WVU

ryanraider

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

I also don't necessarily think Coach Mac is waiting on Baylor, because if he is he may never go.  Drew isn't that much older than he is.

Doesn't he have like 40 family members in the metroplex? Let's see what else around here opens up this year, though I dont count on much. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, dml7007 said:

I think grant maybe staying around till Baylor opens up.  I could be wrong but just a hunch. 

5 hours ago, CMJ said:

I also don't necessarily think Coach Mac is waiting on Baylor, because if he is he may never go.  Drew isn't that much older than he is.

I was make this same point. Drew is 52 and Mac is 46. Drew isn't going anywhere save for a scandal a-la Art Briles. I'd put good money on Mac taking a major program job like WVU if offered. That said, the offer would have to be pretty decent money-wise to move to West Virginia. 

20 hours ago, dml7007 said:

I think grant maybe staying around till Baylor opens up.  I could be wrong but just a hunch. 

It's not a hunch. I grew up a few doors down from the McCaslands and have talked to his brother within the last few years. He's been offered by bigger programs in the last few years and he really wants to stay in Texas. Baylor is the goal but that probably won't happen for a while and he is content with that. His whole family lives within 20 minutes and that is what is most important to him at this point.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Scott Drew is probably at the top of the wish list for the Texas Longhorns.

I thought so as well, but then I read an article and Drew was never mentioned.  The first name I heard they were approaching was Calapari.  Would be shocked if he left Kentucky, but you never know.  I also heard Kelvin Sampson.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought so as well, but then I read an article and Drew was never mentioned.  The first name I heard they were approaching was Calapari.  Would be shocked if he left Kentucky, but you never know.  I also heard Kelvin Sampson.

If you think about it, why would UT not pursue Drew?

• Upvote 1

I'm more confused by why would Drew leave Baylor?  Texas is not a basketball destination job.  Calipari makes more sense because the fans in Lexington are getting restless he hasn't won anything big in a few years.  

At Baylor Drew has it rolling and he's already a legend there.  Probably could stay there another 20 years.

• Upvote 2

I think UT makes a lot of sense for Scott Drew, actually. If the salary estimates of $3.5 million I'm seeing online are accurate, they could offer him a big raise and it's not a rebuild so he can come in and have immediate success. In regards to NIL money, not many can compete with U Texas. If Drew had Baylor ties it'd be one thing but he doesn't (that I can find). When there's no personal ties, money talks.

I'd be more worried about TCU opening up as far as Mac leaving to go anywhere.  You can get to TCU in ~35 min from Argyle.  SMU is closer to 55, and can get really out of hand in traffic.

In all honesty, I think that job makes even more sense than Baylor for Mac.  Baylor has won a natty and is routinely pulling in top rated players.  Mac would be like Tony Bennett in a power conference---he's recruiting a lower rated kid, but one that plays defense above all else.  That philosophy would work at TCU where they have never been any good at basketball (until right now).  I thought I heard that Dixon may be on his way to retirement after this year, as well....or in the next couple years.

That or he stays here for a long time.  It'll be interesting to see how well we do in AAC, a much better bball conference even with UH and UC leaving.  We need to see a legit rise in attendance and get back to where we were at the end of JJ's tenure at the very least---and then hopefully add another 1k to the average (we avg'd 4.5k the last couple of JJ years) with most conference games drawing closer to 7-8k.  You could see a potential for a sellout when Memphis comes to town and maybe a couple others depending on how the records look at the time.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think UT makes a lot of sense for Scott Drew, actually. If the salary estimates of $3.5 million I'm seeing online are accurate, they could offer him a big raise and it's not a rebuild so he can come in and have immediate success. In regards to NIL money, not many can compete with U Texas. If Drew had Baylor ties it'd be one thing but he doesn't (that I can find). When there's no personal ties, money talks.

If this was in the first ten or so years he'd been there maybe, but it's been nearly 20 full years since he's been at Baylor.  That place is his now.  

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm more confused by why would Drew leave Baylor?  Texas is not a basketball destination job. 

This is probably wild to you, but I still cannot wrap my mind around Baylor being a bball school, either.  Still!

All your points are valid.  If UT were to go after Drew, IMO It boils down to 1) How much is UT willing to offer, and 2) How much does Waco mean to Drew?

• Upvote 1