FAU (1/14/23)

CMJ

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

This won't a popular post around here, but I'll say it anyway....

FAU exposed the fact that this team lacks the size and talent to be the best in C-USA. We are a scrapy team and we play some solid defense. But, we are the 2nd best team in C-USA. Maybe we can land a spot in the NET. 

McCasland has to bring in bigger and better talent if we are going to compete in the AAC next season. It's that simple.

Ultimately, this is it. I like all of our guys. They're good players, some better than others. But, the "fit the mold" strategy of recruiting is code for we aren't recruiting well enough. Fix it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Ultimately, this is it. I like all of our guys. They're good players, some better than others. But, the "fit the mold" strategy of recruiting is code for we aren't recruiting well enough. Fix it. 

We do have other options on our bench.  FAU's bench averages 37 pts per game.  They are rested and fresher than our 6 guys playing 35-38 minutes each.  We looked worn out at the end.

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, DeepGreen said:

The girls won?  How in the hell did that happen?

The obvious answer?

Neither school has much of a home field advantage from the women's game crowds, but there was one HUGE difference.

At FAU our women got clobbered while wearing our black costumes instead of North Texas colors. Jalie and our women return home a week later, same teams, same personel, and wear our school colors GREEN and WHITE and destroy FAU by 16 points.

Moral of the story: Wear trash, play like trash. So, barring an annual blackout game, never wear the gray or the black trash bag costumes again.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Eady is not pulling his share to me.

I'd say Sissoko is the biggest bust of the transfers so far. We really need another big man off the bench since Ousmane has been struggling. From the eye test he looked like he could come in and really contribute, but he barely sees the floor. 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

We need a new offensive coordinator.

I don’t think we have one. People who have simply tuned into a game have seemingly commented we have no offense. It’s grit defense and just throw the ball around on offense. Not even a basic offense and it moves at a snails pace.

If we we are going to play undersized/small ball we better be athletic and push the pace. Going to have to learn to pick up the on offense. 

• Eye Roll 4

19 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I'd say Sissoko is the biggest bust of the transfers so far. We really need another big man off the bench since Ousmane has been struggling. From the eye test he looked like he could come in and really contribute, but he barely sees the floor. 

Morgan doesn’t either…. We don’t seem to like to play Bigs. 

Go back and watch the first of the game. We are scoring in the flow of our offense and shooting in rhythm. We aren’t forcing shots at the end of the shot clock after dribbling around for all but five seconds. That is the offense we need to run for 40 minutes and we would be fine.

I would still like to see Moore and Sissoko get more time. Morgan hasn’t shown that he deserves any minutes yet, but Moore has hit his open shots and Sissoko is a big body with nice touch around the rim. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

The obvious answer?

Neither school has much of a home field advantage from the crowds, but there was one HUGE difference.

At FAU we got clobbered while wearing our black costumes instead of North Texas colors. We return home a week later, same teams, same personel, and we wear our school colors GREEN and WHITE and destroy FAU by 16 points.

Moral of the story: Wear trash, play like trash. So never wear the gray or black trash bags again.

confused confusion GIF by Sleep On It

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Go back and watch the first of the game. We are scoring in the flow of our offense and shooting in rhythm. We aren’t forcing shots at the end of the shot clock after dribbling around for all but five seconds. That is the offense we need to run for 40 minutes and we would be fine.

I would still like to see Moore and Sissoko get more time. Morgan hasn’t shown that he deserves any minutes yet, but Moore has hit his open shots and Sissoko is a big body with nice touch around the rim. 

I hear you and I wish so as well but, Sissoko is a turnover machine right now.  Every time he gets the ball in the paint he looses the rock.

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Teams are making adjustments to us a halftime and we don't seem to be doing the same.  La Tech turned around an 18-point deficit at half to nearly beat us at the end.  FAU today turned a 5 point deficit at half into a 4-point win.

Also, turnovers, unforced errors and shot clock violations all contribute to our poor offense.

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Teams are making adjustments to us a halftime and we don't seem to be doing the same.  La Tech turned around an 18-point deficit at half to nearly beat us at the end.  FAU today turned a 5 point deficit at half into a 4-point win.

Also, turnovers, unforced errors and shot clock violations all contribute to our poor offense.

But we also do it to ourselves. Late in the first half we went to the dribble the clock down with Perry, everyone standing around, no off the dribble cuts, throw up a shot offense that works the clock but ends up in empty possessions. Sure they are making adjustments, but we also do it to ourselves.

Scott is coming on but for the most part is an underutilized weapon. He is a great slasher, has a nice mid range shot and probably the second best stroke from the three point line besides Tylor. 

20 minutes ago, Venson said:

Well, I hate to see us lose, but I feel like FAU will be the same as we were last year. They will do well in Conference, but when it comes to the tournament, we will get it done. CUSA is unfortunately a one bid conference. What really matters is who wins the tournament.

IF FAU wins out but doesn’t win the conference tournament, it would be tough to leave them at home. 

• Upvote 3