Traditions We Need - Old and New

tmjerm

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

* Pick an entrance song people know and stick with it.  Loved the "Thunderstruck" intro we used during the Dickey years.  Make it a tradition similar to Va Tech and Enter Sandman.  Lights going crazy, fireworks, etc...

Always thought "A Certain Shade of Green" was an obvious choice

• The title has a clear connection to our nickname
  • The song overall has a good energy
  • The Intro has a clear impact moment for the team to take the field
  • The crowd joining to yell "a certain shade of green" together would be cool
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Hate to break it to you but the kids love the uni combos, especially the all black look we used this year. 

Understand, but one of the great and special things about traditions is you are putting the school and the team first. Traditions are still around when those same players move on. It pisses me off when its mentioned how schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, etc. have the same uniforms, but then people will say "we're not them". Time for us to start acting like we belong.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Understand, but one of the great and special things about traditions is you are putting the school and the team first. Traditions are still around when those same players move on. It pisses me off when its mentioned how schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, etc. have the same uniforms, but then people will say "we're not them". Time for us to start acting like we belong.

I would agree we need to normalize the green and white unis year over year. They’ve been changed up every other year since the 00s. But having a cool alt and throwbacks are important. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I would agree we need to normalize the green and white unis year over year. They’ve been changed up every other year since the 00s. But having a cool alt and throwbacks are important. 

If were going to have them make it once or twice a year in games, or on occasions that are important. If you use them all of the time the cease to be special.

• Upvote 4

We need to do something to create a better entrance structure instead of the wide open gate in front of the Eagle. Our guys just standing there out on the open takes the buzz out of an intro. It would be cool if we could replicate the conference championship entrance. The conference actually threw us a bone on that one.  

• Upvote 2

I propose that UNT host a Flag raising night to start off the Fall sports season. Have a collection of athletes from the teams that play fall sports carry the battle flag to its place near 35 and assist in raising it, while the band plays and the cheerleaders lead the fans in the yelling the North Texas Chant. The same thing would occur for the spring sports athletes, but they would be taking down the Battle Flag after all the seasons have finished. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

How bout lighting the tower for away game wins?  That would be cool.

Rick

Get 2-3 guys in on this that can light the tower.  Make one the primary, then 1 or 2 backups when he cannot do it.  In this age of communication, it's not hard to let people know it needs to be done.

Is that hard? I suppose so, since the people that can make this happen choose...to not make it happen.

• Thanks 1

Have the player’s, or a family representative, who’s numbers have been retired, to offer back to the team that number to be worn by an outstanding current player at that position.

We should assume we will continue to have outstanding players in all positions therefore, there should be no need to retire any number.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

Always thought "A Certain Shade of Green" was an obvious choice

• The title has a clear connection to our nickname
  • The song overall has a good energy
  • The Intro has a clear impact moment for the team to take the field
  • The crowd joining to yell "a certain shade of green" together would be cool

I did not expect to come to GMG today and see a link to an early incubus track. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

Get 2-3 guys in on this that can light the tower.  Make one the primary, then 1 or 2 backups when he cannot do it.  In this age of communication, it's not hard to let people know it needs to be done.

Is that hard? I suppose so, since the people that can make this happen choose...to not make it happen.

The problem seemed to be that Student Services or some other group complained to Talons about the lights being turned on so often that nobody knew who they were for.  So they were asked/told to only do it for Home games.

Which sounded pretty typical for UNT.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, CMJ said:

The problem seemed to be that Student Services or some other group complained to Talons about the lights being turned on so often that nobody knew who they were for.  So they were asked/told to only do it for Home games.

Which sounded pretty typical for UNT.

ugh

28 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Maybe we should let the kids pick the dinner menu as well.

Day 17-20, Dandelion Salad and Candy Dinner | An American Family's  Food-Buying Freeze

This is completely missing the point. As much as you want us to be, we are not Alabama, Texas, USC, etc. Our uniforms hold no weight in the historical context of college football. It’s just true. Uniform variety is a positive for a school like us. As I said in a previous post, we should have stability and have a primary home/away uni. But this constant grunt of “it’s cheer for the green and white!” is fruitless bc at the end of the day, you’re not the one wearing it. So why do you care so much. If the players like it, I like it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, northtexassigep said:

The best entrances in college football usually having a giant flag at the front leading the team out. I think our N O R T H T E X A S is wayy too much. I think a huge battle flag leading the boys out would be way better. That and a slightly smaller SOW right behind it.

D064DD5A-A1AD-4FA7-BB09-AB64C8BD0B77.webp

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

This is completely missing the point. As much as you want us to be, we are not Alabama, Texas, USC, etc. Our uniforms hold no weight in the historical context of college football. It’s just true. Uniform variety is a positive for a school like us. As I said in a previous post, we should have stability and have a primary home/away uni. But this constant grunt of “it’s cheer for the green and white!” is fruitless bc at the end of the day, you’re not the one wearing it. So why do you care so much. If the players like it, I like it. 

All of this

We have no traditions or history. Why have such a stick up your ass about needing a green jersey and white pants every single game.

Same with the throwbacks. The flying worm is cool but every game? Hayden Fry hasn’t coached here in 50 years, so get over it and have some variety. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1