Breaking: KD Davis Tore ACL During Frisco Bowl

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

https://twitter.com/kddthe1/status/1611438030581075970?s=46&t=iO09F-vNJC_-An51YbxvxA

consider this when you complain about kids skipping bowls moving forward. Praying for a quick recovery KD

I hate this for KD and hope that many will reach out to help the young man. I did my best to support before the season which is why I have 3 KD “Shark” tshirts in my home.

As far as playing in bowl games goes, if the games are so meaningless that risk of injury makes it not worth playing, then teams should either not have the game at all or they should sit everyone but the walkons and scholarship seniors that choose to play so as not to damage their future seasons.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

https://twitter.com/kddthe1/status/1611438030581075970?s=46&t=iO09F-vNJC_-An51YbxvxA

consider this when you complain about kids skipping bowls moving forward. Praying for a quick recovery KD

Such a shit argument. 

Not play for a lousy bowl trophy. 

Why play Dec 2nd for a lousy, downwards spiraling conference trophy? 

Why play on Nov. 12 vs UAB? 

Why play vs TX So or FIU? We didn't need hin out there vs those opponents. 

Why play his last year with draft hopes? He has more than enough tape. 

Why, why, why? 

Why do anything that presents the slightest percentage of risk at all? 

No one could've forseen this. It's unfortunate, and I hate it for him. But to negate 1 game after 13 is buffoonry. Finish the job and get to the finish line. I respect him for it then and I respect him for it now. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 9
  • Puking Eagle 2

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Such a shit argument. 

Not play for a lousy bowl trophy. 

Why play Dec 2nd for a lousy, downwards spiraling conference trophy? 

Why play on Nov. 12 vs UAB? 

Why play vs TX So or FIU? We didn't need hin out there vs those opponents. 

Why play his last year with draft hopes? He has more than enough tape. 

Why, why, why? 

Why do anything that presents the slightest percentage of risk at all? 

No one could've forseen this. It's unfortunate, and I hate it for him. But to negate 1 game after 13 is buffoonry. Finish the job and get to the finish line. I respect him for it then and I respect him for it now. 

Never said anyone could for see it. If a kid want to play let them. If they choose not to let them have their choice. KD could have just cost himself hundred of thousands of dollars. But if had opted out he would have been burn at the stakes. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Never said anyone could for see it. If a kid want to play let them. If they choose not to let them have their choice. KD could have just cost himself hundred of thousands of dollars. But if had opted out he would have been burn at the stakes. 

Money comes and goes. I'm sure, with today's medicine, he'll be back quick. Lots of players are. 

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's a poor argument.   
There's a gigantic chasm in the amount of money stood to lose by the guys who are going to declare for the draft VS some random sophomore contributor who is coming back to the same university next season.
Fewer than 2% of all D1 football players go pro.   

You are looking at it purely through a NFL lens. I am looking at it from the perspective of what are you trying to prevent the risk of? Injuries.

My point is, why sit out only the bowl game? Why not skip the season like Clowney? If only that one game is worthless then why risk injury to a starting junior running back or starting sophomore tight end who you expect back next season when you can sit them to make sure you have them for spring ball and next fall’s games that matter? If bowl games are so meaningless, why did Littrell’s 0-6 bowl record matter?

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Now, with a torn ACL …., he can't go to the combine, 

Jeff Wilson was able to go to the combine with his foot injury and do the interviews, measurements, and upper body stuff.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You are looking at it purely through a NFL lens. I am looking at it from the perspective of what are you trying to prevent the risk of? Injuries.

My point is, why sit out only the bowl game? Why not skip the season like Clowney? If only that one game is worthless then why risk injury to a starting junior running back or starting sophomore tight end who you expect back next season when you can sit them to make sure you have them for spring ball and next fall’s games that matter? If bowl games are so meaningless, why did Littrell’s 0-6 bowl record matter?

Jeff Wilson was able to go to the combine with his foot injury and do the interviews, measurements, and upper body stuff.

I think a guy like Clowney had already punched his ticket to the NFL.   KD still had more to prove.  He’s a G5 guy, and he’s not a slam dunk high-round pick.   He chose to play to put more on his resume tape.  He got burned.

I think @UNTLifermade a “thank you” thread for him, but I’m too lazy to go look up how many people actually gave him props for playing that game.   Was it worth the guaranteed money that a 3rd day draft pick would get?  (We’re talking millions of dollars over the term of their deal!)   That’s something only KD knows.

Now, if a guy like Ragsdale randomly sat out even though he is coming back next season, like some people seem to be comparing KDs situation to… then by all means, skewer him!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think a guy like Clowney had already punched his ticket to the NFL.   KD still had more to prove.  He’s a G5 guy, and he’s not a slam dunk high-round pick.   He chose to play to put more on his resume tape.  He got burned.

I think @UNTLifermade a “thank you” thread for him, but I’m too lazy to go look up how many people actually gave him props for playing that game.   Was it worth the guaranteed money that a 3rd day draft pick would get?  (We’re talking millions of dollars over the term of their deal!)   That’s something only KD knows.

Now, if a guy like Ragsdale randomly sat out even though he is coming back next season, like some people seem to be comparing KDs situation to… then by all means, skewer him!

Nobody knows if he was a 3rd day pick but the NFL teams that would have selected him there, not even KD. Only they know if he was a draft pick before the bowl and after. Only they know if playing against Boise in the bowl game helped or hurt his draft stock. I imagine scouts would’ve encouraged him to play because more data is always better for their evaluations.

DeAndre Torrey sat out the bowl game last year and didn’t get drafted. Would putting up 150+ on Miami (OH) have gotten him on a draft board? Probably not but like KD, only he knows if it was worth it to skip as KD will have his opinion on if it was worth it to play. Based on the wording of his tweet, it seems he has no regrets.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Finish the job and get to the finish line. I respect him for it then and I respect him for it now. 

Wonder how that “respect” is going to help him pay his bills?  And NIL (which he received very little) is now at its end for him.   You used the word job.   Well how much was his Frisco Bowl bonus/paycheck?   We saw someone almost die on a NFL field getting payed well over 500k this year.  The fact is very few people want to watch these exhibition games between mediocre teams.   And it makes no sense for player that is finishing his college career to put himself at risk unless he wants to.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

53 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Wonder how that “respect” is going to help him pay his bills?  And NIL (which he received very little) is now at its end for him.   You used the word job.   Well how much was his Frisco Bowl bonus/paycheck?   We saw someone almost die on a NFL field getting payed well over 500k this year.  The fact is very few people want to watch these exhibition games between mediocre teams.   And it makes no sense for player that is finishing his college career to put himself at risk unless he wants to.

KD has been 1 of my favorite players of the SL era. Mr. Reliable of there ever was. He did a phenomenal job for himself and for the University. Matter of fact, maybe one of my all time favorite players. I stack him right up there with ZO. 

With all of that said, he was going to be an UDFA. And guess what, he's still going to be an UDFA. 

And, AGAIN, the timing of his injury just so happens to meet your criteria to pigeonhole this into your narrative. It could have happened at any moment throughout the hundreds of snaps he played. It could have happened at any moment in the thousands of practice snaps. It's a part of it. See it for what it is. 

And I glossed over you using Damar Hamlin as a puppet for your argument on a previous thread. But, it's downright trashy for you to do such. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I obviously hate that KD was injured, but I don’t feel any worse than if he’d have been hurt in any of the previous 13 games.  His team had a game that they earned the right to play in and he was suited up along side his teammates just as he’d been for the previous 13 games.  Good for him.  I hope he makes a full recovery and gets a shot in the NFL.

On another note, I wish Oscar would have sat out the WKU game.

• Upvote 3

If KD doesn't get a camp invite, the XFL and USFL would take him. He could get some film, and maybe signed to an NFL team. Craig Robertson was not drafted. If I remember correctly he sat a year out and then the Browns gave him a try out. He had a pretty decent career in the NFL.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I love KD like everyone here, but he isn’t big enough to play LB in a pro league and doesn’t have the speed and coverage ability to play S. I will be pleasantly surprised if I see him play at the next level. 

I’m sorry @UNTLifer and all due respect but just because he isn’t a high round NFL draft choice diesnt mean the coaches and fans like yourself should have pressured him to play in a meaningless bowl game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I’m sorry @UNTLifer and all due respect but just because he isn’t a high round NFL draft choice diesnt mean the coaches and fans like yourself should have pressured him to play in a meaningless bowl game.

Nobody pressure him, at least I didn’t. I also didn’t say he wouldn’t be a high round draft pick. I don’t think he will get selected at all. I was just commenting on the fact that some folks on here think he will get picked. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

KD has been 1 of my favorite players of the SL era. Mr. Reliable of there ever was. He did a phenomenal job for himself and for the University. Matter of fact, maybe one of my all time favorite players. I stack him right up there with ZO. 

With all of that said, he was going to be an UDFA. And guess what, he's still going to be an UDFA. 

And, AGAIN, the timing of his injury just so happens to meet your criteria to pigeonhole this into your narrative. It could have happened at any moment throughout the hundreds of snaps he played. It could have happened at any moment in the thousands of practice snaps. It's a part of it. See it for what it is. 

And I glossed over you using Damar Hamlin as a puppet for your argument on a previous thread. But, it's downright trashy for you to do such. 

And now he'll be a UDFA fighting for a roster spot 7ish months after tearing his ACL.

Y'all are really missing the point that these late injuries greatly affect these day 3/UDFA prospects chances of latching on with a team at all, effectively marking an end to their playing careers. Even highly ranked prospects drop significantly in stock following a bad injury. Jaylon Smith comes to mind as he was a top 5 prospect on most mock drafts, destroyed his knee playing a meaningless bowl game, and fell to the second round which affected his contract length and value. Lower rated prospects don't get that big hype to fall back on. A meaningless bowl game at the end of their college career isn't worth the risk if they get hurt.

Yes, injuries can happen any time. That doesn't mean they should be expected to take unnecessary risk playing an exhibition after the season is over if they're not coming back the following season.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

33 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

And now he'll be a UDFA fighting for a roster spot 7ish months after tearing his ACL.

Y'all are really missing the point that these late injuries greatly affect these day 3/UDFA prospects chances of latching on with a team at all, effectively marking an end to their playing careers. Even highly ranked prospects drop significantly in stock following a bad injury. Jaylon Smith comes to mind as he was a top 5 prospect on most mock drafts, destroyed his knee playing a meaningless bowl game, and fell to the second round which affected his contract length and value. Lower rated prospects don't get that big hype to fall back on. A meaningless bowl game at the end of their college career isn't worth the risk if they get hurt.

Yes, injuries can happen any time. That doesn't mean they should be expected to take unnecessary risk playing an exhibition after the season is over if they're not coming back the following season.

Agree to disagree. Simple is that. 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

As far as playing in bowl games goes, if the games are so meaningless that risk of injury makes it not worth playing, then teams should either not have the game at all or they should sit everyone but the walkons and scholarship seniors that choose to play so as not to damage their future seasons.

I don't think anyone involved in the team thinks a bowl game is meaningless -- even the players who skip them. They put their bodies on the line all season and would want to win a game that ends their season on a high note. Even if it's a lower-tier bowl, it's still one of the big moments in their short athletic careers.

Davis probably lost his chance at being drafted, and that sucks, but he will be remembered by fans for giving the Mean Green everything he had -- including in a final game that he could have skipped. Hopefully he'll recover and choose a team to sign with after the draft that's a good fit for his talent.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

Just go back and watch his effort in that game…especially late fourth quarter, and on the play he got hurt on.  KD was going all out trying to win that game.  However meaningless the game is to you, it clearly mattered to him.  Not everything is about money.

The original post wasn't about KD and his bowl game specifically (other than the injury) but about people complaining about players who sit out bowl games to avoid injury. Every player makes their own choice for what matters to them. KD made his and got hurt but that was his choice to play. If a player chooses to sit for those reasons, fans shouldn't be so quick to sh*t on them. That is where the problem lies. We cheer those who play and destroy those who don't despite them giving UNT years of tough play prior to that one final bowl game. It ain't right.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The original post wasn't about KD specifically (other than the injury) but in general about players who sit out bowl games to prevent injury. Every player makes their own choice for what matters to them. KD made his and got hurt but that was his choice to play. If a player chooses to sit for those reasons, fans shouldn't be so quick to sh*t on them. That is where the problem lies. We cheer those who play and destroy those who don't despite them giving UNT years of tough play prior to that one final bowl game. It ain't right.

So it's okay for you to have your opinion and tell people how they should respond, but but not okay for them to have their opinions? Sure this is not a news flash, but people are going to have different opinions? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1