FAU (1/14/23)

CMJ

21 minutes ago, Venson said:

Well, I hate to see us lose, but I feel like FAU will be the same as we were last year. They will do well in Conference, but when it comes to the tournament, we will get it done. CUSA is unfortunately a one bid conference. What really matters is who wins the tournament.

As much as I wanted to win this game and jump up in the NET. This is the harsh reality. It should change with the American.

By no means is this a cop out for this game, if we want to be champions, this is the team we have to beat and I think the game that matters will be in March.

NT could have won this game, but some of you seem to miss the point; NT was playing away in a cracker box gym filled with FAU fans.   FAU was the higher rated club.

Sure NT has a lot that they need to work on, but there were some big positives.  NT got next to nothing from inside the paint and still could have won.  Scott played maybe his best game at NT.  Perry was his usual unstoppable self in the second half.  

As an aside, I thought the color broadcaster was more a cheerleader than a provider of basketball insight. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Sure NT has a lot that they need to work on, but there were some big positives.  NT got next to nothing from inside the paint and still could have won.  Scott played maybe his best game at NT.  Perry was his usual unstoppable self in the second half.  

You're seeing two very good, very close teams battling it out (twice now) and you can spin this "closeness" either way.

FAU is just better and more consistent on offense then we are.

Another way to look at it is,

They are good enough to hang around all game, and can count on our inconsistencies to help them win in the final moments: a Perry that no-showed the first half, or the ghost of Abou accounting for 1 total point.

Again, you could say that despite these deficiencies we were in a position to win.  But we are seeing, over and over again, these things come back to haunt us and cost us in bigger games.  We are good enough on defense to handle 90% of this league (there are others that can beat us on a good night), but we will continue to struggle to find wins against FAU's consistency and whatever our future postseason foes bring to the table.

Having said that, GreenMiner is SUPER hungry for FAU 3.0 in Frisco.  We are this close to getting one, and I truly believe beating the same team - a team that is on par with your own - 3 times in one season is one of the hardest things to do in all of college basketball.

• Lovely Take 1

On 1/15/2023 at 5:58 PM, greenminer said:

I do wonder what Grant is telling Abou about this lack of production.  Everyone knows how much better we are when he is giving us 8+ points in a night.

Kai seems a little bit more settled, but we must solve this disappearance from Abou.

46% on 10 attempts a game from your big man is pretty bad. You can’t continue running post ups for him if these are the results. I’d rather take my chances on contested Tylor 3s

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

46% on 10 attempts a game from your big man is pretty bad. You can’t continue running post ups for him if these are the results. I’d rather take my chances on contested Tylor 3s

Abou did not look good last night.  I thought he had it figured out after the utsa game, but he seems to have regressed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 5:42 PM, greenminer said:

You're seeing two very good, very close teams battling it out (twice now) and you can spin this "closeness" either way.

FAU is just better and more consistent on offense then we are.

Another way to look at it is,

They are good enough to hang around all game, and can count on our inconsistencies to help them win in the final moments: a Perry that no-showed the first half, or the ghost of Abou accounting for 1 total point.

Again, you could say that despite these deficiencies we were in a position to win.  But we are seeing, over and over again, these things come back to haunt us and cost us in bigger games.  We are good enough on defense to handle 90% of this league (there are others that can beat us on a good night), but we will continue to struggle to find wins against FAU's consistency and whatever our future postseason foes bring to the table.

Having said that, GreenMiner is SUPER hungry for FAU 3.0 in Frisco.  We are this close to getting one, and I truly believe beating the same team - a team that is on par with your own - 3 times in one season is one of the hardest things to do in all of college basketball.

If we end up as the #2 seed, we will probably have to beat UAB for a third straight time to get to FAU. 

26 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

If we end up as the #2 seed, we will probably have to beat UAB for a third straight time to get to FAU. 

Yes.  UAB has Jelly back and is flexing its muscle, having climbed into the #3 spot.  If things hold as they currently stand, it would be us meeting UAB in the semi (if neither of us lose beforehand), and FAU workign their way through the other side of the bracket.

Having said that, I won't be surprised if the tourney shakes out in way completely different than the regular season.