An observation

emmitt01

11 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Against La Tech last night, our lead evaporated mainly (though not entirely) because Cobe Williams went at his defender and either got to the bucket or got to the line.  

Williams was 8-9 on free throws.  Crawford was 13-15.  They both drove at us and constantly drew fouls as part of their second half strategy.  It almost worked.

NT likewise has two excellent free throw shooters in Perry and Huntsberry.  We should focus on that same strategy when our outside production goes stale.  Get our best shooters to the line and take out some of the opponent's players with fouls.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Against La Tech last night, our lead evaporated mainly (though not entirely) because Cobe Williams went at his defender and either got to the bucket or got to the line.  

This was not the first time this happened in conference and won’t be the last because Jam (or preserves, or jelly, or whatever) from UAB will do the same when we face them.  

My question is this; why don’t we have a guy like that?  A guy who can penetrate off the dribble and put pressure on the opposition to either play perfect defense or foul?  I’m not saying we abandon our entire offensive philosophy, but i’d like to see us have someone who can get a quick bucket when our offense has gone to sleep (as if seems to do once per game).  Our pass around the perimeter and hope Tylor can hit a step back offense will bite us, and likely when it counts most.  

I agree. It would also be nice if we had a couple of solid midrange jumper guys. Scott hit some really nice midrange shots but he really isn't known for that. Oh, and the last shot was pretty good too. We need more of those.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You know what we should do?  We should have a meeting and give Coach M our thoughts on how to run his team and how to win a conference championship.  While we are at it, maybe we could all throw in our thoughts on who he should target in recruiting.  That would be terrific.

• Haha 3
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

This was not the first time this happened in conference and won’t be the last because Jam (or preserves, or jelly, or whatever) from UAB will do the same when we face them.  

My question is this; why don’t we have a guy like that?  A guy who can penetrate off the dribble and put pressure on the opposition to either play perfect defense or foul?  I’m not saying we abandon our entire offensive philosophy, but i’d like to see us have someone who can get a quick bucket when our offense has gone to sleep (as if seems to do once per game).  Our pass around the perimeter and hope Tylor can hit a step back offense will bite us, and likely when it counts most.  

Sure missed JJ last night.  He was the answer to stop these kind of guys. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Williams and Crawford's second half performances were borne from desperation. they had a gameplan which we took them out of entirely in the first half, so I'm guessing that LA Tech team-talk at half was pretty much coach telling his two best players to just go get buckets and two good players did. 

however what we saw in the second half from them is not sustainable over 40. minutes, or three games, or ten games or a conference slate. it was desperate, it was tough and in the end it still wasn't enough. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

You know what we should do?  We should have a meeting and give Coach M our thoughts on how to run his team and how to win a conference championship.  While we are at it, maybe we could all throw in our thoughts on who he should target in recruiting.  That would be terrific.

That is what fans do, we are all experts behind our computer screens.

I will add my two cents; I wonder about those advocating that McCasland change his coaching style. 

The offense is too predictable, doesn't use his bench, puts offense in bad position by running the shot clock down on just about every offensive possession etc.

I think McCasland is a super coach, and frankly adjusts his type of play to win with the type of recruits; he can sign.

If NT had for example a Jelly Walker, would NT play the same offense they do now.  I really have no idea.  

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

however what we saw in the second half from them is not sustainable over 40. minutes, or three games, or ten games or a conference slate. it was desperate, it was tough and in the end it still wasn't enough. 

Might be interesting to see how LT fairs on Saturday. They could have exhausted themselves last night

5 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I like what we’re developing. Not always/only relying on Perry’s heroics.  Ousmane is a force. Kai is finding his groove (love that they trusted him to deliver last night), and Scott is finding his spots.  This is potentially more dangerous than asking one/two guys to bring home the win. 

They didn't. Tylor was trying to get the ball but was being mauled by a face guard. Kudos to Kai for stepping up big time. 

I think Kai is supposed to be our slasher as others have stated. I think he can be that once his confidence is in full form. 

I think Kai and Rubin both have that ability and wish they'd do just that. I wish we'd do it more as well. Depending on 3s is like constantly throwing deep in football: it's the quickest way to build a lead and quickest way to lose a lead. Eventually, the law of averages catches up to you.

Sticking to 3s even when cold has already cost us 2 winnable games. I'd like to see us figure out different ways to score when we go cold from 3. Hopefully it includes force-feeding Scott in the midrange.

• Upvote 1

I’ve said this before but it seems like Kai’s instinct is to do what Emmitt is suggesting but he’s tamping it down to try and fit into Mac’s offense. He sometimes looks like he’s hesitating. I think he’ll get more comfortable with each game. The game winner, he didn’t hesitate. He didn’t have to or need to…and he hit the big shot. 

• Upvote 1