Best All-Time Transfer to North Texas?

Caw Caw

I love Trice and think he should be on our coaching staff but as good as he was in 2013, he really struggled in 2012. So I am not willing to name him king transfer based on one year.

Our luck with transfer seems to have been unreasonably bad in general, but we had a few recent good ones in addition to Trice that have been mentioned already. Unfortunately seems to be a longer list of busts, non-factors, or just not quite meeting expectations. 

• Oh Boy! 1

On 1/10/2023 at 12:37 PM, 97and03 said:

I love Trice and think he should be on our coaching staff but as good as he was in 2013, he really struggled in 2012. So I am not willing to name him king transfer based on one year.

Our luck with transfer seems to have been unreasonably bad in general, but we had a few recent good ones in addition to Trice that have been mentioned already. Unfortunately seems to be a longer list of busts, non-factors, or just not quite meeting expectations. 

I don’t recall him struggling. I don’t remember anything especially negative from him that season and he had a pretty good stat line.

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t recall him struggling. I don’t remember anything especially negative from him that season and he had a pretty good stat line.

"Struggled" might be a strong word, but he wasn't an immediate impact guy, either.  He looked a little lost out there at times.  I remember him getting beat in coverage more than he should have.  The more I think about it, "struggled" describes it pretty well.  Should he ever make the HOF, it will be solely on the basis of the 2013 season.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Hamilton was before my time, so I can only look at paper stats.  Nothing about Hamilton's career stands out to me as anything better than Mitchell's.

Was just asking.

Mitchell was probably the greatest athletic talent to attend NT, but was far from the greatest player based on what he accomplished.  

One thing to also keep in mind is NT played in arguably the best basketball conference in the nation when Hamilton played. 

From Official UNT athletics site

In just two seasons with the Eagles basketball team, Joe Hamilton was a two-time all-Missouri Valley Conference pick who still ranks among the school's all-time career scoring leaders.

Hamilton, a 5-foot-10 guard, wa a Junior College All-American before arriving in Denton. At North Texas, he averaged 21.4 points per game for his career. He his 81.6 percent of his career free throws.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

From Official UNT athletics site

In just two seasons with the Eagles basketball team, Joe Hamilton was a two-time all-Missouri Valley Conference pick who still ranks among the school's all-time career scoring leaders.

Hamilton, a 5-foot-10 guard, wa a Junior College All-American before arriving in Denton. At North Texas, he averaged 21.4 points per game for his career. He his 81.6 percent of his career free throws.

Here's Mitchell's bio.  Unfortunately, I missed the MVC era and all that great bball, but I still have a hard time believing that trumps what Mitchell brought to the table.

2013 NBA Draft
Became the highest NBA Draft pick in North Texas history when he was Selected No. 37 overall (7th pick of the 2nd round) by the Detroit Pistons ... Was the 15th NBA Draft pick in North Texas history, but the first since John Horrocks in 1984 ... Joins Lee Winfield (1969 NBA Draft pick) as the only North Texas products to see playing time in an NBA game ... Saw action in 21 games for the Piston in 2013-14, scoring 1.0 points per game on 41.7 percent shooting ... Also tallied 1.2 rebounds per game, and hit his lone 3-point attempt on the year.

North Texas 2012-13
Broke his own North Texas single season blocks record (87), as well as the career blocks record (157) in 2012-13 ... Second-Team All-Sun Belt Conference (2nd career All-SBC award) ... Recorded his 42nd career double-digit scoring game and his 20th career double-double in the opening round of the Sun Belt Tournament against Louisiana-Lafayette ... Posted 10 double-doubles on the year, including a season-best 29 points, 15 rebounds against Troy ... Preseason All-American (ESPN, CBS Sports, Basketball Times, Athlon, Blue Ribbon Report) ... John Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 player ... Featured on the Oct. cover of Basketball Times Magazine ... Lindy's No. 2 ranked center in college basketball ... CBS Sports No. 7 rated player in the country.

North Texas 2011-12
Invited to the LeBron James Skills Academy (1 of 20 college intites) ... Standout at the prestigous Amar'e Stoudemire Skills Academy (1 of 14 college big men) ... Lou Henson Award Finalist (Mid-Major Player of the Year) ... Only the third player in league history to earn Sun Belt Freshman of the Year and First-Team All-SBC in same season ... All-Sun Belt Tournament team ... One of only two freshmen in the NCAA to average a double-double (14.7 PGG, 10.3 RPG), joining Kentucky's Anthony Davis ... First freshman with multiple 30+ point/15+ rebound games since Micheal Beasley (Kansas State, 2007-08) ... 10.3 rebounds per game average ranked second among freshman nationally (Anthony Davis, Kentucky - 10.4) ... In league-only games, Mitchell led the Sun Belt in scoring (15.9 PPG), rebounding (11.8 RPG), 3-point percentage (47.1), blocks (3.1 BPG), and was also second in field goal percentage (58.1) Listed by CBS Sports as the nation's No. 3 'Under the Radar Player' and among the 'Top 10 Freshmen in the Country' ... Set the NT single-season blocks record (70), and blocks per game record (3.04) ... Posted 22 points and 21 rebounds against Florida Atlantic, which tied for the ninth most rebounds in the NCAA last year, and is one of six 21+ rebound/20+ point games in 2011-12 ... 10 double-doubles ranked second in the SBC ... Second player in league history to earn three straight SBC Player of the Week awards ... Top scoring (34 points) and rebounding (21 rebounds) performances in SBC this year.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Here's Mitchell's bio.  Unfortunately, I missed the MVC era and all that great bball, but I still have a hard time believing that trumps what Mitchell brought to the table.

About impossible to compare two players in very different positions, center vs point guard; eras, and much different competition levels. 

Hamilton did average 19.5 pts per game versus Mitchell's 13.7 at NT.  

I think Hamilton was definitely better than Mitchell at NT.  However, neither was IMO the GOAT I've seen at NT.  That honor goes to Kenneth Lyons primarily because he played for four years compared to two for Hamilton and Mitchell.   

Perry should also be in the conversation after his college career ends. 

Edited by GrandGreen

12 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

About impossible to compare two players in very different positions, center vs point guard; eras, and much different competition levels. 

Hamilton did average 19.5 pts per game versus Mitchell's 13.7 at NT.  

I think Hamilton was definitely better than Mitchell at NT.  However, neither was IMO the GOAT I've seen at NT.  That honor goes to Kenneth Lyons primarily because he played for four years compared to two for Hamilton and Mitchell.   

Perry should also be in the conversation after his college career ends. 

I also think Mitchell's career was torpedoed by Benford, the man had a loaded roster and couldn't figure out how to beat a D-2 team

"in over his head" barely scratches the surface on Benford. I remember getting to the first home game and was flabbergasted by how badly the team had regressed from the previous season.

9 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Riley Dodge because of his position and skill.

I think there is a general understanding that transfer means they were actually enrolled at another school.  This is the 2x this idea has come up in this thread.  Some clarification: a kid that verbal'd elsewhere before committing to us is not a transfer. 

With Riley, I don't even think he verbal'd to UT.  I think he was offered a schollie to be an athlete/non-QB, but he never even verbal'd there.

• Upvote 1