Breaking: DeShawn Gaddie enters Portal.

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't give a shit 1 way or the other. But we don't need upset police here. If someone is upset with him, eff it let them be. And let them voice it. Who cares. 

My issue is with the system. Not this 1 player. 

My post wasn't even in response to you. For the most part I agree with your point as well, the system is out of control. No one is trying to be the upset police. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I find it all bullshit. High school kids didn't get a 5th year. Pro players didn't get a frivolous year tacked to their contract. 

Yet, here we are pushing an extreme amount of power to the college players. The "covid" year, the wild west of transferability, and the NIL. It's all laughable. Remember the pro NIL people: "pLaYeRs sHoUlD bE aBlE tO mAkE mOnEy fOr aUtOgRaPh sIgNiNgS". Logical people said it would be a slippery slope. It wasn't even slippery or a slope. It was straight down to the pits of dirty pay for play at its inception. The toothpaste is out of the tube and I've had enough of it.  The game will be ruined and less and less people will be interested. And it may sound like an old man yells at cloud argument, but I'm 35. The value isn't there. Simply put, these practical kids aren't worth it to me. Attendance will eventually putter and donations will dry because we know the money is going to line pockets of 18-22 year olds. My ego isn't fragile enough to pour money into this so I can go to the water cooler and tell work buddies how great my university is. In short time, many people will have this thought pattern. 

Example: the current fiasco at UF, with that QB. He agreed (or said he did) to 13 MILLION. UF was under the impression the agreement was "only" 9.5. Or they could "only" allott 9.5 towards him. A HS kid walking a HS hallway tomorrow took his ball and went home because he was "only" going to be pulling in 9.5 million dollars over 4 years, or say, 190 years of an average teacher pay in Texas. This kind of money isn't on UNTs level, but it's all relative. 

Clown World. 

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

I agree with you but it's not the kids' fault. Rich college football fans were so desperate to see the school they attended 20+ years ago win a national championship that they created a broken system. The kids would be silly not to take advantage. I think you said it elsewhere that it's the system you hate. I don't like it either but I also can't place fault in a player trying to milk it as much as they can.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I pretty much agree with your entire post, but this part is what really bothers me about NIL.  Bijan Robinson was making $2mil this year, which I think is ridiculous, but at least he’s done it at the college level.  How can a high school that 99% of America has never heard of be worth $9.5mil, much less $13mil.  How is that NIL?

My prediction is that kids like this will often be busts because they will have no incentive to work and get better.  I bet many of them blow through the money, don’t make it in the NFL, and don’t leave school with a degree.  Unintended consequences.

None of it is NIL in the way it was pitched and intended to be used. The system.is being abused abd the NCAA has no hold on this at all. If reform doesn't come to pass CFB will regress. It's not sustainable ans it's financially not worth it. 

'So KiDs cAn bE cOmFoRtAbLe iN cOlLeGgE' with millions, or even hundreds of thousands. It's a joke. 

NIL is supposed to be jersey sales with actual names on the back, autograph signings, real authentic company sponsorships, appearances, etc etc. None of which is actually happening. It's just booster money being funneled into a slush fund and then delt out accordingly. It's pay for play, period. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I agree with you but it's not the kids' fault. Rich college football fans were so desperate to see the school they attended 20+ years ago win a national championship that they created a broken system. The kids would be silly not to take advantage. I think you said it elsewhere that it's the system you hate. I don't like it either but I also can't place fault in a player trying to milk it as much as they can.

Yeah, It's not the player(s). The system has created this. The players are just playing the hand they've been dealt. Reform has to take shape, it has to. 

31 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

My post wasn't even in response to you. For the most part I agree with your point as well, the system is out of control. No one is trying to be the upset police. 

All good. My mistake. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'll explain why my downvote.

Fall practices start in August. UNT played week zero last year, before fall classes started. UNT has played bowl games after the fall semester ended the past 3 seasons at least. These guys make football-related commitments outside of the traditional school semesters but nobody has a problem with that. Now he gets a "free" semester without being part of the team and it's a problem?

Edit: like @BillySee58said a bit above, he fulfilled his football commitment for this school year. Why shouldn't he get the full year of school paid just because the football season ends before the spring semester starts.

I agree completely. Nobody is calling for Ethan Mooney’s scholarship because his eligibility is exhausted. If not for the covid extra year, Gaddie too would be out of eligibility. Also, remember when half the board wet their pants because Aune withdrew his name from the portal? That could happen here too.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

14 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Has Gaddie been guaranteed a starting position, because he had it here. What good is his NIL if he doesn't play?

And who is Caponi?

under-a-rock-live-under-a-rock.gif

He's the new Defensive Coordinator.

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It was a tough position but I tend to agree. Football was probably most effected so it made more sense there than basketball, for example.

NT basketball was hosed pretty hard that year.   2019-20's team was better than the 20-21 team that beat Purdue in the tourney.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, It's not the player(s). The system has created this. The players are just playing the hand they've been dealt. Reform has to take shape, it has to. 

The problem is, this was already happening before it was allowed. Maybe it wasn't as much money being tosses around because it had to be more hush hush but it was happening regardless. The only thing that would have helped is major sanctions for violating programs but the NCAA needs those big programs so much they couldn't afford doing that. That's a separate problem but if the NCAA did more to even the playing field across the FBS, they could tap into millions of football fans who don't currently watch their alma maters on Saturdays and maybe they wouldn't depend on a few huge programs for ratings. The NIL has just made it to where guys who previously wouldn't get money are getting some which isn't horrible. The big prospects were always going to get paid, whether under the table or openly now that it's allowed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That would be an indictment of Caponi, because if Caponi is looking at our roster, he's not going to find a better corner currently on the roster (Sorry Ridge).   If Gaddie was told to look elsewhere, or that he wasn't very good by the DC, who also serves as his position coach, that is a very poor assessment, considering the depth (and just flat-out lack of talent) at that particular position.

That's a lot of suppositions based upon a player announcing he is transferring.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

That's a lot of suppositions based upon a player announcing he is transferring.

See all the "if's" in there?   Of course it's supposing.   
This was just in reply to someone (also supposing) that Caponi (his word was "they") told Gaddie he didn't play well enough.    IF THAT'S THE CASE, then I ain't wrong... because I don't see a bunch of excellent cover-corners knocking down the door to join, and Gaddie was definitely the best corner on the roster.  Why would a coach chase him off?    I highly doubted that was the case at the time.

Instead, it looks more like Gaddie wants to test the NIL waters.  I'm not mad about that.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

See all the "if's" in there?   Of course it's supposing.   
This was just in reply to someone (also supposing) that Caponi (his word was "they") told Gaddie he didn't play well enough.    IF THAT'S THE CASE, then I ain't wrong... because I don't see a bunch of excellent cover-corners knocking down the door to join, and Gaddie was definitely the best corner on the roster.  Why would a coach chase him off?    I highly doubted that was the case at the time.

Instead, it looks more like Gaddie wants to test the NIL waters.  I'm not mad about that.

We are in violent agreement.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Like I said, and zero surprise its Kiffin.

Dude went 7-5 against FBS competition.   I don’t know that one year transfers from North Texas changes that. 

Could be wrong but I wonder if in five years the same familiar teams are still at the top. And the Kiffins and Fishers are still topping out at 8-4. 

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I know Gaddy is doing what he thinks is best for him.  No problem with that.

I find my interest in college football becoming less and less with the NIL.  The rich get richer and then there is the rest of us.  

Just losing interest in the game I guess.

Agree completely.  I watched more FCS games than I did P5 games this past season. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 1/16/2023 at 9:17 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

None of it is NIL in the way it was pitched and intended to be used. The system.is being abused abd the NCAA has no hold on this at all. If reform doesn't come to pass CFB will regress. It's not sustainable ans it's financially not worth it. 

'So KiDs cAn bE cOmFoRtAbLe iN cOlLeGgE' with millions, or even hundreds of thousands. It's a joke. 

NIL is supposed to be jersey sales with actual names on the back, autograph signings, real authentic company sponsorships, appearances, etc etc. None of which is actually happening. It's just booster money being funneled into a slush fund and then delt out accordingly. It's pay for play, period. 

lol, i think you are living in a delusional world. who was pitching and providing intended use for NIL? 

I don't have any problem with a kid trying to see what his value is on the open market. Like i always say... Better dead than red.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

image.png.891654b9c765eb8d407112aad9c4116c.png

Convince me this was not a done deal before he entered the portal.

Duh. Just 1 of the many, many problems with this broken system. 

It's not life changing money, so simply put he was sellout for a couple bucks and a new car. 

See ya. 

And again... it's not the player. It's the system. But still a sellout. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, golfingomez said:

lol, i think you are living in a delusional world. who was pitching and providing intended use for NIL? 

I don't have any problem with a kid trying to see what his value is on the open market. Like i always say... Better dead than red.

When it started did you ever listen to any of the intentions? It was intended to allow student athletes to work and be paid at things such as card shows or on commercials. There was never mentioned that player would be Paid up front for signing on the line. 

11 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I know Gaddy is doing what he thinks is best for him.  No problem with that.

I find my interest in college football becoming less and less with the NIL.  The rich get richer and then there is the rest of us.  

Just losing interest in the game I guess.

e898c4_411bf7f46fca47fd8b6c36815b4ea3cf~

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

...fulfilled his obligation to UNT

I've heard this in a couple posts, but (and putting the covid-year monkey wrench aside) what really is any student-athlete's obligation or the University's obligation for that matter?  Is it a 1-year obligation that renews each year until eligibility runs out?  Is it 4 academic years? Is it 4 eligibility years (over 5 academic years)?  What is each party really signing up for?

If we keep bringing in players, redshirting them for a year, then see them hit the portal after a good year or two, then the university is paying for 2 years for 1 year of "production" or 3 years for 2 years of "production."  I don't see how that's sustainable over the long-term.  I think a strategy for programs like ours is to discontinue the redshirt practice and start using eligibility immediately.  

For the record, and I've said this in other posts, I'm fine with players transferring.  Let them do it once per year without restriction and not have to sit out a year.  They get four years to play starting the moment the enroll.  Four years goes by fast.  

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

everyone is so effing pious. if a rival company offered you a $50k raise and a company car you're telling me you'd pass on principle? stupid. 

Gaddie fulfilled his obligation to UNT. the covid year freed afforded him a chance at an extra season. he's probably not an NFL player, and maybe doesn't even want to be, so he decided to have the life experience of playing SEC football and tuck some cash away to start his life post-football. 

You're not wrong.  I think it's the sudden and complete separation from the previous "amateur" model we had to a full-on business that has turned people off.  Whether or not this was always happening behind the scenes, the curtain still blocked this out for those who wanted to live with their heads in the sand.

People wanted to believe that college athletes picked their school for the same reasons that they did.  We get attached to these places and want to think that these athletes are just like us.  Forget that Bama (and countless others) has been buying championships for decades.

Personally, the misuse of NIL and the unlimited transfer portal (with no rules) has only served to increase my interest in the NFL and lessen my interest in college sports.  I haven't had my head in the sand, but just want to see some standards and rules created to level the playing field.  The way it is now will only serve the schools that are already rich.  The NFL was setup like this prior to the salary cap and free agency being introduced in the 90s.  Then those rules changes were introduced to help level the field and give all fanbases hope that they might be able to compete in any given year.  Not surprisingly their ratings and revenues shot through the roof.  If college sports are just going to be a business, then at least run it intelligently.  Keeping a system in place that only serves the existing top 10-15 power schools caps the maximum number of interested fans.  It's bad business.  All the evidence you need is the CFP TV ratings that continue to slide year after year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

e898c4_411bf7f46fca47fd8b6c36815b4ea3cf~

And yet they're all owned by billionaires so it's funny to me when they cry about how low their budgets are every season. That's a whole other topic though and Moneyball is a great movie for the simple fact that they actually conceived a decent storyline from that book. 

• Upvote 1