Embarrasing showing by TCU

13 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

They literally just beat the Big 10 champ last weekend.  How does that fact get wiped out by last night?  They got absolutely destroyed.  I get it.  But how do we know that Michigan, or anyone else, would have fared better?

What will truly be used against them are the TV numbers from the game, and tickets sold.  Did they bring fewer butts and eyeballs once the dust settles on the ratings?  I'd love to see what the ratings were in the 1st quarter of this game.  I'd be willing to bet there were a lot watching on TV.  Especially from Texas.

Also, once we go to 12 teams in the playoffs, there will be a higher likelihood that they'll earn one of those spots.  Win games and you keep your reputation high enough to drive rankings.

B/C them beating Michigan felt like a fluke in real time. Then when you start examining their schedule results and then remembering their sprint to kick 3 Baylor escape and their 11-point 4th quarter deficit to kstate in big12 title game it sort of makes sense. They were escaping pretty mediocre teams over and over. 

What this game should highlight is how the current format is allowing the top 3 or 4 teams to stack talent beyond anyone else. 

4 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

No, I don't, but I remember their comeback against the Oilers.  People remember great games.  That Michigan - TCU game was an all-time great game.  Up there with the Boise - OU Fiesta bowl.  Personally, I'll remember that game over the championship game because I flipped the channel at half-time.  It was never an actual contest.

Obviously, the record books will likely only track the championship game....and that score line will be repeated over and over.  I agree with you there.  Doesn't mean I won't remember that semi-final game more, though...because again, it was one of the most entertaining college football games ever.

That's perfectly fine for you but the vast majority of fans (and certainly casual fans) are going to remember the historic beatdown last night.  There really isn't even a close comparison.

21 minutes ago, ADLER said:

True, TCU and North Texas are not the same, but, that loss yesterday has essentially terminated hopes that the Big XII will be anything other than a high G-7 conference after Texas and Oklahoma's departure. That loss will be Exhibit A referenced in any future debate regarding comparable leagues.

The yet to be announced Pac defections are going to create the other G-7. 

People dismiss the Big XII even though they have the 3rd strongest conference. They will increase their payouts even after OU/UT leave, they will still have great bowl tie ins, their basketball credits will still be significant, and most importantly they have the eyeballs. 

https://theathletic.com/3976714/2022/12/06/college-football-nfl-tv-ratings/

They were close to drawing what the Big 10 and SEC did while almost doubling what they Pac did. The Big XII is going to be #3 in the pecking order but there is going to be a big drop off from 3 to 4. 

13 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

That's perfectly fine for you but the vast majority of fans (and certainly casual fans) are going to remember the historic beatdown last night.  There really isn't even a close comparison.

If people won’t remember it, why do most teams even play? What hope does SMU have if winning their first playoff game over a traditional power is so inconsequential? Want to take up competitive pickleball with me and leave all this nonsense behind us? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Quoner said:

If people won’t remember it, why do most teams even play? What hope does SMU have if winning their first playoff game over a traditional power is so inconsequential? Want to take up competitive pickleball with me and leave all this nonsense behind us? 

Had they not lost in literally THE WORST DEFEAT IN BOWL HISTORY you could maybe put things into context but ya know....they did.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, SMU2006 said:

Had they not lost in literally THE WORST DEFEAT IN BOWL HISTORY you could maybe put things into context but ya know....they did.

This was a team playing a really poor game against a team that would have beat probably anyone by 30+ last night. One terrible game in TCU's season.

Context = Only team with the Death Penalty because they cheated for years

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This was a team playing a really poor game against a team that would have beat probably anyone by 30+ last night. One terrible game in TCU's season.

They needed a missed FG by Ohio State to even be in the game.  

Cool DP dig bruh..

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Also, didn't win their conference.  Granted they kept that one within one score and not 7,000 points like last night.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Fans of our program certainly don't.   Both our programs were challenged very significantly in regards to conference realignment.  TCU has the extra excuse of being a small private religiously associated university.  When the SWC/Big 12 told them to kick rocks they kept beating on the door for admittance with investment in their program and winning on the field.   UNT floundered dropped down to FCS, did nothing on that level and since returning to FBS have a losing record against FBS competition.  --- Oh and they have a major bowl win as a G5 program, the first G5 Doak  Walker Award Winner (only 2 all time).  Not to mention finishing in the AP top 25 several years as a G5.  How many has UN--eh let's not go there.    

In my top 10 things I want to see the Mean Green do, beating a TCU team having a good year is probably somewhere between 7-10.  Instead of laughing maybe we need to be doing everything we can to bring in people who were there for the time TCU was rebuilding towards being a competitive P5 team.  

But if hating on TCU gives you more enjoyment than going to UNT games, more power to you.  Just please offer that disclaimer first so I can skip the rest of your comment.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Dang, I'm pulling out the closeted tshirt tcu fans in droves. 

Any fbs program in the country would have put up a better showing than what we witnessed last night. Felt like watching a blueblood vs an fcs squad in a week 0 tune up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I mean, I think both TCU's major victory and their defeat last night will be remembered but what will really be remembered how good both the Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl were.  Those were two of the greatest games I've ever seen back to back.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

There's not a poster on this board, including our resident $mut and Cougar High posters that wouldn't rub one out for the chance to be blown out in the CFB title game.

Not the point. The topic is that the performance was embarrassing, not that others wouldn't like to be embarrassed as well.  That was a pathetic performance.   I didn't want them to win, but by the beginning of the 4th quarter I felt bad for them.

Edited by Green Crazy

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

I mean, I think both TCU's major victory and their defeat last night will be remembered but what will really be remembered how good both the Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl were.  Those were two of the greatest games I've ever seen back to back.

I have to disagree. That skull dragging will be remembered for a long, long time. It'll outweigh anything before it. It was bad. Real bad. A literal all time bad.  

It's what I expect Georgia to do to a Samford or Kent State. And those games were only 17 and 33 point beatings, respectively. Just this season. A 58-point thrashing at any point in the season versus any opponent isn't really justifiable. It's borderline firable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I have to disagree. That skull dragging will be remembered for a long, long time. It'll outweigh anything before it. It was bad. Real bad. A literal all time bad.  

It's what I expect Georgia to do to a Samford or Kent State. And those games were only 17 and 33 point beatings, respectively. Just this season. A 58-point thrashing at any point in the season versus any opponent isn't really justifiable. It's borderline firable. 

Blowouts happen in big games.  Hell, the Broncos once almost lost a Superbowl by as much as the Horned Frogs did last night. And the pros are with squads that are at least roughly the same talent (yes teams are more talented than others, but anyone playing in the NFL is damn good - it's not like 5 stars vs 3 stars).  

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Blowouts happen in big games.  Hell, the Broncos once almost lost a Superbowl by as much as the Horned Frogs did last night. And the pros are with squads that are at least roughly the same talent (yes teams are more talented than others, but anyone playing in the NFL is damn good - it's not like 5 stars vs 3 stars).  

True. But last night was the worst ever. Ever. And it didn't hardly take that pedestal. It took it by 3 touchdowns. 

• Downvote 2

On 1/10/2023 at 12:04 PM, SMU2006 said:

Also, didn't win their conference.  Granted they kept that one within one score and not 7,000 points like last night.

Why don't you go to the SMU fan page and enjoy trolling TCU there?  Everything about you posting here in this specific topic is odd and pathetic.  So odd that it is hard to come up with a NFL comparison to lend context to me calling it odd.   Best I can come up with is Viking fan going to Bears Fan Forum celebrating the Detroit Lions getting historically blown out in a Superbowl. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 1/10/2023 at 12:41 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Dang, I'm pulling out the closeted tshirt tcu fans in droves. 

Any fbs program in the country would have put up a better showing than what we witnessed last night. Felt like watching a blueblood vs an fcs squad in a week 0 tune up. 

🙄 Man I hate to do this but your trolling of a program we should be trying to emulate forces me to relive this horrible moment from our program's history.   I would certainly trade TCU's national championship game beat down with our 66-7 beat down at the hands of FCS  Portland State.   Like I said you sound like way more of a TCU hater/SMU fan  than a Mean Green fan with a firm grasp on reality.  So let me get this straight, our team's worse moment came at home against a FCS team, TCU's worse moment came against an undefeated National Champion Georgia team from the undisputed best conference in FBS loaded with NFL talent and citing this disparity makes me a closet TCU fan?   This just doesn't add up for me. 🤨

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Why don't you go to the SMU fan page and enjoy trolling TCU there?  Everything about you posting here in this specific topic is odd and pathetic.  So odd that it is hard to come up with a NFL comparison to lend context to me calling it odd.   Best I can come up with is Viking fan going to Bears Fan Forum celebrating the Detroit Lions getting historically blown out in a Superbowl. 🤷🏻‍♂️

🙄 Man I hate to do this but your trolling of a program we should be trying to emulate force me to relive this horrible moment from our program's history.   I would certainly trade TCU's national championship game beat down with our 66-7 beat down at the hands of FCS  Portland State.   Like I said you sound like way more of a TCU hater/ SMU fan  than a Mean Green fan with a firm grasp on reality.  So let me get this straight our team's worse moment came at home against a FCS team, TCU's worse moment came against an undefeated National Champion Georgia team from the undisputed best conference in FBS loaded with NFL talent and citing this disparity makes me a closet TCU fan?   This just doesn't add up for me. 🤨

So, what is your point? 

Mine: that loss is terribly embarrassing and will resonate for a really long time. 

Yours: .....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/10/2023 at 12:17 AM, GrandGreen said:

People railed on Littrell for losing bowl games despite having descent seasons.

Now a completely embarrassing performance by TCU gets a lot of great to just get to play in the game praise from some NT fans.

Obviously, playing for a national championship is a major accomplishment, as was beating Michigan.

Not trying to compare NT to TCU football, because there is no doubt; TCU would beat NT as bad as they got beat by Georgia.

However, NT fared much better than TCU in the Frisco Bowl playing almost even ball with Boise State.  I didn't see much sympathy for Littrell for what had to be a much better coaching job than TCU had tonight. 

NT was embarrassed in 6 out of 6 bowl games, some to inferior teams. Not even remotely a good comparison. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenPatriot said:

NT was embarrassed in 6 out of 6 bowl games, some to inferior teams. Not even remotely a good comparison. 

I think you are making my point   NT lost to inferior teams, it appears to me that they fell to better teams.  

Those not remotely comparable loses were by:

Boise St 3 points

Miami Ohio 13 points

App St  28 points

Utah St.  39 points  Fine was injured first of game

Troy 29

Army 7 in overtime game.

You are right, none are comparable to the GA over TCU debacle.   I don't think there was a running clock involved in any of those loses.  

• Eye Roll 1

Last year's title game drew 22.5M.  All time best rated CFP title game was 2015 at 25.3M.

Big12/TCU has plenty of drawing power.  Just need the team to be competitive to keep them tuned in.

Viewership for this playoff format has been in near constant decline since the 2015 high.  When the same teams make it every year it hurts the appeal across the nation.  The move to 12 teams should help so long as they improve the regional representation and don't continue to concentrate too many teams from just 1-2 conferences.

• Upvote 1