Breaking: DeShawn Gaddie enters Portal.

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, keith said:

What's tampering in the age of social media?  Let's say some coach starts following a bunch of players at various positions and then a few days later puts out a generic tweet asking who's going to be the one to complete the puzzle.  Would that be tampering?  

Tampering is formal contact with a rostered player with a monied offer. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Why? He completed the full season of obligation to his sport this academic school year. Should fall sport athletes only be guaranteed a semester of scholarship while spring sport athletes get a full year? 

Yes. If you withdraw from your sport, kick rocks. Everything else is word soup. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Venson said:

This is not the same because we are not part of the company. The players and coaches are part of the company. We are customers of the company. If the players and coaches are bad mouthing him, then I see your point. However, if the customers are upset that one of the best employees leaves, then we have the right to be a little salty because we are the ones paying for the product that the company produces. Especially if we have money invested in that company.

Even if the analogy isn’t a one-to-one match in that area, we still are part of the perception of the “company” (program). That’s just a difference between sports programs and standard companies. The consumers are part of the perception of the program in ways that the consumers of a standard company are not.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yes. If you withdraw from your sport, kick rocks. Everything else is word soup. 

It’s not. Scholarships are renewed based on academic school years. You participate for the full season of your team’s sport that academic school year, you get the scholarship for that full academic school year. Your sport ending earlier than others does not mean you didn’t fulfill your full obligation to your sport’s season that school year.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

When do we get past this extra Covid year stuff?  I think this extra year along with the transfer portal has created a lot of what we are seeing.  In the case here, I believe he was class of 2019.  Under normal circumstances he would have 5 years to play 4.  I believe under the Covid-rule, affected players get an extra year...6 years to play 5?  He says in his tweet he says he has 2 years of eligibility remaining.  That gives us 2019 (1), 2020 (2), 2021 (3), 2022 (4), 2023 (5).  He must have redshirted in 2019 and 2023 would have been (pre-Covid rule) his 5th year to play his 4th.  So, he was here for 4 years, but he only played 3.  That means he has 2023 (5) and 2024(6) as his 5th and Covid 6th year to play his normal 4th and Covid 5th.  Yikes.

If it was anyone that was around in 2020 gets 6 to play 5, then to answer my own question, there's 2 more years of this. Class of 2019 has eligibility out to 2024 and class of 2020 has eligibility out to 2025.  Assuming they have not exhausted eligibility, 2019 can transfer to play in 2024 for one year and 2020 can transfer in to play 2024 for 2 years or in 2025 for 1 year.  Does the class that entered in 2021 go back to the normal 5 years to play 4?

It absolutely has muddied things up in ways people still aren’t fully accounting for. This whole “transfer portal surplus” everyone likes to mention is primarily due to 6 classes of high school graduates all having college eligibility at once where it traditionally has only been 5.

2025 is the last season that there will be 6 classes of players with eligibility. That’s the last year that players who had their eligibility frozen in 2020 will still have eligibility. 2020 freshmen were still true freshmen in 2021, eligibility-wise. By 2025 they will be redshirt seniors, along with the 2021 HS graduating class who were the first to not receive an extra year due to the Covid eligibility freeze.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I agree a football player should be given a full academic year, including the spring semester "after" their eligibility has expired. 

But if he still has sport eligibility left, and enters the transfer portal, he should be treated as opting-out of his remaining scholarship, including the upcoming semester.

Right but my point is, why should the player be seen as opting out of their scholarship for the remainder of the school year that they already fulfilled their full obligation of participating in their season? Why should a basketball player who enters the portal after their season finishes in March be granted their scholarship for both semesters while a football player who also played their entire season that school year be only given one semester or scholarship?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Perhaps him and Clay Jennings didn't have the best relationship? He was his coach for his first two years here.

Regardless, good player who gave us 4 years moving on. It is what it is, he will be good wherever he goes. 

I'm personally not sold on Jennings.  I think that's the weakest hire we made

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Right but my point is, why should the player be seen as opting out of their scholarship for the remainder of the school year that they already fulfilled their full obligation of participating in their season? Why should a basketball player who enters the portal after their season finishes in March be granted their scholarship for both semesters while a football player who also played their entire season that school year be only given one semester or scholarship?

I agree he should be given the spring semester UNLESS he has eligibility left but enters the transfer portal...  Isn't he then not able to participate in spring drills?   If he can't meet his scholarship obligations (spring practice) because of entering the portal then he has opted out of further support from UNT in my view.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Even if the analogy isn’t a one-to-one match in that area, we still are part of the perception of the “company” (program). That’s just a difference between sports programs and standard companies. The consumers are part of the perception of the program in ways that the consumers of a standard company are not.

That's why we as the consumer have a thing to say about the product. It happens in all sports from the professional level and below. North Texas is not exempt. They do it at Alabama and Georgia as well and they still win and get kids to come there. I am not worried about what the fans say because kids have to know when they play a public sport where fans are involved, there will be complaints. If he can't deal with fans at North Texas, how would he deal with an even bigger fan base in the NFL, which I am sure is his goal.

• Upvote 3

Gaddie played from day one, played thousands of snaps for us, for most of his time here he was the best we had back there. He was a great leader, and a great representative for us and an FBS student athlete in general. He really cared about UNT, go look at his timeline from his whole time here.

If you're going to be upset with anyone leaving, this is the wrong guy. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Gaddie played from day one, played thousands of snaps for us, for most of his time here he was the best we had back there. He was a great leader, and a great representative for us and an FBS student athlete in general. He really cared about UNT, go look at his timeline from his whole time here.

If you're going to be upset with anyone leaving, this is the wrong guy. 

I don't give a shit 1 way or the other. But we don't need upset police here. If someone is upset with him, eff it let them be. And let them voice it. Who cares. 

My issue is with the system. Not this 1 player. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I find it all bullshit. High school kids didn't get a 5th year. Pro players didn't get a frivolous year tacked to their contract. 

Yet, here we are pushing an extreme amount of power to the college players. The "covid" year, the wild west of transferability, and the NIL. It's all laughable. Remember the pro NIL people: "pLaYeRs sHoUlD bE aBlE tO mAkE mOnEy fOr aUtOgRaPh sIgNiNgS". Logical people said it would be a slippery slope. It wasn't even slippery or a slope. It was straight down to the pits of dirty pay for play at its inception. The toothpaste is out of the tube and I've had enough of it.  The game will be ruined and less and less people will be interested. And it may sound like an old man yells at cloud argument, but I'm 35. The value isn't there. Simply put, these practical kids aren't worth it to me. Attendance will eventually putter and donations will dry because we know the money is going to line pockets of 18-22 year olds. My ego isn't fragile enough to pour money into this so I can go to the water cooler and tell work buddies how great my university is. In short time, many people will have this thought pattern. 

Example: the current fiasco at UF, with that QB. He agreed (or said he did) to 13 MILLION. UF was under the impression the agreement was "only" 9.5. Or they could "only" allott 9.5 towards him. A HS kid walking a HS hallway tomorrow took his ball and went home because he was "only" going to be pulling in 9.5 million dollars over 4 years, or say, 190 years of an average teacher pay in Texas. This kind of money isn't on UNTs level, but it's all relative. 

Clown World. 

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

This reminds me of one of those rants that gets posted about the players don't play for the love of the game anymore and are only in it for the money and when you get to the end the reveal is it was written in 1917.

Businesses make "clown" decisions everyday. So do people. If you think people in the South, the Midwest, and other hotbeds of college football (much less non-hotbeds) are going to give up college football and pick up another hobby, yeah, good luck with that prediction. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So is he "unenrolled"? Hopefully UNT is not paying for this semester.

Enjoyed the eyeroll above without the spine to explain why?

I'll explain why my downvote.

Fall practices start in August. UNT played week zero last year, before fall classes started. UNT has played bowl games after the fall semester ended the past 3 seasons at least. These guys make football-related commitments outside of the traditional school semesters but nobody has a problem with that. Now he gets a "free" semester without being part of the team and it's a problem?

Edit: like @BillySee58said a bit above, he fulfilled his football commitment for this school year. Why shouldn't he get the full year of school paid just because the football season ends before the spring semester starts.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

A HS kid walking a HS hallway tomorrow took his ball and went home because he was "only" going to be pulling in 9.5 million dollars over 4 years, or say, 190 years of an average teacher pay in Texas.

I pretty much agree with your entire post, but this part is what really bothers me about NIL.  Bijan Robinson was making $2mil this year, which I think is ridiculous, but at least he’s done it at the college level.  How can a high school kid that 99% of America has never heard of be worth $9.5mil, much less $13mil.  How is that NIL?

My prediction is that kids like this will often be busts because they will have no incentive to work and get better.  I bet many of them blow through the money, don’t make it in the NFL, and don’t leave school with a degree.  Unintended consequences.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I find it all bullshit. High school kids didn't get a 5th year. Pro players didn't get a frivolous year tacked to their contract. 

Yet, here we are pushing an extreme amount of power to the college players. The "covid" year, the wild west of transferability, and the NIL. It's all laughable. Remember the pro NIL people: "pLaYeRs sHoUlD bE aBlE tO mAkE mOnEy fOr aUtOgRaPh sIgNiNgS". Logical people said it would be a slippery slope. It wasn't even slippery or a slope. It was straight down to the pits of dirty pay for play at its inception. The toothpaste is out of the tube and I've had enough of it.  The game will be ruined and less and less people will be interested. And it may sound like an old man yells at cloud argument, but I'm 35. The value isn't there. Simply put, these practical kids aren't worth it to me. Attendance will eventually putter and donations will dry because we know the money is going to line pockets of 18-22 year olds. My ego isn't fragile enough to pour money into this so I can go to the water cooler and tell work buddies how great my university is. In short time, many people will have this thought pattern. 

Example: the current fiasco at UF, with that QB. He agreed (or said he did) to 13 MILLION. UF was under the impression the agreement was "only" 9.5. Or they could "only" allott 9.5 towards him. A HS kid walking a HS hallway tomorrow took his ball and went home because he was "only" going to be pulling in 9.5 million dollars over 4 years, or say, 190 years of an average teacher pay in Texas. This kind of money isn't on UNTs level, but it's all relative. 

Clown World. 

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

It was a tough position but I tend to agree. Football was probably most effected so it made more sense there than basketball, for example.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1