1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I love the other two but I am not familiar with Texas Pickup. Has it been around long or closed?

Well, it opened before 1979, and closed well after 1983... @UNTLiferlikely knows more.

They had the BEST chicken fried steak.

One website still lists it -LOL: 

https://www.activediner.com/texas-pickup-cafe/restaurant/denton/tx/us/map/319450

• Thanks 2

I just saw many are posting New York Subway while I was thinking of New York Sub Hub. I love Sub Hub but never tried NY Subway. I saw one the last time I was in Denton eating at Burger Time Machine but never made it there to eat. Any thoughts on NY Sub Hub vs NY Subway?

11 hours ago, Stix said:

Well, it opened before 1979, and closed well after 1983... @UNTLiferlikely knows more.

They had the BEST chicken fried steak.

One website still lists it -LOL: 

https://www.activediner.com/texas-pickup-cafe/restaurant/denton/tx/us/map/319450

Burned down.  Great CFS, nachos, etc.  It was our go to place after playing intramurals.  Was on the corner of Prairie and what is now North Texas Blvd. in a little strip center that also housed West Prairie St. Pub.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Any thoughts on NY Sub Hub vs NY Subway?

they're the same. changed to Sub Hub maybe around '04 or so if memory serves...always heard it was due to the national chain Subway butting in, but don't know for certain. 

Their shop on Avenue C was the cornerstone of my diet for all 5 years of my time in Denton. 

I worked at Hooya for pretty much whole college career, so that also kept me rather full. 

Some sleepers...I forget the name, but there was a sandwich shop directly across the street from NY Sub...they had some Turkey Tuesday deal, like maybe a full sub for $5 or so that I'd definitely cheat on NY Sub for. Mr. Chopsticks and Oriental Garden were sneaky favorites. Sweetwater's was a standard for chill dates, Greenhouse when you were actually trying to impress. 

• Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

they're the same. changed to Sub Hub maybe around '04 or so if memory serves...always heard it was due to the national chain Subway butting in, but don't know for certain. 

Their shop on Avenue C was the cornerstone of my diet for all 5 years of my time in Denton. 

I worked at Hooya for pretty much whole college career, so that also kept me rather full. 

Some sleepers...I forget the name, but there was a sandwich shop directly across the street from NY Sub...they had some Turkey Tuesday deal, like maybe a full sub for $5 or so that I'd definitely cheat on NY Sub for. Mr. Chopsticks and Oriental Garden were sneaky favorites. Sweetwater's was a standard for chill dates, Greenhouse when you were actually trying to impress. 

Yea, I try to hit all stops at Sub Hub on Avenue C every time I come to Denton.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Burned down.  Great CFS, nachos, etc.  It was our go to place after playing intramurals.  Was on the corner of Prairie and what is now North Texas Blvd. in a little strip center that also housed West Prairie St. Pub.

Loved the Prairie St Pub.  Upped my dart game there.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Mr Goodcents - it was so insanely cheap. Greenhouse also still brings it and Mr. Chopsticks has had a sad decline the last decade or so. 

• Lovely Take 1