WBB Back in Form Against MTSU

UNTLifer

NT has injuries, but I really don't think that is why Mitchell starts and give a lot of minutes to their two worse shooters. 

McGruder went 0-5 today and is only shooting 32% for the year

Moore went 1-7 today and is only shooting 29% for the year.

They are both shoot first guards despite they are very bad at it. 

I really think this is affecting the whole team's mentally into shoot the ball if you can because getting passed to is too infrequent.   

Defense is just a place to rest until you get to shoot again. 

This team has some talent and I think it is being largely wasted.  Noble, Lamkin and Johnson; all have talent.  Hardaway has shown flashes, and I like Carter's play.  

I think this could and should be Mitchell's last year at NT, unless she can turn this season around.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Time to start thinking about a new coach?

It’s really tricky.  She’s an alumnus.  She’s in the Hall of Fame and perhaps the leading scorer in history.  But she absolutely needs to be fired and we should immediately get on the phone with Karen Aston at UTSA.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1

13 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

It’s really tricky.  She’s an alumnus.  She’s in the Hall of Fame and perhaps the leading scorer in history.  But she absolutely needs to be fired and we should immediately get on the phone with Karen Aston at UTSA.

That doesn't make it tricky at all. In large part, that's why she was probably given the job in the first place. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That doesn't make it tricky at all. In large part, that's why she was probably given the job in the first place. 

Agreed. Meet behind closed doors, she “agrees” to step down for the betterment of the program and is given a position in the AD. She looks good and we get a new coach. 

• Upvote 1

How quickly we forget.

She took the program when it was terrible.  She built it steadily until we had only our 4th and 5th postseason appearances.  She made it to the finals of the WCBI and hosted a WNIT.  However, we were a Sr heavy team last year.

This team is young and experienced some growing pains.  I would say give her another year.

Some of you seem to have no idea how hard it is to overcome the perception that NT is the place you go when nobody else offers.  We have been that in Women's basketball for most of the time we have had the sport.  She has changed that.  I am willing to give this another year.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, UNT86 said:

How quickly we forget.

She took the program when it was terrible.  She built it steadily until we had only our 4th and 5th postseason appearances.  She made it to the finals of the WCBI and hosted a WNIT.  However, we were a Sr heavy team last year.

This team is young and experienced some growing pains.  I would say give her another year.

Some of you seem to have no idea how hard it is to overcome the perception that NT is the place you go when nobody else offers.  We have been that in Women's basketball for most of the time we have had the sport.  She has changed that.  I am willing to give this another year.

Strange argument that the perception of NT sports is a problem for a coach that is largely responsible for the perception.

NT is going through a bad year in WBB thus far, following up seasons of:

21-22, 17-13 10-7

20-21, 13-7 10-4

19-20, 12-19 6-12

The overall record is not that bad; but I just see a lot of peculiar moves by the coach.   Both in player selection and tactics. Again; there appears to be minimum effort on defense.  The offense is not focused on getting shots by the best offensive players.  The biggest issue is the lack of a true point guard to run the offense. 

The pivottable question to me is how this team looks at the end of the season.  Can they challenge next year or are they on a downward arc.  

The new AD has a decision to make.  For the record I think all NT fans want Mitchell to get back on a successful track.