Breaking: North Texas Lands Commitment from McKinney Offensive Tackle Desmond Magiya

TheReal_jayD

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking: North Texas lands McKinney Offensive Tackle Desmond Magiya
  • TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking: North Texas Lands Commitment from McKinney Offensive Tackle Desmond Magiya
23 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Love it, this kid is young and has only played football for 2 seasons. He will likely develop into a difference maker who is ready to play after our portal guys go onto the NFL. 

Hoing this is one where the relationships with area coaches has given us the confidence he is worth taking. So far it does not seem like Morris rushes and makes offers he does not believe will fit.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Someone give me various reasons a '23 kid still doesn't have a 247 profile.  Do the student-athletes make them? Does a parent, or maybe even a coach?

24/7 makes them.  Apparently he wasn't on their radar yet.  They'll make one soon enough now that he's an NT commit.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Good film. Athletic and aggressive. 7’ wingspan and only 2nd year of playing football. These are the kind of factors you want to see when there isn’t much of an offer list.

I'd bet the portal is going to hurt these kinds of kids. new to football, very raw but has the measurables. I'll take a flyer. 

• Upvote 1

I’m up early smoking a brisket, so I have a lot of time on my hands. I just watched his tape and I was impressed by his run blocking. He is not afraid to get in a 3 point stance and block down on a LB or DE. I liked the effort he was giving on runs that were several yards down field. He was still sprinting downfield looking to make a block. His pass blocking was not bad against the small DEs he was facing. I imagine he will need a year in the weight room to add strength for blocking FBS DL. Overall, I think he has a lot of potential. This is a good pickup for 2-3 years down the road.

One other note, the RB he was opening up holes for is a highly ranked prospect in 24. Bryan Jackson, averaged 128 yards a game and 2 TDs. I see his top 6 schools are OU, Michigan, UT, USC, Tennessee, and Baylor. So Desmond helped contribute to this RBs success.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 4

84" wingspan is 3 inches above the average for NFL lineman at the age of 17 or 18 with time to grow. Not that wingspan is important, but it likely means his arm length is at least above average which is a whole lot more important for offensive tackles. Boom/bust type of player who's effort is evident on every highlight. 

• Upvote 4