Women's Team vs LaTech

El Paso Eagle

Another blowout loss to a middle of the road CUSA team. They will not be even remotely competitive in the American. She recruits a bunch of short girls. They can be great shooters, but not when they are shooting over trees. Jalie is probably best as an assistant. Great recruiter, but well below average HC.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Venson said:

Another blowout loss to a middle of the road CUSA team. They will not be even remotely competitive in the American. She recruits a bunch of short girls. They can be great shooters, but not when they are shooting over trees. Jalie is probably best as an assistant. Great recruiter, but well below average HC.

The problem is poor shooting, not lack of tall girls.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

The problem is poor shooting, not lack of tall girls.

I can go with this. I don't know a lot about basketball. As a matter of fact, the only basketball I watch is UNT basketball. Since I don't know a lot, how do we improve shooting? Just recruit better? I don't know because what I read about the girls she recruited, they seemed to be pretty highly rated. Why is that not translating to this level?

12 hours ago, Venson said:

I don't know because what I read about the girls she recruited, they seemed to be pretty highly rated. Why is that not translating to this level?

Jalie came within two baskets of winning the conference a couple years ago. Last year she got our team into the NIT. She is recruiting very well. These are things that haven't happened for North Texas women's basketball regularly.

This year, she has six of her fifteen players out just about all season due to injury, with several of them being starters. The team strives to compete but the missing components are enough to inhibit their ability to win. Starting center senior Jaylen Mallard is probably the most important missing piece, and her absense has allowed opponents to go inside much more than recent seasons.

So here's the question. Did Jalie, arguably our best women's basketball coach ever, suddenly forget how to coach, or are the losses this year the obvious results of talented players being injured and depth being depleted?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

Jalie came within two baskets of winning the conference a couple years ago. Last year she got our team into the NIT. She is recruiting very well. These are things that haven't happened for North Texas women's basketball regularly.

This year, she has six of her fifteen players out just about all season due to injury, with several of them being starters. The team strives to compete but the missing components are enough to inhibit their ability to win. Starting center senior Jaylen Mallard is probably the most important missing piece, and her absense has allowed opponents to go inside much more than recent seasons.

So here's the question. Did Jalie, arguably our best women's basketball coach ever, suddenly forget how to coach, or are the losses this year the obvious results of talented players being injured and depth being depleted?

Best NT basketball coach ever over Aston, not remotely close.

Than if you eliminate Aston, you are saying she is better than Slinker.  Not sure of that either.  She is definitely better than Pedersen and Stephens, but it would be difficult to make worst hires than those two. 

A disaster of a season related to injuries.  I stated elsewhere NT's biggest problem is lack of a point guard or anyone that can and wants to distribute the ball.   Moore and McGruder seem much more interested in shooting than passing.

You mention Mallard, but I think Johnson and Lambert are both as capable.  

The issue I have with this team is they don't seem well coached at all. First one that can fire up a shoot usually does, and defense doesn't look like a priority.  Maybe lack of experience or coaching or both. 

I would be very surprised if Mitchell doesn't get another year to turn this around.  However, I am not sure that is the right answer. 

I can't say your points aren't valid, but I am secure in the belief that no change will be made this year considering the circumstances of the season.

If there's not improvement next year, even in the new AAC, then that's another matter.

Personally, I have faith in Jalie and hope she'll get it all turned around.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Grim Reaper Halloween GIF

4-11 so far this season, which could lead to her worst yearly record at NT.

This would also make it 4 losing seasons out of 8 for her career here.

Her overall record at NT to date is 104-118. 

Like football, it's time for a change.