Ok this is a fun thread. I'd be curious- what are everyone's top 5 Denton restaurants from the time they were there (when I was there, there was no LSA Burger, or similar)

For reference, I was there from 06-10

1. Central Grill - always saw a lot of school spirit there too

2. NY Sub Hub

3. Old West Cafe

4. Beth Maries 

5. Tie between Chicken E/ Tomato/ and RipRocks sandwiches (probably gross now, but great as a college kid) 

El Guapo was another one.... I know folks have mixed reviews @Jason Howeth

Edited by meanJewGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

Ok this is a fun thread. I'd be curious- what are everyone's top 5 Denton restaurants from the time they were there (when I was there, there was no LSA Burger, or similar)

2. NY Sub Hub

3. Old West Cafe

4. Beth Maries 

5. Tie between Chicken E/ Tomato/ and RipRocks sandwiches (probably gross now, but great as a college kid) 

What is the best Kosher restaurant in Denton?

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

What is the best Kosher restaurant in Denton?

Wouldn’t know. One time during Passover me and my buddy had crooked crust make us matzah pizza (we provided the matzah) so that was cool

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

2. NY Sub Hub

3. Old West Cafe

4. Beth Maries 

1. Sweetwater Grill

2. Feras

3. Beth Marie's

4. The Flying Tomato

5. Cantina del Sol (changed the name midway through my era at UNT, can't remember original name...same menu from what I remember though)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

2. NY Sub Hub

3. Old West Cafe

4. Beth Maries 

I was so bummed when the original owners of Central Grill sold out.  They were the first place I had been that would serve you a chicken sandwich or strips in all the same flavors as their wings.  Great burgers too. 

02-08 

1. Central Grill

2. El Pariente

3. Wienerschnitzel (only on $.25 hotdog Wednesday) 

4. The Tomato 

5. the Coffee Shop/Bank that used to be on the corner of Fry/Oak

6. Ponchos 

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, UNTLifer said:

Just spit my coffee out.

Speaking of "spit out" did someone really put Pancho's?

Ah come on, the food may not have always been top notch but it was good enough, unlimited, and an experience even after you left. Everybody wanted to “raise the flag” from time to time.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/9/2023 at 6:39 PM, Quoner said:

Mr Goodcents - it was so insanely cheap. Greenhouse also still brings it and Mr. Chopsticks has had a sad decline the last decade or so. 

I ate at Goodcents, Chopsticks, the Tomato, Sukkho Thai,  Mazatlan, Metzlers, and a number of other places. Had prob the most meals at Cool Beans or Riprocks. 
What I find interesting about this thread is that most of the places we find “iconic” for UNT don’t exist any longer; therefore, by definition they are not iconic. I would say Rooster’s or something like that would likely hold that title. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I ate at Goodcents, Chopsticks, the Tomato, Sukkho Thai,  Mazatlan, Metzlers, and a number of other places. Had prob the most meals at Cool Beans or Riprocks. 
What I find interesting about this thread is that most of the places we find “iconic” for UNT don’t exist any longer; therefore, by definition they are not iconic. I would say Rooster’s or something like that would likely hold that title. 

Living here now a few decades later after moving around Texas and other parts of the country frames it differently. Denton has never had a better food and drink scene and while I love my nostalgia and ways to activate it, I’m also happy I can easily have the best Italian meal I’ve ever had in DFW (Osteria il Muro), a ton of great drink options (the John Williams trilogy of bars, Harvest House, Paschal’s and others) and a lot of other stuff that puts many of our college favorites to shame. The future is now!

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, 97and03 said:

What I find interesting about this thread is that most of the places we find “iconic” for UNT don’t exist any longer; therefore, by definition they are not iconic. 

David Crosby doesn't exist anymore but he's still iconic.  Same with the Tomato and Texas Pickup IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2