupid. 

Gaddie fulfilled his obligation to UNT. the covid year freed afforded him a chance at an extra season. he's probably not an NFL player, and maybe doesn't even want to be, so he decided to have the life experience of playing SEC football and tuck some cash away to start his life post-football. 

Not a fan of the portal, but if he followed the rules (and I realize those are hard to find), not problem. But this is another case where it seems like he probably started looking before he entered. And yes, even if everyone is doing it, that doesn't make it right even if people believe if you don't like/agree with the rule why follow it. Same for UNT, if we are reaching out to player who is not entered in the portal that's not right.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 1/16/2023 at 1:47 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Before some of you jump in, yes I know he has every right. But I think you are going to start seeing more fans letting players know how they feel about their performances. As they say, changes happen, but if players want to be paid, maybe they should be open game for fan comments.

Fans weren't bashful about commenting on player performances when they were unpaid.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

We lose out to a SEC P5? I'm OK with that. Good luck to Gaddy.

No problem with a player seeking and finding a “better” opportunity for himself. I do have a problem with a P5 poaching our player. No way it’s a coincidence Gaddie randomly enters the portal two days before it closes and immediately is with Ole Miss. Obviously a case of tampering. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Just now, 97and03 said:

No problem with a player seeking and finding a “better” opportunity for himself. I do have a problem with a P5 poaching our player. No way it’s a coincidence Gaddie randomly enters the portal two days before it closes and immediately is with Ole Miss. Obviously a case of tampering. 

It is clear tampering.  And the NCAA better do something about it quickly or this whole deal is going to turn to crap.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I find my interest in college football becoming less and less with the NIL.  The rich get richer and then there is the rest of us.

I am fine with student-athletes making money under the NIL.

But it is depressing that when UNT finally got to a point with coaching salaries, stadium and facilities where it was competitive, a new funding channel began of NIL collectives that leaves us way behind.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

When it started did you ever listen to any of the intentions? It was intended to allow student athletes to work and be paid at things such as card shows or on commercials. There was never mentioned that player would be Paid up front for signing on the line. 

Again, who was stating these intentions? You make it sound like this was a long contemplated topic by the ncaa, and not a direct response to the federal courts telling the ncaa what they are doing is not constitutional. In fact, the original NIL statement had so little guidance the ncaa just said to follow your state guidelines, good luck.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Again, who was stating these intentions? You make it sound like this was a long contemplated topic by the ncaa, and not a direct response to the federal courts telling the ncaa what they are doing is not constitutional. In fact, the original NIL statement had so little guidance the ncaa just said to follow your state guidelines, good luck.

I believe the original issue was video games using player names/likeness and the players getting nothing but the schools getting money for it. So yes, I would argue the intent was for a player to be allowed to make money from things like trading cards or photo shoots, perhaps even commercials. But what it became - and never should have been - was a Wild West of schools collaborating with businesses or alumni groups to recruit players based off what they can get paid. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

You're not wrong.  I think it's the sudden and complete separation from the previous "amateur" model we had to a full-on business that has turned people off.  Whether or not this was always happening behind the scenes, the curtain still blocked this out for those who wanted to live with their heads in the sand.

Honestly I think it’s deeper than professional v. amateur…for many it’s a shift from viewing these kids as property/commodity there for their entertainment only to having been made to view them as actual human beings.

You’ll notice we only have these 10 page threads when a starter or top player transfers. If it’s a bench player or one whose career didn’t pan out either no one cares to post or people post grateful to have the extra scholarship available. There’s no ethical or integrity argument. 

• Upvote 10
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Honestly I think it’s deeper than professional v. amateur…for many it’s a shift from viewing these kids as property/commodity there for their entertainment only to having been made to view them as actual human beings.

Careful, now. I made a similar comment on another thread and was told to "go to hell you piece of human shit." Stay strong.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

A month ago Lane was talking about his players and tampering. You have 3rd parties involved with agents and the NIL. It is here to stay.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not a fan of the portal, but if he followed the rules (and I realize those are hard to find), not problem. But this is another case where it seems like he probably started looking before he entered. And yes, even if everyone is doing it, that doesn't make it right even if people believe if you don't like/agree with the rule why follow it. Same for UNT, if we are reaching out to player who is not entered in the portal that's not right.

I imagine this is pretty standard. Most folks don’t let their current employer know they are looking elsewhere until they already have offers. It is a lot like when players have a draft evaluation done to see if they should forgo their remaining eligibility or stay in college another year. Gaddie loves this place and put in 4 good years, why should we be angry that he takes a shot in the last year he never knew he’d get coming out of high school. This could be the last year he plays football for the rest of his life, let him go enjoy the opportunity. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I believe the original issue was video games using player names/likeness and the players getting nothing but the schools getting money for it. So yes, I would argue the intent was for a player to be allowed to make money from things like trading cards or photo shoots, perhaps even commercials. But what it became - and never should have been - was a Wild West of schools collaborating with businesses or alumni groups to recruit players based off what they can get paid. 

Agree with that being the original intent, but everyone knew this was going to happen and those that have been paying attention know that the NCAA will do NOTHING about it.   Oh, they may penalize a few G5 schools but the NCAA doesn't have the guts/power to go after the big programs.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Wonder if we're over thinking him going to Ole Miss and the whole notion of tampering.

Edit to add Gaddie's tweet is a few years old from when Biagi left UNT for Purdue. Don't see every player making a post about every coach when they leave the program.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 hours ago, 97and03 said:

We have no idea why he entered the portal.. he could have been told by the new staff to look around, he could have wanted to pursue opportunities at Ole Mis that come with the degree etc… hell the money he got from NIL will jumpstart his career after football… 

we should ALL hope he has a successful career after he is done in college, if that is at rh next level or in his career, and maybe one day he will return the favor to UNT for what it helped him become. 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3