Denton players and UNT

El Paso Eagle

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

We don’t know if this staff had any interest in Dove. Heck, it seems they chased off a Nebraska transfer already. Plus Dove, the former Ryan Raider, is going to catch passes from Henigan, the former Ryan Raider. Give me the best player regardless of zip code.

I don’t get the whole “this guy was from Denton so we must offer him and sign him” bit. Remember a couple years ago when several were on  the train that we had to sign Kaedric Cobbs because he was so good at Guyer and Guyer is in Denton? What has he done at UTSA? Little. What did we get instead? Ikaika Ragsdale from Las Vegas and Isaiah Johnson from Lubbock. I think we came out ahead.

Quick look -
UT - 14 from Austin
Tech - 5 from Lubbock
UTSA - 13 from San Antonio
Houston - 13 from Houston
UTEP - 19 from El Paso

These are just the players from the actual city, not surrounding cities

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I don't think many want to stay that close to home. Especially staying in Denton from Denton.  

Yep, my daughter grew up in Denton and played college soccer. She could have played at numerous schools in Texas but she wanted to get out and do her own thing. Same thing for several of her friends that played football, basketball, softball, etc at various Denton area high schools.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

UT - 14 from Austin (Pop. 944,658)
Tech - 5 from Lubbock (Pop. 255,537)
UTSA - 13 from San Antonio (Pop. 1,434,540)
Houston - 13 from Houston (Pop. 2,293,288)
UTEP - 19 from El Paso (Pop. 676,395)

Denton - Population 139,704

Yeah, I'm of the mindset of going and getting studs wherever they may be. 

I'm also of the mindset of building recruiting much how you build a roster, from the inside - out. Go snag Dentons best kids if at all possible. Sway them and get em in the door. Then go get Prospers best, Mckinney, Frisco, Plano, Lewisville, etc etc. Make UNT the hometown hero brand if at all possible. And then when it's not possible go to beast Texas and filter through and get the best you possibly can. Then, go all over the country and land the best available kids. And do it relentlessly. But, gotta start at home 1st. 

2 hours ago, NT93 said:

Would be interesting to see how many hometown kids stay in their college town.  Denton-UNT, Austin-UT, Lubbock-TT, etc.  Lots of variables, but are our numbers any worse than other schools?

Lubbock/Amarillo has been awful with this as well. Joey is already working on fixing it, hopefully same case here. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

We don’t know if this staff had any interest in Dove. Heck, it seems they chased off a Nebraska transfer already. Plus Dove, the former Ryan Raider, is going to catch passes from Henigan, the former Ryan Raider. Give me the best player regardless of zip code.

I don’t get the whole “this guy was from Denton so we must offer him and sign him” bit. Remember a couple years ago when several were on  the train that we had to sign Kaedric Cobbs because he was so good at Guyer and Guyer is in Denton? What has he done at UTSA? Little. What did we get instead? Ikaika Ragsdale from Las Vegas and Isaiah Johnson from Lubbock. I think we came out ahead.

This!! I will admit I was upset we didnt make a play for cobbs. Boy was I wrong. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

It's going to take a lot more than that, $40k is about the minimum. A friend of mines son who was in the portal got $70k from a P5 school that's not even a traditionally strong team.

I'm curious how the payment is being handled for these players. Are the players getting a check every couple of weeks or are they getting a lump sum?  Are taxes being withheld?  Are they just going to get a 1099 at the end of the year?  They are going to be in for a shock when they have to file self-employment taxes and all the money they received is gone.

Not looking for you to answer ntmeangreen11 (unless you know, of course), just using your post to ask some questions out loud. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, keith said:

I'm curious how the payment is being handled for these players. Are the players getting a check every couple of weeks or are they getting a lump sum?  Are taxes being withheld?  Are they just going to get a 1099 at the end of the year?  They are going to be in for a shock when they have to file self-employment taxes and all the money they received is gone.

Not looking for you to answer ntmeangreen11 (unless you know, of course), just using your post to ask some questions out loud. 

Article on income tax considerations

https://www.claconnect.com/en/resources/articles/2022/student-athletes-may-not-recognize-the-tax-implications-of-nil-deals#:~:text=Generally%2C athletes will be considered,athlete's tax return is filed.

44 minutes ago, untphd said:

Waiting for the first player to sue his school for not making sure he was prepared for NIL.

3 hours ago, keith said:

I'm not sure how every school does it, and I could be remembering some of what I heard incorrectly, but..

For another student athlete I know  of who got $40k it was $2,000 a month ($24k a year) leaving $16k. That part of it was dependent of passing classes, so if he doesn't fail it's $8k for after one semester is over, and an additional $8k once the second semester was over with good grades. Separate from the $40k was a deposit for a brand new 2br condo (player still responsible for paying rent) but the school was also paying for it to be fully furnished and covering all utilities/bills.

So to answer your question, I don't think it's a lump sum. That could be different at other schools or for more high profile recruits getting $100k+

Edited by ntmeangreen11

16 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

I'm nothing close to a D1 athlete but when I was looking at colleges I specifically chose the ones that I knew I wouldn't see half of my high school graduating class at. Might be a factor for some, might not. 

This! A big part of "going away to college" is "going away." 

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

I'm nothing close to a D1 athlete but when I was looking at colleges I specifically chose the ones that I knew I wouldn't see half of my high school graduating class at. Might be a factor for some, might not. 

my parameters for college were, i liked the color green and i wanted to get north of San Antonio... you couldn't have paid me to say within 30 minutes of my hometown... but i do love my hometown still

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

my parameters for college were, i liked the color green and i wanted to get north of San Antonio... you couldn't have paid me to say within 30 minutes of my hometown... but i do love my hometown still

I think out of 101 only 3 of us ended up at UNT. There were probably about 10 or 15 people each that went to UTA or Navarro College. Despite my mom's suggestion, I wasn't going to attended Ferris Senior Senior High. 

On 1/11/2023 at 9:24 PM, Cr1028 said:

This is the entire point I have been trying to make for the past 2 months

• Haha 1