Why does next year have. To be a rebuilding Year?

Jonnyeagle

1 hour ago, Green with Envy said:

who said it was?

Absolutely everyone has been pointing out that 2023 is not a rebuilding year, from Eric Morris pointing out how we just went toe-to-toe with a solid Boise State team in a bowl game.

That said, Jake is a great player, just not sure exactly how he would have fit into Morris' offense.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Absolutely everyone has been pointing out that 2023 is not a rebuilding year, from Eric Morris pointing out how we just went toe-to-toe with a solid Boise State team in a bowl game.

That said, Jake is a great player, just not sure exactly how he would have fit into Morris' offense.

Jake is a good receiving TE so I think he would fit fine. It's just Gumms is a better fit and would have seen more touches. I don't blame Jake at all for wanting to get more touches at the P5 level than he would have gotten here next year. 

• Upvote 4

This is absolutely a rebuilding year... This program should have started planning for next season, 3 months ago.  Instead they hit the reset button in December on the eve of the transfer portal opening and they are only a few days into actually preparing for next season (transfer window closes on the 18th).  Good thing is, expectations are low, the playbook is wide open and players will have plenty of opportunities.  Also keep in mind that the AAC is a much better conference talent wise, its going to take a few solid recruiting and transfer classes before the team is able to compete.   

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

This is absolutely a rebuilding year... This program should have started planning for next season, 3 months ago.  Instead they hit the reset button in December on the eve of the transfer portal opening and they are only a few days into actually preparing for next season (transfer window closes on the 18th).  Good thing is, expectations are low, the playbook is wide open and players will have plenty of opportunities.  Also keep in mind that the AAC is a much better conference talent wise, its going to take a few solid recruiting and transfer classes before the team is able to compete.   

With the step up in competition, we could have a worse record and still be a better team than we were this year. Fans are pumped with a new staff, but a couple of months ago there was a lot of talk about how our talent level was not ready for the American. Our staff got a late start and are working hard to recover. Let's see what players we get in and how they, and the returning players pick up the new systems and hope it goes well. I think year two will be a dramatic improvement from this next season.

2 hours ago, Dpony14 said:

I know none of you are going to listen to an SMU fan, but don't do this to yourselves.... We brought in our old OC, played against the same conference with the same players and a good QB, and we still took a step back. You're bringing in a new system, new QB, and upgrading conferences. And please don't point at Sonny as an example. He himself admitted that they caught a lot of lucky breaks to get where they did. Just my two cents though. Yall do you. 

I don't think any of us expect to roll right through the American next year, but I think it is reasonable to see next year's roster as being at least comparable to last year's.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't think any of us expect to roll right through the American next year, but I think it is reasonable to see next year's roster as being at least comparable to last year's.

Given the new staffs focus on recruiting... I expect a much much better roster. 

Coaching still TBD... But for whatever reason I'm optimistic

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With the step up in competition, we could have a worse record and still be a better team than we were this year. Fans are pumped with a new staff, but a couple of months ago there was a lot of talk about how our talent level was not ready for the American. Our staff got a late start and are working hard to recover. Let's see what players we get in and how they, and the returning players pick up the new systems and hope it goes well. I think year two will be a dramatic improvement from this next season.

No doubt there was going to have to be an improvement in recruiting heading into the AAC, and we will never know what sort of recruiting the program was gearing up to prior to the SL firing.  The new staff had to start all over in the middle of the transfer window, and that easily set them back.  I think 2 maybe 3 seasons to get this program back on track, I just hope everyone has patience with the new coach during that time.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I think WK was the only team we beat last year with a winning record. If next year's roster is comparable to last year's we should expect about the same results.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't look at it as a rebuilding year considering that we played in a conference championship game and almost beat a pretty decent Boise State team.  However, I am realistic about our step up in conference competition and would consider Coach Morris a good hire if we went 6-6 next year.   Just my .02

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eppie96 said:

I don't look at it as a rebuilding year considering that we played in a conference championship game and almost beat a pretty decent Boise State team.  However, I am realistic about our step up in conference competition and would consider Coach Morris a good hire if we went 6-6 next year.   Just my .02

With a late start, and the upgrade in competition a 6-6 next year would be very nice 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, MrAlien said:

No doubt there was going to have to be an improvement in recruiting heading into the AAC, and we will never know what sort of recruiting the program was gearing up to prior to the SL firing.  The new staff had to start all over in the middle of the transfer window, and that easily set them back.  I think 2 maybe 3 seasons to get this program back on track, I just hope everyone has patience with the new coach during that time.  

I don't entirely get this logic.   2 to 3 years to get the program back because NT changed coaches.  NT terminated Littrell and hired Morris because they obviously were not satisfied with .500 seasons. 

Moving into a new conference does not make the team worse.  The record maybe, but not the talent. 

With next year's oc schedule, I think anything less than a 6-6 record would be very disappointing.   I don't know who NT will play in conference., but 5 members of the league will be teams that are now in CUSA. 

The only two teams that I don't think NT can compete with next year are Tulane and SMU.  East Carolina and Memphis will be a big challenge.  The other current members: Tulsa, Temple, Navy and S. Florida look beatable.  

• Upvote 2

On 1/13/2023 at 1:25 AM, Jonnyeagle said:

Jake wasn’t that good

⬆️ I appreciate the optimism, but quick question did you have a designated driver to get you home after this post?  Hopefully you were already home.  

I would call 2023 a rebuilding year but it will be a recalibrating year.  I don’t know how this team will stack up against a AAC schedule with better coaching and QB play.  No one does really.  I expect them to be somewhat competitive but it will be a learning curve.  Just an another reason Seth shouldn’t have been the head coach for 2022.   Tough to go into a new conference learn your team without tape of them verses most of you conference foes.  

Edited by Mike Jackson